-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a boresighter after I mount the scope to align the crosshairs. Then I shoot at a 25 yard target, and use the same method he used, as it's easier to see at 25 yards, especially with a lower powered scope. That usually takes 2-3 shots. Then I move out to a 100 yard target and see how it shoots there. On most rifles, it will only take 4-5 shots to zero at a 100. I have done it with less shots. I once mounted a scope that had came off of another rifle, and it was dead on a 100 yards. That was pure luck, nothing else.

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Toddly
To be done correctly you need a gun vise. You lose your original aim point when you start moving the sight turret. Hand held is not the way to go.

Agree, I've never been able to hold the rifle steady enough with sand bags.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
To be done correctly you need a gun vise. You lose your original aim point when you start moving the sight turret. Hand held is not the way to go.

I don't hold the gun like he done, I adjust it on the sandbags until the bore is centered on the dot I'm looking at, then adjust the cross hairs. When you look back through the bore if it moved you put it back on the dot and then check your cross hairs all without touching the gun. Sometimes takes 2-3 times back and forth but when you are done your first shot at 100 yds will be close to being right on and you can adjust to your desired impact at 100 yds from there.

I follow this, but at about 50 yards or what the range will support.

If you have a decent rest set-up for the rifle, adjusting the scope to the point of first round impact isn't hard.

Having the discipline to stay in the scope while you are dialing the adjustment is.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That looks too technical for me. Anymore I just shoot hedge apples in the fall to get shiet worked out...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yeah i always bore sight first on my neighbors door knob from my dining room table, usually within 2-3 inches.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
That will work, but he almost missed the target on the first shot. On a bolt gun I remove the bolt and look down the bore at a small dot on a target 50-60 ft away. This is on sandbags of course. Adjust your cross hairs until they're centered on the same dot, verify through the bore that you're still looking down the center of the bore at the dot, and you are good to go. Most guns you will be real close to zero at 100 yds on your first shot.

this has always worked for me with bolt guns anyways

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by stxhunter
yeah i always bore sight first on my neighbors door knob from my dining room table, usually within 2-3 inches.

Knock Knock!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Virginian2

Same here.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm amazed that anyone would ask if it works. Don't see how it can't.

As far as I can recall, its never failed me.

Obviously group size will affect this a bit. And quality of the shot will always affect it.

Didn't realize folks did it any other way actually. At least about the last 40 years or so of my life anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I can pull the bolt, I do a bore sight. I mount the rifle in my cleaning cradle, and find a street light looking through the barrel. Then I zero the scope to the light. Then I shoot at 100, and move the scope to the bullet hole.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RickyD

Same here.

I'm an only child. I only have a front rest with bag and rear rest. Its never been a problem for me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by RickyD

Same here.

I'm an only child. I only have a front rest with bag and rear rest. Its never been a problem for me.

That's because you ain't an idiot.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the method portrayed works fine. it works well in reverse with a set of well-defined crosshairs.

either way is good for an effective methodology to sight-in a new rifle, scope, etc.

it's interesting that a 25 yard zero equals about a 4moa high at 100.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i just like to let my rifle cool down between shots.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by stxhunter
not letting the rifle cool down between shoots.

It you have a properly stress relieved barrel, you don't need to.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scoping is not rocket science - take a peanut butter jar with a red lid about 4" or 5" in diameter - lay it on top of a gate post about 50 yards distant with the red lid facing your rest. Unless you are one of those strange lever or auto gun guys, remove the bolt, sit the rifle on a solid rest (bags?) and see the red lid through the barrel - get it in the middle. Hold that sucker there tight and adjust the cross hairs (backwards?) to center them upon that same red lid. If you want a higher POI, settle the cross hairs nearer the bottom of that red peanut butter jar lid.

Then, put the bolt in, put up a nice big piece of white paper (with some kinda dot in the middle) 100 yards or so from your rest, load a round, aim at the dot and gently squeeze. The bullet hole will tell you how you did with the bore sighting. Then, get the cross hairs steady on the same dot you aimed at - keep holding the rifle tight on the rest and on the dot - look through the scope and turn knobs until the cross hairs are on the bullet hole. Then fire a bunch of rounds to celebrate - sighting-in party. Eat the remaining peanut butter.

Now, zillions of guys know how to do all of that - it has worked well for them for decades. One of these days I need to try it.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RIO7
#1 First thing I would tell this guy is stay on the gun, do not fire a round and then look over the scope to see if and were you hit the target. that's what the scope is for to help you see the target.
#2 he would do better job with a much smaller target on a sheet of paper.
#3 I usually shoot better when I am not looking thru a scope into the sun.
#4 bore site first.
#5 point of aim and point of impact should be the same exactly.
#6 Most modern calibers shoot very flat to 200 yrds forget the 2" over 100 yrds and site in for POA & POI 200 yrds you won't miss much from point blank to 300
#7 Don't listen to me , do what works for you.
Rio7

So THAT'S how you've been doing it! You've been cheating and thinking about what you're doing! Plus 70 years of experience... grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use a tipton best gun vise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely perfect, but one needs to put the arm in vice before beginning his adjustments. I think one also needs a very small and well defined bull's eye. Not seen anyone with the needed equipment at our local range.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/14/17.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you're already 'on paper', a lot of methods work fine. The guy in the vid was definitely on paper,

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

403 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 46 invisible), 3,423 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,576
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.