Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 36 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 35 36
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My weather app said Corpus has an 80% chance of light rain. grin

I wish I had a screenshot of the satelllite image right now, that big friggin' hurricane hovering just off of Corpus. That's an image for the ages.

The hurricane breeze has arrived up here, a steady relentless push of air from the east, rotating around the storm. Mostly cloudy out, outer rain bands look to be about half way between here and Corpus.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck to those closer to the coast than me, weathered many after 30 years in the Bayou City and we do need the rain in Texas, but not at the expense of lost lives and property damage.

Dave

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Stay Safe for you that stayed to protect what is yours
Prayers for all of ya.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
HEB and WalMart in west Houston starting to get pretty chaotic as of last night, to the point where I suddenly realized I had gone in there unarmed.....that won't happen again for the duration...

Tim

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
As to Ike, that one came ashore just east of Galveston, on Bolivar - hundreds of miles from Corpus. Ike didn't waste any time on the coast, just smashed on through. My folks in East Texas above Beaumont had more damage than we did on the coast, since we were maybe 40 miles from the landfall, and on the "dry" side. I didn't remember it making ti as far as Ohio, though? Don't think this one will do that, it's expected to drown Corpus for several days, then continue east on the coast - passing directly over my location, but as a Tropical Storm or at worst a Cat 1 Hurricane (which ain't good, but better than Cat 3 or 4!)

They're all different. Ike was a weak wind event with a Cat 5 tidal surge...third most costly storm in US history.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
As to Ike, that one came ashore just east of Galveston, on Bolivar - hundreds of miles from Corpus. Ike didn't waste any time on the coast, just smashed on through. My folks in East Texas above Beaumont had more damage than we did on the coast, since we were maybe 40 miles from the landfall, and on the "dry" side. I didn't remember it making ti as far as Ohio, though? Don't think this one will do that, it's expected to drown Corpus for several days, then continue east on the coast - passing directly over my location, but as a Tropical Storm or at worst a Cat 1 Hurricane (which ain't good, but better than Cat 3 or 4!)

They're all different. Ike was a weak wind event with a Cat 5 tidal surge...third most costly storm in US history.

Indianapolis had all the rain. Cincinnati got about 6 hours of high winds. I was a dumbass, and thought I could drive home in it-- completely underestimated what was coming. We were 60 miles east of town at the farm maintaining the treestands. When the wind got to 20 MPH I stopped painting and went out to the existing stands to replace straps. When the winds hit 30 MPH I tried to drive home. I knew when I was in trouble when large limbs started blowing across the road. By the time we got back to town it was the trees themselves blowing down. Duke Energy had sent all its bucket trucks to Texas, so we were a week getting electricity back.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And I had 8' of the Gulf of Mexico in my living room. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stay safe guys!

Looks like most of the models are in agreement as far as where it's going. but they all disagree as to what it's gonna do once it gets here

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
And I had 8' of the Gulf of Mexico in my living room. smile

I've been in one of those as well: Agnes in 1972. However, that was Florida and it was a motel room. It convinced me that I'd gladly trade mediocre barbeque and bad NFL for a home that never got hit with one of THOSE. I stay north of the TN line until after Hurricane Season is over.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
already saw one shady looking guy walking down the street checking houses out.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter

He's on the wrong street.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
let the games begin, winds picking significantly.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

He's on the wrong street.

GTC

yup

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Roger, if he walks down your street, step out on your front porch with your AR. You know, just to send a message.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EdM
Up here in Idaho and knew nothing of the storm until this thread. We fly back to San Antonio tomorrow and help move our son to College Station on Saturday. It appears we will get a bit of whether.

U better have good rain gear. SA to CS is about through our area.. 22 inches forecast here, mostly Saturday and Sunday... FWIW I wouldn't even attempt that move personally.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prayers for those in the path. 20-35 inches of rain is catastrophic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hope you gave that dude the stink eye. Best of luck to all you folks in the path of that monster.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From Wunderground.com...

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/h...ifies-catastrophic-flooding-likely-texas

The historical records of US hurricanes gives us few, if any, analogs for a major hurricane landfall that transitions into a multi-day rainfall event as prolonged, intensive and intense as the scenario painted by multiple forecast models for Harvey. All four of the high-probability OZ Friday model ensemble members, and all but one of the 20 GFS member, maintain Harvey at Cat 1 strength (or better) for the next five days.

This even given the eye goes inland tonight.

Damn......

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is the 7 day from NOAA for Corpus Cristi. It's going to a long ride for you.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=27.7964&lon=-97.4037#.WaBdVMaQzX4

Detailed Forecast
This Afternoon

Tropical storm conditions, with hurricane conditions possible. Showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall.
Tonight
Hurricane conditions expected. Showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 78. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts in excess of 4 inches possible.
Saturday
Tropical storm conditions expected, with hurricane conditions possible. Showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 83. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between 2 and 3 inches possible.
Saturday Night
Tropical storm conditions expected, with hurricane conditions possible. Showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 78. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Sunday
Hurricane conditions possible. Showers and thunderstorms likely. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Cloudy, with a high near 83. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Sunday Night
Hurricane conditions possible. Showers and thunderstorms likely. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Cloudy, with a low around 77. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Monday
Tropical storm conditions possible. Showers and thunderstorms likely. Cloudy, with a high near 82. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Monday Night
Showers and thunderstorms likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 77. Windy, with a north northwest wind 22 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Tuesday
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 85. Northwest wind around 22 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Tuesday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 75.
Wednesday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 87.
Wednesday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 75.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 89.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Been making final preps here.

My small cottage that I finished out and insulated about 2 years ago is my bug out shelter.

I have a generator hooked up to it, will have a/c, small fridge, lights and emergency supplies. Bed set up in there already. I'll head there when the electricity goes off. Should have laptop and a hotspot working there too. (depends on whether Verizon tower stays operational or not)

Even have a coffee maker in there. grin

[Linked Image]

I have the generator in my tractor barn behind the building. It is on blocks in case water gets high, and have 35 gallons of gas to run the generator.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 8 of 36 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 35 36

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 58 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,800
Posts18,516,226
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.