Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ignorance of the history of firearm development displayed on this thread is telling. I'm reminded of the kid that told me about the new rock band he'd just heard on the radio: Aerosmith.

Striker-fired, double column magazines, trigger safeties, tilting barrels - state-of-the-art to some, but actually date back 100-years and more. What is actually state-of-the-art in firearms manufacturing is the ability to manufacture mediocre firearms cheaper than ever before. Sig is providing the P320 to the Army for $205 per unit.

For those that can't manipulate a safety, your skills suck.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
You were 100% correct. But I wanted to expand. Then the wife interrupted me to help her with something. True story.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The other thread talking about the Browning Hi-Power. Classic design with higher capacity than the 1911(the first). Is that a compromise here?

It's a classy gun. KnightHawk Custom thinks so.

Some think the cam is better than the link. Also no grip safety. Very positive thumb safety. Accurate. Dam nice looking. 32 oz.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG

It's not an issue of being able to manipulate it. It's not even an issue of being able to train to a high degree of automatic action in doing so. It's a matter of the reality that when the SHTF, all that can, and often does, go out the window. You can't just say, well, that means that guy has bad skills. It's a human reaction to a sudden dump of adrenaline.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Gibby
The other thread talking about the Browning Hi-Power. Classic design with higher capacity than the 1911(the first). Is that a compromise here?

It's a classy gun. KnightHawk Custom thinks so.

Some think the cam is better than the link. Also no grip safety. Very positive thumb safety. Accurate. Dam nice looking. 32 oz.

Roger that.
Bob

[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I love my 1911's , but the Hi-Power is one of the best looking pistol there is IMO.

...and it is more than good looks. The most balanced pistol out there. Naturally returns to aim point fast. The double tap king IMO.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by JOG

It's not an issue of being able to manipulate it. It's not even an issue of being able to train to a high degree of automatic action in doing so. It's a matter of the reality that when the SHTF, all that can, and often does, go out the window. You can't just say, well, that means that guy has bad skills. It's a human reaction to a sudden dump of adrenaline.

This problem may be mitigated by simplifying the manual of arms but it can only be solved by the appropriate training we all revert to when the SHTF.

It also explains those cases when a hi-cap plastic SF pistol is shot dry within 5 yards and no lethal hits result. Don't blame the pistol, change the operator's skill set.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I love my 1911's , but the Hi-Power is one of the best looking pistol there is IMO.

...and it is more than good looks. The most balanced pistol out there. Naturally returns to aim point fast. The double tap king IMO.

All true. I haven't been without one since the late 1980s.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Bought mind new in '70. But just recently renewed my interest. Mainly because of the caliber. But now, there are so many good choices of ammo out there for the 9mm. I am confident that 13+1 is enough for my protection. Don't get me wrong, my primary city gun is the Wiley LW Commander. In the winter I carry the Special Combat Government .38 Super some also.

I ordered a set of Hogue Checkered Kingwood grips for the Hi-Power. Have not received them yet. Should go well with that hi polish Belgium model. I hope.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
….my primary city gun is the Wiley LW Commander...

…you're a man of superior wisdom, insight and judgement, Gibby. Wiley Clapp Commander and the DW Guardian are the BEST out of the box carry 1911's made at an affordable price.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you "forget" to swipe off the safety on a 1911 it's because your draw and grip sucks, not because of adrenaline.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If you "forget" to swipe off the safety on a 1911 it's because your draw and grip sucks, not because of adrenaline.

+1

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

Sorry Hawk, but most of that adrenaline dump crap is the result of too many YouTube videos and the tacticools. The same guys that can't press a slide release after a magazine change due to "loss of fine motor skills" can magically hit the magazine button in the first place. The same guys that are too feeble with excitement to use a thumb safety tell me to stage the trigger for those 50-yard head shots in the heat of battle. Hey look, M4's and riot guns have safeties - are all those users doomed?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm partial to the full-sized Gov't Clapp. A nice Colt .45 and a BHP...dated, but still useful.
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 06/10/17.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RGK
I'm partial to the full-sized Gov't Clapp. A nice Colt .45 and a BHP...dated, but still useful.
Bob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice. No way those weapons are obsolete. Just an older religion.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My F-250 pickup has a manual transmission. It's not obsolete either, but it's no longer offered. Lots of folks just don't know how to use a manual tranny anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
My F-250 pickup has a manual transmission. It's not obsolete either, but it's no longer offered. Lots of folks just don't know how to use a manual tranny anymore.

I got rid of all my manual transmission cars because I figured under stress I would forget how to shift gears.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I got rid of all my manual transmission cars because I figured under stress I would forget how to shift gears.

Drop the mike.

Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by JOG

Sorry Hawk, but most of that adrenaline dump crap is the result of too many YouTube videos and the tacticools. The same guys that can't press a slide release after a magazine change due to "loss of fine motor skills" can magically hit the magazine button in the first place. The same guys that are too feeble with excitement to use a thumb safety tell me to stage the trigger for those 50-yard head shots in the heat of battle. Hey look, M4's and riot guns have safeties - are all those users doomed?

Didn't say anyone was doomed, but it's an extra step that's not required with a Glock. Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) would seem to apply.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it's an "extra step", you're draw and grip is wrong.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

309 members (338reddog, 219 Wasp, 30Gibbs, 10ring1, 29aholic, 348srfun, 37 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,217
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.