Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Opening day only comes once a year and rain, snow or shine, I'm going to be out there. Lots of you guys post some really nice firearm pictures on here and I'm wondering if you ever think that those might be just too nice to take out in the swamp or in bad weather? I use to duck hunt with a guy who kept his Browning in the gun case until we saw a duck! We use to tease him with "My Browning, my Browning" if he got some dirt on it. Not that a lot of us buy a shotgun or rifle with the thought of selling it, but condition counts at resale time. What are your thoughts about hunting with a really nice one?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it's 'too' nice then it's not a hunting gun. I have no issue with pretty guns, or sentimental guns, that don't get hunted. I figure a guy can own whatever guns he wants and use them for his purpose. That purpose may simply be the pleasure of owning and/or just looking at it. Ain't my place to tell someone what their gun needs to be used for.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Never thought of buying anything that I wouldn't use. So I'd say no.

Walnut and steel is some pretty tough stuff.

Last edited by DollarShort; 12/22/17.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Never.
Got a brand new benelli super black eagle 3 earlier this year and can’t wait to take it waterfowl hunting.
I’m sure it’s going to get banged around and slopped up but I really don’t care.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have synthetic stocks for the really tough stuff but don't think twice about hunting with my wood stocked guns. I enjoy refinishing a wood stock. Haven't done one yet that didn't turn out better than any factory finish. Resale? Not in my vocabulary.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I soaked my Citori duck hunting once......once. Have a 11-87 SP for that now. I hold shotguns in much higher regard that rifles, for whatever reason.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love blued steel and walnut. Rarely have I seen an attractive gun built out of anything else, I even get offended when someone looks at a plastic gun and comments on how nice it is.
However, it is nice to use guns that I don't give a crap about. I am still more careful than many, I don't like my stuff beat up. But a scratch on a synthetic/stainless gun, no big deal.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Windfall
Lots of you guys post some really nice firearm pictures on here and I'm wondering if you ever think that those might be just too nice to take out in the swamp or in bad weather?

I sold all of my very nice Brownings for just that reason. Bought me some entry level replacements that I could feel good about dragging thru the elements.

What your thoughts about hunting with a really nice one?

I use it in the blind only or range, controlled environment.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think nice guns look cool when they get weathered from use.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I fall in the category of having hunting rifles and range/safe rifles. I have a M77 Varminter in 243 given to me by grandfather that was NIB when he gave it to me in 2010 (its a 1978). It is blued with walnut and is a tack driver. I shot a coyote with it that year just to say I did and it now travels to and from the range in a case and that is it. It gets shot but not drug around. I bought my Vanguard S2 in 25-06 to replace it as my long distance or windy day calling rifle. My Stevens 200 in 22-250 and Ruger ranch in 223 are pure hunting tools. No different than the caller, bipod or camo.......part of the equation to put pelts down. I certainly am not trying to beat them up but I do not care if they get scratched or dinged.

Last edited by bmoney; 12/22/17.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What are your thoughts about hunting with a really nice one?
I won't buy a rifle I won't hunt. Nice, plain, whatever. If I own it, it's getting hunted. To me a rifle is just a tool.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've hunted with every rifle I own regardless of the weather or conditions. That includes a couple double rifles, a few drillings and a couple combination guns along with some custom single shot rifles and custom muzzleloaders. None are too nice to hunt with, I don't own any safe queens.

Last edited by sharps4590; 12/22/17.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't take nice firearms out of the house if the weather is bad, as I have duplicates of nearly everything that I own, including dozens of stainless/synthetic firearms that are made to use in inclement weather.

Probably the only CM rifles that I would purposely take out in bad weather conditions would be my elk hunting pair in 270, a Cerakoted CLR and a parkerized 760. I do have a well worn 870 dedicated waterfowl 12 gauge, but I only hunt waterfowl about once every other year.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't abuse my firearms, but I do use them. I really don't need any gun that I can't or won't use. I look at it like this, someday, some guy is gonna use that gun, and it may as well be me. YMMV.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I prefer to hunt with nice rifles. If you were a mechanic would you use cheap chinamart tools or or a quality, well made brand? If I had an expensive Snap-on box full of Snap-on tools I sure as hell wouldn’t be using Walmart store brand crap to fix my car.

Last edited by ismith; 12/22/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A nice wood stock with dings and scratches is still prettier than virgin plastic in my eye. Never understood the "too pretty to hunt with". In the end, it is a tool and just "stuff", but why not enjoy nice stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Definitely.

I tend to shy away from anything that I think looks too nice to get banged up a little. I'm not particularly abusive of rifles and shotguns, but I don't want to go knocking a $500 off the value of a piece by one day's hunting.

Case in point: my Dad's Model 12. He won a bunch of trap trophies at Vandalia back in the 50's with his shotgun, and then it sat in his closet until I decided to take it out for my first turkey hunt in the early 80's. I came back in the first day with a ding in the stock. It's been all these years and Dad's been dead for over 5 of them. It still bums me out when I see that ding. The next year I went out and bought a used Rem 1100, and then in 1996 I had gotten so attached to it, that I stopped hunting turkeys with it and bought a Mossberg 500 for dragging through the woods after gobblers. It's spray painted; nothing worse can happen to it.

I've got deer rifles that I won't take out in the rain. With some, the aim on them is just right that I'd hate to see the stock warp. Others have too nice a finish. I've got plenty of rifles. I can plan around a 3 day rain.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a "too nice to hunt" rifle one time. 6.5x55 Swede Mauser 98 . . . I figured I'd just sell it instead. (Where is the money now? Gave it to my wife.) I had "delayed intelligence" after the sale and asked myself why I didn't just buy a "hunting stock" for it and hunt that sucker? This was also one of only two rifles in my collection that come to my shoulder with a perfect sight alignment. Funny that both were/is a 6.55x55 Swede. Moral of the story . . . No there ain't no such thing as a "too nice to hunt" rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is the one I kept . . .

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nope. If they can't leave the safe and be used, they had no value to me.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a mix of guns with high end walnut and plastic stocks. If it’s raining, the nice guns stay home. And I have sold one or three that were too pretty to get banged up.

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (7887mm08, 44mc, Amos63, 3dtestify, 35, 8MMX57JS, 8 invisible), 990 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,207
Posts18,524,265
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.