L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by las
Not unless I wanted to eat it.

Above postings - pretty much all of it. Bear was curious and hesitant. About the time that nose hit the tent a good left jab (right holding the difference.... or reverse if one is wrong-handed smile ) would have solved the "problem" and possibly taught the bear not to mess with humans.

Actually I'd not have waited that long to discourage it - as I said- it was hesitant, ripe for any type aggressive countermeasure.

I am never putting anything cooled by my own bloodstream near a bear's mouth... a good loud holler would have sent that bear tearing ass down the mountain. Letting it build confidence like that was stupid.

Agreed Art. It should have been routed at first sight. And whacking it with a shoe or something if available is certainly a better option than fisticufffs.

Jag - dunno the history of the bear - whether it was acclimated to people or camps, etc. But it seemed pretty tentative, so maybe it was not. If not , strong discouragement right here would certainly diminish the possibility of future problems of any kind. And reverse.

If already negatively u people acclimated or a camp-raider a bullet is the only solution.
There is good aclimatization (either fear or respect works), and bad, with neither.

Bears and people can share habitats in surprisingly close proximity with few problems if there is proper respect on both sides. The majority of dumfukitis generally lies with the people. As in this video.

In the 30 years I’ve lived in Sterling there are commonly 4- 10 brown bears that we know about in the immediate area around the house in any season. They Frequently skirt my yard boundaries or pass through ( drives the dog crazy!) Any problems almost always stem originally from the human side. Not cleaning that stupid gas grill my wife insisted upon ( I prefer the charcoal which burns up any grease) resulted in bears on the deck just outside the patio door one night. A leak from a garbage bag in the truck bed a day before once resulted in pie plate sized tracks in the frosted bed in the morning. About the only incident not related back to me was the time a couple cubs decided they wanted to meet the Lab. Respective distances as we worked around from the back yard to the front (Doors!!). Me - dog - cubs - sow was about 20. 15, 20 feet. The sow was very, very careful not to make eye contact with me as she cussed the kids to get the hell back in the woods where they belonged. We both knew if she did she would have to do something..... that garden trowel in my hand no doubt intimidated her....... smile.

We have a saying up here: “A fed bear is a dead bear” , as they are highly intelligent eating machines, with all that implies. I’d bet that yo-yo in the video had food in the tent, present or past. Bear certainly seemed interested in that zipper - probably contaminated with food smell from hands or clothing.

Last edited by las; 12/01/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ida azz shot that bear and winched him a good country mile.

Learns em up right quick

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Greasy-haired moron. Just educated that bear in the worst possible way. Dolt. Twit. Moron. Long live Tim Treadwell, baybee!

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh chit just read page two. I bow to your promptness EE

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Windfall
WI. is full of bears and like DMc, we would go down to the dump to watch them at night back when they had good dumps instead of landfills. That one in the video is a typical camp raiding bear. We had one tear the top off our cooler and eat all the food for the weekend and drink all the soda. Never touched the beer though. That bear should be relocated, not shot. I had a big one follow me to my bow stand like a beagle on a rabbit and it gave me the feeling that I wasn't on the top of the food chain when it stood at the base of my tree and looked up at me. Later I remembered that I'd worn the same camo pants when I dressed out two bears that my buddies had shot the week before. I don't have much use for bears myself. Kind of like overgrown raccoons.

Relocating bears does not work for very long. The length of time it works is determined by the distance they have been moved.

F&G here has relocated black bear many times. Practically everyone returns to the area in which they were captured.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks for that las. I figure it was a campground as the ground looked pretty bare of branches, twigs or leaves and i also figured the bozo had food in the tent. Some video showed part of what looked to be an open top heavy canvas or plastic tote in the lower right corner though out of focus.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Windfall
WI. is full of bears and like DMc, we would go down to the dump to watch them at night back when they had good dumps instead of landfills. That one in the video is a typical camp raiding bear. We had one tear the top off our cooler and eat all the food for the weekend and drink all the soda. Never touched the beer though. That bear should be relocated, not shot. I had a big one follow me to my bow stand like a beagle on a rabbit and it gave me the feeling that I wasn't on the top of the food chain when it stood at the base of my tree and looked up at me. Later I remembered that I'd worn the same camo pants when I dressed out two bears that my buddies had shot the week before. I don't have much use for bears myself. Kind of like overgrown raccoons.

Relocating bears does not work for very long. The length of time it works is determined by the distance they have been moved.

F&G here has relocated black bear many times. Practically everyone returns to the area in which they were captured.
Relocating a bear depends entirely on where said bear is removed to. If it's removed to your freezer, it works 100%.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
A bullet into the dirt. Hope the thing took the hint. That mosquito netting ain't nowhere close to heavy enough. That will be a dead bear, right away if it gets into a tent, and at least when it comes back from reloacating.
As for shooting it, here, you don't get the meat, hide; just a lot of paperwork, and you better be right

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, if for no other reason but to save the folks who decided to camp there after I left, bear had no fear of humans, that's a bomb waiting to go off.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Plus, that guys a liberal dipchit dopehead most likely, with all his deep space grizzly adams thought process bullchit, he'll have to learn the hard way.

Trump Won!
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by kennyd
A bullet into the dirt. Hope the thing took the hint. That mosquito netting ain't nowhere close to heavy enough. That will be a dead bear, right away if it gets into a tent, and at least when it comes back from reloacating.
As for shooting it, here, you don't get the meat, hide; just a lot of paperwork, and you better be right

You are right. That might make the case for a buttshot bear. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
Yes, if for no other reason but to save the folks who decided to camp there after I left, bear had no fear of humans, that's a bomb waiting to go off.

This^^^. Odds are others like him have been feeding that bear before and if that sucker had any to spare he would have fed it also.

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
20 yards was close enough for me back in the 90's elk hunting out in Colo Jag, hit him in his left eye with my bow as he kept advancing forward, I couldn't run him off, I have no experience around bears, and that was by-god close enough.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
20 yards was close enough for me back in the 90's elk hunting out in Colo Jag, hit him in his left eye with my bow as he kept advancing forward, I couldn't run him off, I have no experience around bears, and that was by-god close enough.
lmao Gunner=1 Bear=0

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
lmao Gunner=1 Bear=0

Cinnamon colored black bear in the tall yellow grass spooked the hell outta me with a stick and string in my hand EE, waiving, hollering, kicking loose, and throwing some rocks on the outcrop point i was sitting/hunting on didn't work either.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Should've just silently shot the sumbeach so as not to spoil your hunt. [bleep] nuisance bear.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I did, but, after I shot, I couldn't see him, he was already between me and the truck, it was about a mile down the ridge, at 20 yards he was aboout to get between me and being able to scramble up the the ridgetop for the trip back to the truck.

My hunt was over anyway, after the shot from one knee I jumped up so hard I ripped the ass outta my hunting britches, too warm for longjohns too. blush

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I did, but, after I shot, I couldn't see him, he was already between me and the truck, it was about a mile down the ridge, at 20 yards he was aboout to get between me and beinbg able to scrable up the the ridgetop for the trip back to the truck.

My hunt was over anyway, after the shot from one knee I jumped up so hard I ripped the ass outta my hunting britches, too warm for longjohns too. blush
Damn! I prolly would'a had to have changed my shorts anyway, rip or no.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet, spooky deal all around, another reason I carry a sidearm when bowhunting anymore.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

I had a similar and fatal, for the bear, encounter in that country with with a bow while hunting elk about 7 years ago. Now i carry when in that country and shine ahead for eyes when walking trails or logging roads out after dark. If it can happen with a bear it can happen with a cat. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (160user, 30incher, 35, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 426crown, 16 invisible), 16,729 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,222
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.