Hop To
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by aspade
The Supreme court ruled 5-4 last year that an involuntary blood test requires a warrant, statist workarounds of implied consent by driving at all be damned.

the second article also says in Utah implied consent was overturned a decade ago.

Correct, from what I can gather, Implied Consent does NOT apply to CONSCIOUS people. A warrant is needed in Utah to draw blood if CONSCIOUS.

A warrant ISN'T needed to draw blood if UNCONSCIOUS, is what I gather.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh yeah, that is a bad arrest. That is why the nurse was released with out any charges.

The detective stated that the Lieutenant told him via telephone to arrest the nurse. The Lieutenant probably trusted the detective and will get burned. The officers that showed up and assisted in the arrest will get burned. The detective will get "training" and assigned somewhere with less public contact.

From what was seen in the video the nurse was being more than reasonable. I do not know the detective lost his cool.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by aspade
The Supreme court ruled 5-4 last year that an involuntary blood test requires a warrant, statist workarounds of implied consent by driving at all be damned.

the second article also says in Utah implied consent was overturned a decade ago.

Correct, from what I can gather, Implied Consent does NOT apply to CONSCIOUS people. A warrant is needed in Utah to draw blood if CONSCIOUS.

That's even worse.

What if consent is a right taken away from anyone that's unconscious?

Daughter drinking at a party?

Slippery slope.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The dumb cop made a big mistake by not getting a warrant. That drawn blood evidence would be thrown out of court. The smart nurse was trying to educate the dumb cop about the law, which the dumb cop was sworn to uphold, but the dumb cop was dull of hearing. The smart nurse had every right to follow the hospital policy and protect her patient. Like we used to say in the Marines . . . "There's always that 10%!"

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by steve4102
Looking online, Utah doesn't require a warrant to draw blood. You give implied consent when you get your driver's license.

Not any more Supreme Court say no.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...tml?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.03164468bb87

. In Thursday’s news conference, Wubbels’s attorney Karra Porter said that Payne believed he was authorized to collect the blood under “implied consent,” according to the Tribune. But Porter said “implied consent” law changed in Utah a decade ago. And in 2016, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that warrantless blood tests were illegal. Porter called Wubbels’s arrest unlawful.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...or-doing-her-job/?utm_term=.9b45391ff09a

Show me in the Supreme Court's decision where is mentions UNCONSCIOUS individuals. I'll show you cases, since the decision, where blood drawn was drawn, and upheld, from unconscious people.

I ain't saying I agree.

See page 2 for Utah.

https://justice.utah.gov/Documents/Sentencing/ProsecutionManual/chapter10.pdf

Also, another example:

Unconscious Blood Draw

Oliver Benton Hyde was found unconscious in his vehicle after being involved in a single-vehicle collision. Police suspected Hyde of DUI, and after being transported to a hospital, a sample of his blood was taken to establish his blood-alcohol concentration. Hyde sought to suppress the blood test, because it was a warrantless search in violation of the Fourth Amendment.

In Birchfield v. North Dakota, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that though breath tests were constitutionally permissible without a warrant, blood tests were more intrusive, and thus typically required a warrant. It also ruled that a driver couldn’t be criminally penalized for refusing a warrantless blood test.

But Birchfield “endorsed the use of implied consent laws like Colorado’s” that only impose civil, as opposed to criminal, penalties on those who refuse to comply, the Colorado Supreme Court said.

“By driving in Colorado, Hyde consented to the terms of the Expressed Consent Statute, including its requirement that he submit to blood-alcohol testing under the circumstances present here,” the court said. “Hyde’s statutory consent satisfied the consent exception to the Fourth Amendment warrant requirement,” it said.

https://www.bna.com/colorado-doesnt-require-n57982086944/

Utah has a similar Implied Consent.

Learn to read and comprehend, it will help you in life.

The first link you provided clearly states that the officer must has "reasonable cause" of a crime to draw blood.

In this situation the officer had no such cause, as the patient was the victim to the accused.

According to the article he admitted that he had no pc or rs, so implied concentrate does not apply.

Last edited by steve4102; 09/01/17.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All I'm telling you is that don't assume that 'they' can't draw blood from you without consent, having been arrested or without a warrant.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Looking online, Utah doesn't require a warrant to draw blood. You give implied consent when you get your driver's license.

. In Thursday’s news conference, Wubbels’s attorney Karra Porter said that Payne believed he was authorized to collect the blood under “implied consent,” according to the Tribune. But Porter said “implied consent” law changed in Utah a decade ago. And in 2016, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that warrantless blood tests were illegal. Porter called Wubbels’s arrest unlawful.

Show me in the Supreme Court's decision where is mentions UNCONSCIOUS individuals. I'll show you cases, since the decision, where blood drawn was drawn, and upheld, from unconscious people.

I ain't saying I agree.

See page 2 for Utah.

Also, another example:

Unconscious Blood Draw

Oliver Benton Hyde was found unconscious in his vehicle after being involved in a single-vehicle collision. Police suspected Hyde of DUI, and after being transported to a hospital, a sample of his blood was taken to establish his blood-alcohol concentration. Hyde sought to suppress the blood test, because it was a warrantless search in violation of the Fourth Amendment.

In Birchfield v. North Dakota, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that though breath tests were constitutionally permissible without a warrant, blood tests were more intrusive, and thus typically required a warrant. It also ruled that a driver couldn’t be criminally penalized for refusing a warrantless blood test.

But Birchfield “endorsed the use of implied consent laws like Colorado’s” that only impose civil, as opposed to criminal, penalties on those who refuse to comply, the Colorado Supreme Court said.

“By driving in Colorado, Hyde consented to the terms of the Expressed Consent Statute, including its requirement that he submit to blood-alcohol testing under the circumstances present here,” the court said. “Hyde’s statutory consent satisfied the consent exception to the Fourth Amendment warrant requirement,” it said.

The first link you provided clearly states that the officer must has "reasonable cause" of a crime to draw blood.

In this situation the officer had no such cause, as the patient was the victim to the accused.

According to the article he admitted that he had no pc or rs, so implied concentrate does not apply.

Since I wasn't there and since the press obviously always tells the truth and always has the facts correct, that must be case.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I don't think that question has been addressed by the courts yet. While the law doesn't specifically deny it, it also doesn't specifically authorize it.

For whatever reason, that cop ignored one of the basic rules of police work, i.e., time is on the cop's side. He also didn't take time to think this through. Once the guy is in custody, he no longer has (or should have!) the opportunity to consume any more intoxicant(s). Given that, the officer could (I say should) have posted another officer to stay with the suspect, and the arresting officer should have gone and applied for a search warrant for the blood.

I have never seen an unconscious person brought into an E.R. that did not have blood drawn by the E.R. staff for medical reasons, i.e., find out what is in the blood stream BEFORE they attempt to treat them. Once that blood is drawn, the time it was drawn is part of the record keeping.
The suspect's blood alcohol level is "frozen in time" at that point and there are legally and medically accepted formulas for calculating the blood level at the time of arrest. There is no exigent circumstance that require a warrantless seizure.

As to the arrest of the nurse, IMHO, that was uncalled for. As the article noted, charges were dropped. I would expect a Title 1983 action to follow (Violation of Civil Rights) and the City will have to pay. Hopefully, the officer will too. The hospital should join in as co-plaintiff as they, too, suffered damages by the nurse's arrest. They lost a vital member of the E.R staff and would have to call in someone else to replace her. In the meantime, the E.R. is operating short-staffed.

As to the other officers not stepping in, remember that a fish rots from the head down. If a department has a culture that doesn't allow other officers to step in, it is the citizen's right and responsibility to hold the administrators accountable.
As noted by another poster, the PD belongs to the citizens and THEY are the ones who get to set policy based on the community's needs. It takes work by the citizenry to get this accomplished, but the results are much better for the community than letting the courts set policy, or God forbid, the Attorney General step in with a Consent Decree. Those only serve the attorneys and the bad guys.

And one long lasting condition of this incident will be the distrust of and subtle hostility towards any other officer who comes into the E.R. on business. It's human nature. There a few folks that most cops treat like royalty (or should), those are Dispatchers, Medics, and E.R. personnel. All of them can have a very significant effect on a cop's life. This guy scheit in his own and every other cop in that department's cup.

Just my $0.02

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Cop: I want some blood.

Suspect: Nope.

Sapwhack!

Suspect: Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Cop: Cool

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

I don't think that question has been addressed by the courts yet. While the law doesn't specifically deny it, it also doesn't specifically authorize it.

For whatever reason, that cop ignored one of the basic rules of police work, i.e., time is on the cop's side. He also didn't take time to think this through. Once the guy is in custody, he no longer has (or should have!) the opportunity to consume any more intoxicant(s). Given that, the officer could (I say should) have posted another officer to stay with the suspect, and the arresting officer should have gone and applied for a search warrant for the blood.

I have never seen an unconscious person brought into an E.R. that did not have blood drawn by the E.R. staff for medical reasons, i.e., find out what is in the blood stream BEFORE they attempt to treat them. Once that blood is drawn, the time it was drawn is part of the record keeping.
The suspect's blood alcohol level is "frozen in time" at that point and there are legally and medically accepted formulas for calculating the blood level at the time of arrest. There is no exigent circumstance that require a warrantless seizure.

As to the arrest of the nurse, IMHO, that was uncalled for. As the article noted, charges were dropped. I would expect a Title 1983 action to follow (Violation of Civil Rights) and the City will have to pay. Hopefully, the officer will too. The hospital should join in as co-plaintiff as they, too, suffered damages by the nurse's arrest. They lost a vital member of the E.R staff and would have to call in someone else to replace her. In the meantime, the E.R. is operating short-staffed.

As to the other officers not stepping in, remember that a fish rots from the head down. If a department has a culture that doesn't allow other officers to step in, it is the citizen's right and responsibility to hold the administrators accountable.
As noted by another poster, the PD belongs to the citizens and THEY are the ones who get to set policy based on the community's needs. It takes work by the citizenry to get this accomplished, but the results are much better for the community than letting the courts set policy, or God forbid, the Attorney General step in with a Consent Decree. Those only serve the attorneys and the bad guys.

And one long lasting condition of this incident will be the distrust of and subtle hostility towards any other officer who comes into the E.R. on business. It's human nature. There a few folks that most cops treat like royalty (or should), those are Dispatchers, Medics, and E.R. personnel. All of them can have a very significant effect on a cop's life. This guy scheit in his own and every other cop in that department's cup.

Just my $0.02

Ed

Agreed completely.

Was the cop within the letter of the law? Maybe and quite possibly YES. Was it the best way to go about it? ABSOLUTELY not.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Suspect: Nope.

Sapwhack!

Suspect: Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Cop: Cool

LMFAO!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

In michigan the hospital draw isn't a "legal" etoh, can't be used as evidence. A second draw (with warrant if patient refuses) is done and the chain of custody is maintained.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I ain't saying I agree.

See page 2 for Utah.

Also, another example:

Unconscious Blood Draw

Since I wasn't there and since the press obviously always tells the truth and always has the facts correct, that must be case.

Correct the media rarely if ever gets it right.

With that in mind , we can safely say that it is entirely possible that this entire story is "fake news" and never happened .

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bad arrest. The Nurse explained to the Detective all the reasons why she could not let him have the blood and what he needed to do to legally get it. Once the blood is out of the body the BAC is not going to change sitting in a tube. There was an agreement between the PD and the Hospital concerning these how these matters were to be handles and she showed it to the Detective. He copped the attitude of "How Dare this Nurse Question Me". She was legally doing her job and he wasn't. When the higher ranking officer showed up it was obvious he had no idea as to what actually transpired. The Nurse didn't say No, No, No. She made it clear as to the why. The man whose blood they were trying to draw was the Victim. An innocent Victim. The officers had no more right to his blood as they had to his fingerprints.

The Nurse is showing a lot of constraint in the matter. Had it happened to me I would have been suing. You need to know the law if you are going to enforce it. It is obvious to me that none of the officers involved in her actual arrest did. It is Officers like these that give the good guys a bad reputation. My first thought is that I would not want to be him if I got shot and had to go to that ER. But, in actuality it would not matter. In life and death situations you will put aside your differences. Been there and done that.

Jim

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Didn't say it was fake news, and certainly didn't say it was entirely fake news. Reading comprehension surely is not one of your strengths

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

In michigan the hospital draw isn't a "legal" etoh, can't be used as evidence. A second draw (with warrant if patient refuses) is done and the chain of posession is maintained.

Understood. Too bad, but in that case, the same backwards analysis can be done on the legal draw. Sounds like the Defense Bar was successful in their efforts to further obstruct the evidence gathering.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

In michigan the hospital draw isn't a "legal" etoh, can't be used as evidence. A second draw (with warrant if patient refuses) is done and the chain of posession is maintained.

I don't think it was always that way in MI? I recall more than a few hospital lab results being used in the past in certain circumstances, but that was decades ago.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Dude is an azzhole anyway you slice it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is obvious is this:

The cop isn't used to being told "NO", and he doesn't have the self control to handle that frustration. He's a bully by nature and relishes his power over the public. This particular officer has no business dealing with the public in a position of authority.

I'll bet dollars to dogturds he really wanted to beat the schidt out of the defiant nurse.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd like to beat the sheit out of a few people. Does that make me a bad person? grin

LOL
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

331 members (160user, 21, 264mag, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 257 mag, 33 invisible), 16,993 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,881
Posts18,538,369
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.