Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Reginald Denny was [b][color:#3333FF]fighting for his life,[/color][/b] and the L.A. Koreans looked like some bad MOFO's. That's about all I can instantly remember

I remember watching this in the college dorm room, live as it happened. Being a Rube from small town America, I had never seen some good old fashioned rioting/looting, or anything like it.

Where were you?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was about ten miles north in Studio City.

Interesting times.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
On South Main in Gardena, trying not to go check on a crew at Chevron.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sitting at a bar in the St. Louis airport waiting to board a flight to Oklahoma City to attend a banking school at the Univ of Oklahoma. My first time seeing rioting as well. I remember well the Korean grocers protecting their property from the marauding bands of savages.

Last edited by Squirrelnut; 04/29/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's exzackry how one should handle those threats. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
White "sweat bands" for a uniform? wink

And cigarettes too.

Agreed, we need more storeowners in every city protecting their investments that way.

Also, a few good '06 rounds coming out of the good citizens' windows might put a dent in driveby cars and the occupants, no?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aboard the USGCC Escape. Just finished REFTRA in Little Creek, sailing back to Charleston. Seems like a long time ago, but it went quick!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Probably fishing or varmint shooting! I was still working, I don,t think we had a tv then..

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Within a few days of 25 years ago, I was in Compton, with the 1st Marine Regiment. Giving the cops a badly needed break, and detaining lots of rioters.

A lot of people have forgotten that active duty Marine and Army units were deployed to Los Angeles to quell those riots. It worked. One rifle company used 140 sets of flex cuffs the first night... Good/bad memories.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thank you GuyM, i was outside the GM plant in Southgate, praying for deliverance.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It seems to be a common theme that no one is still around those parts.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DryPowder
It seems to be a common theme that no one is still around those parts.

My wife and I left in Nov., 1997. We've never regretted it. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When this was going on I was forty eight years old thanking the Lord I had gotten out of the Army twenty five years previous to this rioting. My, how time does fly!

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I remember that lame ass curfew. We left in '94.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Working for TXDOT in Dallas/Mesquite. Living and commuting from Sulpher Springs.

I believe the black county commissioner John Wylie Price was calling for a similar riot in Dallas.

My buddy called me a joked we needed to get our deer rifles and "get some freebies!" if they did it.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Watched the 2hr National Geographic documentary "LA 92" last night. Had Tons of footage I had never seen before. Covers everything from the initial Rodney Kind incident, thru the trial to the riots.

It covered the shooting of a 15 year old girl that happened right before the Rodney King incident that was a catalyst for the anger over R. King. I hadn't seen the story of the girl before.

Worth a watch if you can catch it.

Last edited by Deerwhacker444; 05/01/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deerstalker
thank you GuyM, i was outside the GM plant in Southgate, praying for deliverance.

Damn deerstalker, you were close! I lived in Downey at that time. Those rioting pricks didn't make it over there, but, they wanted to. Those Korean's kept those lowlife's at bay. Crappy time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had to make a delivery in Montebello, picked up in Oxnard. Worried my little 22 year old Pa hillbilly ass to death. Not familiar with the area and did not know good areas from bad untill I was in them. A road tractor with a 53 foot trailer is not very agile on city streets, road block, or just parked cars and your asss is in trouble.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was at Fort Benning, GA, watching in sad disbelief. Many years later I became a Police Officer. I had a Sergeant who atended some training with some LA County Homicide Detectives, who procesed the Korea Town homicides. Their story went something like this:

The Detectives looked hard a the site of the slain rioter. By checking everything from blood splatter and bullet pock marks in surrounding wall, they determined that the rounds came from the building owned by Mr. Park. The Detectives went to Mr. Parks's store and asked him,

"Mr. Park. Did you shoot anybody from the top of your store?"

Mr. Park, nervously shaking his head said vehemently, "NO! NO! I did not shoot anybody!"

The Detectives looked at each other and sadly shook their heads. One said, scribbling a line on the case file,

"Another unsolved gang murder."

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Those Koreans didn't play. They knew how to deal with rioters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.