Hop To
Page 31 of 32 1 2 29 30 31 32
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice moose AlaskaCub!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dang it, now I want a 30-06. I have resisted one for 40 years.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 458Win
Most modern, up to date, rifleman consider the 30-06 with a 4x scope a primitive weapon. Although most have never given it a fair trial.

And I'll take performance in a rifle over sexy any day.

Funny that you mention the 30-06/4x combination.

I was out hunting blacktails a few weeks ago and fell pretty hard on my rifle. There was a good range not far away and I'm a member, so I took a break to check my zero.

When I got there, I found one other user. He had two nice Weatherbys with fluted barrels, synthetic stocks, and big glass, plus a Remington 700 set up the same way. We talked for a minute and I told him that I just needed to check my POI quickly. This range has steel plates all the way out to 550 yards, so it wouldn’t take long.

I was covered with mud from the fall and packing an battered old Husqvarna 1640 with a 4x Leupold. This rifle is uglier than homemade soap, but has been bedded by one of the finest riflemakers on the West Coast, and has a trigger like a match rifle. Fancy Rifle Guy stood behind me with binos while I fired the first shot at 100 yards.

BangTink.

He calls out that I had hit the plate as if I hadn’t been able to hear it. I ignore him and shift the crosshairs to a 200 yard plate.

Bang--tink.

Still looking at the 100-yard plate, he says, “I heard that, but I didn’t see it hit.”

“No problem—I was shooting the 200-yard plate. Now I’m going to shoot the six-inch plate a 300 yards, the one that’s partially covered up with grass.”

Bang------tink.

With that, I got up and left. I think he was still standing there holding his binos and blinking when I drove away. I didn't have the heart to tell him I was using factory ammo.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
The 30-06 will be obsolete when lasers are the norm and then you'll still be able to find ammo somewhere.

For years, I've believed that you could get decent 30-06 ammo almost anywhere that people hunt, which makes the 30-06 a morally superior choice. Then I ran into a situation that made me question that belief.

On the way to a pig hunt in northern California, I stopped at the In-and-Out Market in Palo Cedro, CA, to buy a hunting license. I always check ammo in little roadside stores. They had plenty of service pistol ammo, rimfire, 7.62x36, 5.56 NATO, and assorted 12-gauge but only ONE, count ‘em ONE box of 30-06. To add insult to injury, this box was American Eagle 147-grain FMJ. THERE WAS NOT ONE SOFTPOINT 30-06 cartridge in the place, and everything else was easily the weirdest agglomeration of ammo that I’ve ever seen in one place, to wit:

1 box of 225 Winchester (never seen this in the wild)
1 box of S&B 5.6x52R (Euro name for the 22 Savage Hi-Power, had to Google it)
6 boxes of fresh Federal 25-06
6-8 boxes of Federal 7x57 Mauser 175 RN
10 boxes of fresh Federal 7mm Winchester Short Magnum
6-8 boxes of fresh Federal 7mm Remington Magnum
6-8 boxes of fresh Federal & Fiocchi 308 Winchester
3 boxes of fresh PPU 303 British
1 box of Hornady 32 Special
2 boxes of Federal 338 Winchester Magnum 250-grain Woodleigh
1 box of 358 Winchester 200-grain PPT
2 boxes of 375 RUM
3 boxes of Hornady 450 Marlin

My guide later told me that this place used to have an FFL but gave it up after state laws became too onerous, which explains a lot. As noted, some of the ammo was fresh so that's probably what people use most of the time. The rest must have been NOS. In this area, that makes a certain amount of sense given that you’re probably either shooting pigs inside of 150 yards or blacktail-mule-deer hybrids at fairly long range, but it’s still jarring to see the 30-06 so under-represented. Seems almost unpatriotic...

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I can remember when I moved to Alaska in the mid 90’s, I knew nothing about hunting the big critters of Alaska. My first quest was the elusive moose. I started talking to some guys that I had met and was picking their brains about how to go about killing a bull. Most told me my chances were slim of being successful, I was like that’s cool I’ll accept the challenge. Then they started asking me what I was hunting with and I said a 30-06, I was then schooled with the idea that I didn’t have enough gun. I was told I needed a 300 WM minimum and that a 338WM or 375 H&H would be optimum. I didn’t have much money back then and the 30-06 was going to have to do. Fast forward to my first hunt and after 5 days of seeing no bulls I glass across this valley and I see two big white circles, I’m thinking what the heck are those and then I see the circles move, I’m like holy crap that’s a bull and a really big one.hes like a half mile away. So I proceed to run down this valley and up the other side. As I’m creeping through the spruce and it starts thinning I knew he was bedded just above Tree line. All of a sudden I see movement, the Bull appears just past the last small spruce tree. He’s no more than 40 yards from me chewing his cud and has no clue I’m in the planet. His rack was massive! I steady for the shot and the comments about not having enough gun start racing through my head, I’m like oh well we’ll see. Needless to say the bull was kilt without incident. I’ve killed a bunch of stuff with an 06 from bears to moose, and IMO it has no flaws!

Bull

Damn nice bull for sure. But good thing is wasn't wearing kevlar like they do now.

Next think you know someone will post pictures of killing a moose or elk with a .30-30. But we all know that can't be done... wink

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by okie john
The 30-06 will be obsolete when lasers are the norm and then you'll still be able to find ammo somewhere.

For years, I've believed that you could get decent 30-06 ammo almost anywhere that people hunt, which makes the 30-06 a morally superior choice. Then I ran into a situation that made me question that belief.

On the way to a pig hunt in northern California, I stopped at the In-and-Out Market in Palo Cedro, CA, to buy a hunting license. I always check ammo in little roadside stores. They had plenty of service pistol ammo, rimfire, 7.62x36, 5.56 NATO, and assorted 12-gauge but only ONE, count ‘em ONE box of 30-06. To add insult to injury, this box was American Eagle 147-grain FMJ. THERE WAS NOT ONE SOFTPOINT 30-06 cartridge in the place, and everything else was easily the weirdest agglomeration of ammo that I’ve ever seen in one place, to wit:

2 boxes of 375 RUM

My guide later told me that this place used to have an FFL but gave it up after state laws became too onerous, which explains a lot. As noted, some of the ammo was fresh so that's probably what people use most of the time. The rest must have been NOS. In this area, that makes a certain amount of sense given that you’re probably either shooting pigs inside of 150 yards or blacktail-mule-deer hybrids at fairly long range, but it’s still jarring to see the 30-06 so under-represented. Seems almost unpatriotic...

Okie John

Makes sense. KA is unpatriotic.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

2 boxes of 375 RUM

Okie John

I think it emboldens your argument- obviously they had a run on the '06 ammo! smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To All,

ODDLY enough, around South TX, I'm finding my .300SAV ammo in 180 grain "all over the place" but "the common calibers" not so much.
(I have a habit of adding a couple of boxes to whatever else I'm buying, as I'm always afraid that .300SAV won't be available when I want some more.)
My Model 760 is the first gun that I reach for for hunting WT/pigs in the brush country.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well there ya go...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just saw a nice BDL for cheap a couple of days ago. Looked just like the one I had way back when. But we don't got no moose around here...

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Well there ya go...

Yeah, I know.

Okie John

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
grin

You know I couldn't help myself...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang,once again my obsolete 30-06 made another DRT kill on a Texas whitetail.That dang old obsolete 30-06 just kills as good as good as my 7mag,300WSM or my 300 Win Mag does at the reasonable ranges that I usually shoot deer.My rancher friend as been so impressed with my handload kills,he wanted to try some in his 30-06.I gave him the 25 rounds I had with me to try in his rifle.They were loaded with 58.0grs of Accurate 4350 and 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.The thing that gets me about the 30-06 is,take a rifle chambered in a 30-06 to a gun show in South Texas and you cannot give it away.They tell me nobody will buy them. Don't know why?Bad reputation of being a hard kicker from the old days of the steel butt plate?Too many sissy's in today's shooting world?What ever reason it my be,I know one thing,as my days of hunting become more limited each year due to me becoming more obsolete myself,it's a good possibility that the last deer I shoot in my lifetime will fall with the obsolete 30-06.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Have had good luck with obsolete rifle since about 1974, have had many different versions, current one is a model 77 shotgun style safety in a bell and Carlson stock with a weaver k4 scope, have had this one about 27 years or so, put it together after reading Finn Aagard's article about a professional's rifle.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
AlaskaCub...I'm not moose hunter and pretty sure I will never get to see one live, but I know enough from watching TV that the moose in your picture is a very nice one. Way to make the naysayers back up a little bit!

Thanks. Yeah it was a 61” bull, pretty good one. It was priceless to see those guys expressions when I brought the rack by to show them , remember they told me I was wasting my money on a non-res tag and hunting with an insufficient rifle to boot.
O
I have owned I don’t know how many 300WM’s, 338 WM’s and 300 WSM’s, and killed an assortment of critters with all of them, and IME there isn’t a lick of difference in the killing power of any of them when compared to the 06. Put good bullets where they are supposed to go and game over. I’ve still got one M70 300WM wood and blued that I haven’t hunted with in 10 plus years, but I have come full circle to a 30-06 being my big gun. Another couple DRT with the 06 and CnC bullets.

Bear with 06

Woof 30-06

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
AlaskaCub,

Very nice moose and very nice black bear!

Too bad the critters didn't get the memo about your '06 and CnC bullets. grin

BTW, My Mod 700 Mountain Rifle is an '06 and it loves 130gr TTSX @ 3,150fps and 168gr TTSX @ 2800fps. Critters die when I shoot them with my '06.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
It just "obsoleted" five Kansas deer!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
grin

You know I couldn't help myself...

Yep. Keeps you out of trouble.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 12/14/17.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
AlaskaCub...I envy those of you who get to experience hunting the different animals and enjoy the photos of everyone on this forum. Until the last month, I only owned the 1 '06 which was my daddy's old 760 Remington. In the last month I have added a Ruger 77 Round Top and a Savage 110 in that chambering. However, I bought the Savage because it was too good of a deal to pass up and hope to eventually figure out what I want it to be when it grows up. Still thinking on that one.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I obsoleted a couple pigs this am

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 31 of 32 1 2 29 30 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

282 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 27 invisible), 1,838 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,002
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.