M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by molly
My Dads turtle soup..........

You ever try any food or southern fried chicken? smile

When I was a kid in the south, they served turtle soup in the local restaurants, and food too......................

Catfish and hush puppies is a close second............

Last edited by molly; 05/16/17.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No contest, Great Grandma's homemade Kolatchkes...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've eaten a lot of stuff so hard to say what's the best. Two things that come to mind that surprised me how much I liked them.

Fried cape buffalo oysters and stir fried duck chitlins. Both cases I didn't want to share them with the rest of the dinner guests they were so good.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
wahoo is at the top right behind a blond from Amarillo.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
First cup of hot coffee while on a field problem where the freezing rain left ice on my helmet and ruck.

For food, it would have to be deer loin briefly marinated in low salt soy sauce, and pan fried to the rare side of medium rare in an iron skillet along with onion and pepper crusted bacon, served with my mashed potatoes and my daughters brown bread with too much butter and a Smithwicks.

For restaurant food, Dennis's pork chops in mushroom sauce at the Cuban club on GItmo. Maybe it was just that it wasn't galley food, but it was really excellent.

Old 70

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

Is this what you call a kolache? This is what all the Czechs here make.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
So hard to choose just one. I remember the pizza some guys and I ordered right after graduating basic training was among the best I ever had. The backstrap my grandma cooked up on my first deer was really good. The breakfast of Chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy with hashbrowns and eggs over easy at IHOP right after getting home from my first tour in Iraq was amazing as well!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Not your favorite food...the BEST thing you ever ate. (Be polite, we 're talking about food. smile )

[Linked Image]

Caribou tenderloins broiled over hot coals from a campfire on the Anisak River, 2009. Best steak I ever ate. Maybe the ambience had something to do with it.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

Is this what you call a kolache? This is what all the Czechs here make.

[Linked Image]

What part of OK do you live in? Likely some of them Czechs are kinfolk of mine. Funny as a kid I never knew anyone else who ate kolaches, we're the only Czech descended family around our little town and Grandmom always made a giant pile of poppyseed, prune, and apricot kolaches around Christmas time.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Corn fed Angus beef ribeye steak med rare grilled with baked potato, sour cream topping and strawberries for desert. With iced tea on my patio.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yer gitten old an yer taste buds er dying. We used to like good American food. wink

If'n yous be talkin' at me, ain't so's.

I'm a ripe old 32!

Just developed a bit of desire for flavor. Salt and pepper don't cut it on a burger. Needs me some Montreal Steak seasoning these days.

When I first started eating onions they'd make me get the runs I'd eat so much (think fajitas).

Can't eat real spicy stuff. I only order 3 out of 5 stars on the white people scale. Ask for 3 of 5 "Thai stars" at a Thai joint and I can't get further than 10 ft from a toilet for 2 days. They know to tone it down for whitey. laugh

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
Yer gitten old an yer taste buds er dying. We used to like good American food. wink

If'n yous be talkin' at me, ain't so's.

I'm a ripe old 32!

Just developed a bit of desire for flavor. Salt and pepper don't cut it on a burger. Needs me some Montreal Steak seasoning these days.

When I first started eating onions they'd make me get the runs I'd eat so much (think fajitas).

Can't eat real spicy stuff. I only order 3 out of 5 stars on the white people scale. Ask for 3 of 5 "Thai stars" at a Thai joint and I can't get further than 10 ft from a toilet for 2 days. They know to tone it down for whitey. laugh
i can't eat most stuff without some type of hot sauce

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good beef only needs salt and a little pepper.

Garbage beef needs what ever you can find.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I think my best meal ever was elk tenderloin cooked on an open fire. I think it had as much to do with the fact that I was dog ass tired and hadn't eaten all day after hiking out that it tasted so ridiculously good.

I think in a more standard situation, lobster is the best thing I have ever eaten.

Agree. Years ago me and a bud killed my first bow elk and cooked the tenderloin that night caveman style and it was incredible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 24 oz T Bone at Doe's Eats Place in Greenville Ms. cooked rare.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Venison loin Saltimbocca and rosemary roasted red potatoes Is one of our family favorites.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Toddly
My wife.

I've never had good food at a buffet............

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Good beef only needs salt and a little pepper.

Garbage beef needs what ever you can find.

I ain't eating grass-fed fillets and strips. I'm not rich and ain't no rancher, friend. And no longer have those connections having left corn-land! Nothing better than fresh beef from the one who raised it and sweet corn you picked an hour earlier. I gotta move back to the midwest.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
As several have mentioned, seafood right out of the water, the salt especially, is hard to beat.

When commercial fishing and a fat king rolled out of the bag, we'd run a stringer through it and tie it of on the hatch so we could pull it right out of the RSW at the end of the day. Fillet it while it was flopping and onto the grill. Soooo good.

Similarly, king crab right out of the water and into a pot of boiling sea water. Hard to compare to what is available at the market.

As a kid I would sometimes go with pop on work trips to south LA and MS. Sitting in a hotel room with dad, eating crawfish out of a bag we bought from the guy with a cook barrel by the dock, drinking a grape soda......

A Delmonico steak and fresh corn on the cobb with our "uncle" Mr Myatt. Or the first time he cooked up a fish fry with the fish we caught at his place on Crystal River.

Hell, even those Vienna sausages I shared with pop in the john boat. I'd love to be there eating a can with him again.

Anyway.....it'd be hard to pin down the best thing I ever ate, as it was never so much about the food as it was the folks I got to share it with or the adventure that produced it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 10Glocks, 35, 300_savage, 14idaho, 12 invisible), 1,048 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,416
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.