Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1218863 01/27/07
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It sure seems like it would be more popular with a straight stock and a 18-20" barrel. I know I'd buy one. It's just too long for a .22 IMO.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Isn't that a Mountie?

Personally, I think it don't any better than a pistol grip stock with a 24" barrel. Balances just like it oughta..........

Black Cows Matter!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought one with the 24" barrel 2 weeks ago and really like the way it balances. Shoots much better offhand than by 10/22. Will be getting after some squirrels in the AM with it if the wind settles.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great balance as is for offhand shooting in hunting situations.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Another plus is the longer barrel really quiets the CB caps used for quiet practice/varminting.

(Psa 18:34) He trains my hands for battle, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

ought6

IC B2

D
D
I agree with SwampMan, as I prefer the straight stock. You might look for the Marlin model 1897 Texan. It was made in limited numbers in 2005 (?). Had a 20" octagon barrel and straight stock. Handles much better than the war-club they dressed the regular 39s in.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been checking out the 39As and boy they are expensive. I may have to choke and buy a Henry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A plastic Henry would be mighty nice to pass on down to the Grandkid someday...............

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Only a couple of pieces are plastic. For less than 1/2 the cost of the 39A, it seems worth considering. I don't think the Golden Boy has any plastic.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
If you buy a Henry over a 39A, you'll regret it.

I was at the G'boro show yesterday, and 39A mounties (20" tubes, straight grips) are going for $300ish. Not much more than the Henry, but a lot more for the $$$. There's more plastic and monkey-metal in the Henry that I'd ever want in any firearm.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A Henry would have to stand on its momma's shoulders just to kiss the a$$ of a Marlin M39! I hate to see the two even mentioned in the same thread.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The "Golden Boy" has a "brasslite" receiver? WTF? If that ain't monkeymetal, I'll eat my hat.

Get the 39A and don't consider anything else. If you do, and you pass on the 39A, you'll regret it and eventually come back around to spend $$$ on what you should have in the first place.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You can't find a used or new 39A for sale here. To order one cost $500.00.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
If you'd told me that 24 hours ago, that problem could have been solved.

Whatcha looking for? 39A, straight stock, 20" tube? What's your price range?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't have the cash right this second. Maybe in a month or 2. A 20" tube and a straight stock would be my preference.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looked over a new Henry yesterday at a local gunshow. Even the level on the dang thing flexes as if it's plastic. Maybe it isn't, but it sure felt and looked plastic.

Don't know much of the new 39A, but one of a little age is quite a bit better shootin' iron than what Henry has to offer. I can't get passed the butt-ugly safety they stuck into the receiver of the new Marlins. I guess they forgot what an exposed hammer is for.

Saw two 20+ year old 39A's with asking prices of $365 and $385. Neither was in great shape, but both far nicer than the new Henry. They're around, just gotta look a bit.

Black Cows Matter!
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Swampman1;

I'll keep my eyes/ears open.

A standard 39A (24", checkered, pistol grip) is in the local Gander Mtn. for $420. Just FYI...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They aren't even avalible through Gallery of Guns. I'll keep looking.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
What aren't?

The 39A variant you're looking for (20" tube, straight stock) were discontinued a few years ago; i.e. no new ones, but a good number of used running around.

The standard 39As (24" barrel, checkered pistol grip stock) are available daily in most places.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
swampman:

It would be worth going through your gunsafe and culling one or two rifles or pistols to make up the price difference between a 39A and a Henry.

There's a bunch of people prayin' for ya here, not to go down that wrong, wrong road.

- TJM

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
muleshoe,
All my Marlin levers, including my 39A, are older models and I share your dislike of the "side safety." However, that is an easy fix. The safety can be removed and replaced with a two piece gizmo that for all the world looks just like one of the screws in the receiver. I always found it interesting that Winchester never felt the need for a safety on the lever action 94/22 rifle, even when their centerfire lever models came equipped with the safety. Browning didn't butcher the lines of the little BL22 with one either.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Swampman1;

There should be a few of those 39As with 20" tubes and straight stocks at the Charlotte, NC gun show on Feb. 24. Just an FYI...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd heard they had a "fix" for the safety they stuck on both the 39A and the centerfire family of levers. Kinda funny how they stick those things in there then build a gizmo to hide it. Didn't Remington do the same thing for their wart looking J-lock?

Black Cows Matter!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Keep looking around and definatly buy a Marlin not a henry!! I just picked up a fairly beat up Golden 39 made in 1984 for $250. Its got some small rust freckles and stock is just ok, but I cleaned her up and she shoots great!! My 15yr old son don't know about it yet, but next time we shoot (if it ever gets above 10 degrees) I'll suprise him with it and not care if he dings it up. Be patient and keep looking.Deals can be found if you're not in a hurry.And to my thinking if I'm not looking for some "rare" collectors item condition don't matter too much as long as its basically sound and shoots straight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Main flaw with the 39 is poor gas handling, if a case head pops there is a straight path for gas and bits of brass down the sides of the firing pin to the shooter's eye. This is not just theory, there have been a few accidents, one boy lost an eye. Be sure to wear glasses .... which you should shooting any firearm anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My M39A has a small gas vent hole in the left side of the receiver to handle such a catastrophic case failure.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Swampman,
When you get ready to buy look me up. I have stuffed in the back of the safe an extra golden 39m from the late 70's thats in very good condition. I think its what you're after. My first rifle was a 39a from the same period and I buy em up when I see em.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think I may sell mine,39AS, had it all of 2 weeks and just dont like the feel of it,,,guess I am to used to lighter weight bolt actions

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
My M39A has a small gas vent hole in the left side of the receiver to handle such a catastrophic case failure.

Did you drill it yourself? I think the hammer pretty much covers the bolt and fireing pin.

Bob

one horn, I might be interested in a not too fancy 39M if you had a extra. Just a good shooter nothing that cant be taken out and used by my grandsons.Give a hollar.

Some of them come like that. I dont know what year they started it . Maybe about the time of the C.B.S.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No, it's a factory thing. My rifle is a 1976 version.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Give me some feed-back on the Marlin 39!
Have owned 6, 94-22's Presently have a 94-22 Legacy with pistol grip and 24" barrel. My all-time favorite!
But all this talk of the 39, got me to thinking...I've never owned one! Might have to buy one for a comparison!
How's the micro-groove rifleing hold up? could a guy shoot it for a "lifetime" of rimfire fun?
The button saifty is a turn-off. From what I've read, these were inplemented about 1985. Is this about right?
Might have to start looking for an older gun (grin!)
Thanks! Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't belive no one has tried to "twist my arm" on the Marlin 39.
Guess this thred is just fizzeling out.
Most people seem to favor the Marlin.
Might have to give one a try!(grin!)
Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you do a search you'll find out many, many, shooters and hunters favor the M39A. There just isn't much, if anything, to dislike about the Marlin. Buy one and you will not regret it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MOGC,
I've got $400. "burning a hole in my pocket" and am thinking an investment in a quality 22 would be sound advice.
Anyone know of a Marlin pre saifty, for sale in Oregon???
Am thinking I would prefer a "mountie" but am open to the 39A with 24" barrel also.
Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
All my Marlin's are pre-safety guns, but I don't think it is really a huge deal about the safety. Somebody makes a little widget that replaces the safety and looks like a screw in the receiver. It actually works quite well. Keep on the lookout and eventually you'll find your M39. I know you'll enjoy the rifle, they are class acts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MOGC,
Dose the newer 39, with the saifty have a half-cock notch in the hammer? Have read they have a "rebounding" hammer?
Need more info here!
Also, how 'bout that micro-groove rifeling? Dose it hold up over the long-run?
Thanks! Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 04/25/07.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My Marlin's are older models without the safety and have a half cock. Honestly, I haven't fiddled with a newer one in so long that I really cannot remember if the 39AS has a half cock or not. Regarding the micro-groove rifling, absolutely it "holds up." The M39 is one of the oldest rifles still being produced and are dead nutts reliable. Troubles are few and far between, and, usually easily fixed. Rimfire barrels don't get "shot out" like a high velocity centerfire barrel. They can be damaged or neglected, but with proper maintenance and care you just don't shoot out a quality .22 LR barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MOGC,
Thanks for the feed-back!
I'll start looking at gun shows, and pawn shops for a pre-saifty model. If I run out of patience, I'll go ahead and "spring" for a new one! (grin!)
Still would like to have the mountie, but once the "bug" bites, I might not settle for only one! (grin, again!)
Prolly have to call Sportsman's Warehouse tomarrow....
Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Called Sportsmans Warehouse. They want $460. for a new 39, but don't have one in stock.
Guss I'll keep looking.(grin!)
Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WaaaaHoooo!
I found my Marlin Mountie, in Salem.Or. about an hours drive from me.
It's a pre-saifty but dosen't have the gas port. Prolly 'bout 85% condition. $335. out the door.
First 5 shot group was just over 5/8" at 30 yards with rem. H.P.'s
I did have a "fire sight" front put on. Sure seems to help!
Didn't think I could shoot open sights this good!
And, YES, I like my Marlin better than my Winchester!
Thanks to all for the help!
Virgil B.

Had my 39A out for its second test since buying it in mid 06.
Once I got the rear site drifted a little it worked like a charm. I even amazed myself when I hit a Necco wafer at 25 yards off hand. With my age and eyes I have a little difficulty with the buckhorn site and dot bead. But all in all its a fun gun. The only problems I had was when I left an empty ctg. in the chamber and it was struck twice, then I had to pick it out of the chamber with a screwdriver.
Picked up a Browning BL-22 Grade II with octagon barrel last week, it still needs a field test.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Posted this over on "rimfires" also, but need the date of manufacture of my "new" Marlin 39A. It's a Golden Mountie and the # is S 233XX. Am thinking it is even older than I thought. My Gun Digest lists it in 1974 but not '75.
Thanks! Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got my D.O.M. on another thread. Guss my gun was mfg. 1958-1959
Thanks! Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Traded a Russian SKS for a 39A made in 1949 at a gun show yesterday. straight across trade and the guy was a FFL holder too. SKS was factory refurb 99% and the 39a is well used on the outside but nothing is broke and doesn't look to have been shot much, inside and bore are perfect. I couldn't believe it when he said " yeah I can do that" after I had almost jokingly ask him if he would like to trade. She shoot great, no paper yet.
I have owned a couple in the past and been sorry I sold em, sold one so's I could buy a Harley so that ain't so bad huh?, and I still have the scooter. Henry's are nice, we havd a Golden boy, but will never be a Marlin 39 the oldest continually made sporting gun in the world, since 1891.
If you want one look on Gunbroker or Auction Arms and pass on the new ones. Thats is what I would do, heck with that silly cross safety, but to each his own and the new ones do have checkering.

If you wanna know when your's was made take a look here.
http://armscollectors.com/sn/marlinlookup.php

Last edited by 700LH; 05/21/07.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by MOGC
A Henry would have to stand on its momma's shoulders just to kiss the a$$ of a Marlin M39! I hate to see the two even mentioned in the same thread.

Great comment, however I think is is a gross understatement of the difference, in value and quality, between the Marlin 39A and the POS Henry rifle...

Bill

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Marlin 39A's are made to close tolerances, which makes the action stuff in the begining. Shoot it and the action will wear in silky smooth.

Or, at least the eight that I own did...!

Bill

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Local shop has a 39A, octagon barrel model for sale, if anyone is intrested. I'd buy it myself if I had the money!
I'm thinking it was $595. Not positive on the price.
Contact info. is; Mazama Sporting Goods. 541-484-9993 Eugene, Or.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My local gun shop has an octagon barreled 39 also,but it's a takedown somebody has tried to case color it to look like a one piece! He wants 600 for it I would give 400!

My 39A is an E series (1948)no micro-groove! But still much above any plastic slide Henry! And no slight against Henry cause he started it all!

Bob

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by bobbyjack
My local gun shop has an octagon barreled 39 also,but it's a takedown somebody has tried to case color it to look like a one piece! He wants 600 for it I would give 400!

My 39A is an E series (1948)no micro-groove! But still much above any plastic slide Henry! And no slight against Henry cause he started it all!

Bob

All Marlin lever-action 22's are take-down models and have been since the 1891 model.

I have a 39A that I would like to have Case hardened, if I could find someone that did good bone and charcoal case hardening, that didn't take a year or more, to do it...

Bill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My M-39 is a 1956 model, however my 45-70 Guide gun has the saftey. I simply ground the saftey pin off flush in the off position blued it and foget its there, and it's still available if you want to use it (WHY) by pushing with a pen, pencil or some other pointed tool. Hadn't heard of the replacment part that looks like a screw, probably a better idea.

Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a Willims 5-D peep mounted on my 39A yesterday. Sure makes hitting easy, and the fiber optic front really stands out for my old eyes.
Got a 15/16" 5 shot group at 30 yards, even with the final sight adjustment included.
Virgil B.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Several models of the Marlin 39 were produced with straight grips and shorter barrel of 20 inches..even one with an octogon barrel..Shop around, check the gunlist, they are out there and available..I have a Mountie, and its in the configuration that you want...

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Atkinson,

Are you interested in a local sale of your Mountie?

Mackaysagebrushyahoo.com

Last edited by Mackay_Sagebrush; 07/14/07.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dad still has the little Model 39 Mountie that he got sometime in the late 1950's or early 1960's. He taught me, and a whole mess of kids to shoot with that little Marlin. I picked up an old 39A for $250 last year and it makes a great practice rifle.

[Linked Image]

What's the best scope mount for a one-inch scope on the 39A?

Thanks, Guy

Last edited by GuyM; 08/15/07.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't Marlin make a 39A or 1894 in 22 Magnum?I've never seen one-any good?

I gotta get around to picking up a 39A.I've wanted one for years.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Didn't Marlin make a 39A or 1894 in 22 Magnum?I've never seen one-any good?

I gotta get around to picking up a 39A.I've wanted one for years.

WB.

Marlin made a 22 magnum on the 1894 frame and called it the model 1894M. It was discontinued after a short run.

The Marlin 39A is too small to chamber into a 22 magnum...!

Bill

D
D
Had a few, shot a few different lever guns, still have my old 39A!Not for sale. But need a butteplate to make it perfect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (21, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 27 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,492,998
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.