-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First time pulling a 4 bike trailer straight to Sturgis and back 3700 miles stopping only for fuel, food and reststops.
First time the heat was was killing me.
First time for my buddy to return since his chemo (he couldn't take the drive so I picked him up at the airport in Rapid city the following day).
First trip for 2 of my other friends to attend the rally.
NOT the first time the wind and rain made P dog shooting challenging.
First time in ten trips to get pulled over by SD State trooper...It was quick, professional and painless smile
NOT the last time that I'll be attending!!

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sturgis is a long way to go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes it is...But worth it for some of the best rides I've ever taken...Plus I get to hang out with my son and a couple of really good Buds !!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The bridge transitions are rough and the DOT tries to come up with a smoother design all the time but your best bet is still to slow down a bit. Glad your wreck wasn't worse than it was. I might be wrong but I think the numbers were really down this year. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
The bridge transitions are rough and the DOT tries to come up with a smoother design all the time but your best bet is still to slow down a bit.
I never go above 65 with the camper on the back. And I-90 through SD has really improved the bridge approaches. Only one or two need to be addressed now.. The WORST is the one on I-94 eastbound just across the St. Croix river bridge at Hudson. There's simply no excuse for that one. I've emailed the WI-DOT district for that bump and read 'em the riot act.. I wonder what response I'll get back?? laugh Frankly, if they get defensive about it then they'll REALLY get an earful. I've HAD IT with that area..
Glad your wreck wasn't worse than it was.
Me too. It could have been much,much worse..
I might be wrong but I think the numbers were really down this year. MB
Ditto. Best guess is 350K or so.. Two years ago, at the 75th, the numbers quoted was 750K +/-.. Bullchit.. More like 1.2 Mil, at least.. I've never seen that many bikes on the roads/streets...EVER..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I never once trailered a bike to Sturgis or any other run.What a bunch of [bleep].

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Next year I will sell jacket patches that say" Live to trailer my Harley-Trailer my Harley to Live!!!

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Huntz
I never once trailered a bike to Sturgis or any other run.What a bunch of [bleep].
Oh, really?? And you're in need of some education my friend..

We always rode ours out every year, but the wife cannot do long trips any more. About 250 miles is her limit - and we're 675 from the campground. She can't take 4 extra days off work to drive to/from - so (ergo) the trailer..

Usually trailering is done for (a) health reasons or (2) time constraints..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
1) FIRST time the round-trip to/from Sturgis did NOT require the use of a spare tire..

2) FIRST time the overall ambient temp during the entire rally hovered around the 68-75F range.. Lady at the campground said she's been there for over 15 years and this was the coolest rally she's ever seen. I've been going since '92 and had not seen temps this cool overall either.. Hurts the beer sales.. laugh

3) FIRST time I had damage to the bike upon arrival at the campground. One of the (Micky Mouse) tie-downs in the camper's garage let go and the bike tipped over and the bracket that holds the LH aux. llight/signal light broke in half.. Next morning at the HD dealership in Rapid City found me first in line at the parts desk. Back to the bike, (thank God I bring a large assortment of tools) the wife held it in place while I spliced in new wires. Remounted, all works fine, whew..

4) FIRST time I ever had damage to the camper via a Class-A motorhome that was in the process of passing me on I-90 about a dozen miles E of Rapid City when a gust of wind from the approaching storm front caused him to get pushed into the LH rear quarter. Best guess is $1K damage to mine. But his camper, upon the slight impact, broke off his RH mirror assembly and had the awning disengage and get ripped completely off from the wind and land on the freeway.. eek Cars behind him scattered like cockroaches to avoid the carnage..

Going to get a damage estimate this am and send him the bill. Very nice guy, apologized profusely, owns some cement business in IL.. The SD trooper (another VERY nice buy, btw) wrote up the report and it'll be available online in a few days.

Glad to be home. Can't wait for next year.. laugh laugh

Lee, I wish I'd have known you were there. I was, too!

2600 mile RT including farting around the area on the bikes.

We're trailering next year.

Last edited by David_Walter; 08/15/17.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With the new Harleys you have a better chance of having a problem with your bike in a trailer than riding it.
In the old days we would throw them in a trailer because they couldn't make it without using 3-4 qts of oil and 4-5 breakdowns, and that's riding from Minnesota.
My shop is swamped with returning broke and wrecked bikes.
God I love Sturgis $$$$$$

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Ran into a guy that was going home from it at a gas station. He'd had to lay his bike down to avoid a deer on the way home, got separated from the bike and did a nice slide down the highway for a bit. Bike and him survived with only bruises, thank God he'd been bright enough to wear his leathers.

We see those guys coming through here going to and coming from the rally wearing nothing but shorts, a tank top and a little bandana on their heads. Makes you wonder how many survive an incident like you describe.

Saw hundreds of those people at Sturgis.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Redneck, David Walter or anyone else that might attend the Rally with or without trailer...I would be happy to meet up with you next year even if we are a bunch of [Bleeps] smile !!!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Ah. Ironpants speaks. Color me unimpressed.

As Redneck points out, there are practical reasons for trailering to a rally. It has nothing to do with the size of one's balls. Although I've heard that having small cojones is more comfortable for long-distance riding, so that might be the difference between Huntz and the rest of us.
wink

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
2004 it got into the 30s at night. Never took my jacket off the whole time I was there. I was tenting it that year.

Fun to go and make fun of the people who trailered.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I might be wrong but I think the numbers were really down this year. MB

Yesterday was Rally hangover day at work.

I spoke with the Sturgis city manager yesterday, initial traffic count numbers are up from last year. The majority of the vendors had a better year also.

Another interesting statement was that non riding participants increased. People coming out to enjoy the party and staying in the campgrounds where there is a more anything goes attitude with entertainment/ concerts.

Higher percentage of down under participants from Australia and New Zealand. I even spoke to a lady from Tasmania. It is interesting talking to the people from out of country. They typically fly in to LA, Dallas, or back east. Then rent motorcycles to ride to Sturgis.

Most of the people that trailer, have valid reasons. I also spoke to a number of people from Washington state that rode hard to get here. If it were me, and I still owned a motorcycle, I thing the journey would be just as important as the destination. But then I do not have too far to go. grin

Fatalities are up per capita, with two still in the hospital in serious condition. frown Being in healthcare I see the dark side more than most.

I have lived in this area for 26 years, have seen the ebbs and flows. It certainly is an interesting two weeks. I used to own a motorcycle, but after having some very conservative riders I know get into serious/ fatal accidents, and working emergency departments for about 6 years.....I sold it.

Arcus Venator
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Ran into a guy that was going home from it at a gas station. He'd had to lay his bike down to avoid a deer on the way home, got separated from the bike and did a nice slide down the highway for a bit. Bike and him survived with only bruises, thank God he'd been bright enough to wear his leathers.

We see those guys coming through here going to and coming from the rally wearing nothing but shorts, a tank top and a little bandana on their heads. Makes you wonder how many survive an incident like you describe.

Already have our site reserved for next year.... Arriving Aug 1st - 8th.. Would love to meet up with y'all..

("Iron-pants"...) LMAO..

Me too.. We'd just shake our heads and move on.. One guy even had flip-flops on when riding the hog.. What a moron.. Wait a sec - maybe that was Huntz.... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CRS
I thing the journey would be just as important as the destination.
I agree... If it were just me, I'd fire up the Ultra and leave here about 3 am in order to miss the Twin City a-hole drivers, then arrive in Sturgis about 4:00 pm.. Did that for 20 years. And if anyone remembers, I left here on the bike for Wash. DC's Memorial Day ride and rode back; 3100 miles in 9 days; two of which were in excess of 625 each.. Longest single-day trip I've done was 735.. The new HDs are really pretty comfy units..

But one thing about the Rapid City/Stugis area is the very real probability of near-daily storms in the afternoon - many with hail in 'em. And the hail there can easily be big enough to knock yer azz right off the saddle.. IIRC, that bad storm that hit the Throttle a few years ago had cars stopping on I-90 to allow bikers to get in the back seats out of the hail.. Also, IIRC, one or two died in that storm.. Tennis-ball-sized hail can do that to ya.. eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Already have our site reserved for next year.... Arriving Aug 1st - 8th.. Would love to meet up with y'all..

("Iron-pants"...) LMAO..

Me too.. We'd just shake our heads and move on.. One guy even had flip-flops on when riding the hog.. What a moron.. Wait a sec - maybe that was Huntz.... laugh laugh

Hey, those were Harley flip flops.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Hey, those were Harley flip flops.

grin

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Me too.. We'd just shake our heads and move on.. One guy even had flip-flops on when riding the hog.. What a moron..

It makes me cringe. I wear boots, Kevlar jeans, gloves, and unless it's over 90F, I'm wearing an armored leather jacket when I ride. I've seen too many parts go missing due to lack of protective gear.

Somewhere around here I have a photo I snapped of a guy in my ER in Wisconsin a few years ago. Riding his Ultra in shorts and flip-flops. He laid the bike down to avoid rear-ending a stopped vehicle, and his foot got caught between the bike and the pavement. Imagine a line going from the space between the big toe and second toe, and running back to the outside edge of the heelbone; everything outside of that line was ground off. If I can find the pic I'll post it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (204guy, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 47 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,972
Posts18,499,393
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.