Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
crsshelton,

BEAUTIFUL DR.
(I have "a thing for" drillings & Cape-Guns, but don't yet own a DR.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
i remeber when I was 8 or 9 in 1968 or 1969 that the local Gibson's Discount stores here had old Mausers for sale for like maybe $15 to $20 bucks. They displayed them in the sporting goods isle in one of those old shiny galvanized trash cans. I remember Dad looking them all over to see which one was in the best shape.

BOY ! do I miss them days ! !, I was only 10 yo in '69, no money but I remember "Gibsons". It was one of my FAV places to go.

,******< EDIT*****> Sorry - Miscalculation --I was thinking 58-59. My mistake, I was 20 in 69... blush

It was 1974 when Wife & I moved to Fayetteville, Ark that I saw my FIRST Wal Mart. It was ONLY the 2nd W M store PERIOD.

Jerry

I STILL remember Gibson's - Hot Springs & Magnolia. Today our WMs are larger w/more selections but IN th 60s Gibson's was where it was AT!!

Last edited by jwall; 01/07/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
K W - that's K O O L !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To All,

WISHING that I knew somebody with a herd of Axis & Nilgai that they wanted "thinned out".
(I keep hearing about such places but don't know of any. - the "chef: that I mentioned GETS PAID to kill out the Axis that he converts into chili & stew.,)

My new motto: HAVE RIFLE & XB, WILL TRAVEL.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
jwall,

Do you remember GIANT DISCOUNT CENTERS.
(My college roomie at OBU was the owner's son.= Larry "took out a large tree" on HWY 37 to Hot Springs one night in 1975 & that was the end of him & his lady.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
i remeber when I was 8 or 9 in 1968 or 1969 that the local Gibson's Discount stores here had old Mausers for sale for like maybe $15 to $20 bucks. They displayed them in the sporting goods isle in one of those old shiny galvanized trash cans. I remember Dad looking them all over to see which one was in the best shape.

BOY ! do I miss them days ! !, I was only 10 yo in '69, no money but I remember "Gibsons". It was one of my FAV places to go.

It was 1974 when Wife & I moved to Fayetteville, Ark that I saw my FIRST Wal Mart. It was ONLY the 2nd W M store PERIOD.

Jerry

You were married at 15?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Don't know if it's the camera angle or what,but that thing looks BIG. Thick critter too. How can it any cooler?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by satx78247
jwall,

Do you remember GIANT DISCOUNT CENTERS.
(My college roomie at OBU was the owner's son.= Larry "took out a large tree" on HWY 37 to Hot Springs one night in 1975 & that was the end of him & his lady.)

yours, tex

No S A, can't say as I remember "GIANT....".

SO sorry to hear about your friend & lady. That 'probably' was Hwy 7. Then it was narrow & crooked ---many many accidents. The road has been improved since but it's NOT meant for hi speed.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JayJunem
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

You were married at 15?
grin grin; sorry miscalculation blush I edited that this AM.

I was 20 in '69. The memories of Gibsons are still strong from childhood.

Thnx for ADDING wink

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember Gibsons, but not Giant. Gibsons was a "walmart" before Walmart came on the scene. I hated to see them go at the time Walmart and Kmart was pushing them out. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Every box of Norma ammo at Gibson's here was $4.97! Regardless of cartridge! laugh

Otter6. They are huge!!! Well they can sure get huge. This one looks like a nice bull

Also have a range. 196 paces. You'll just havta go with that! laugh

Last edited by kaywoodie; 01/07/18.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by milespatton
I remember Gibsons, but not Giant. Gibsons was a "walmart" before Walmart came on the scene. I hated to see them go at the time Walmart and Kmart was pushing them out. miles

The first discount store I remember was Fed-Mart. Their initial gimmick was that they only sold to government employees, first only federal, then later to employees of all government agencies. By the time that I graduated from high school, they were selling to anyone that walked in the door. The summer that I graduated from high school, I rewarded myself by buying a brand new Model 70 in .30-06 for $102.70, as I recall. (Yes--it was a pre-64 new from the factory. smile )

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
jwall,

I remember HWY 7 very well, = In those long ago college days/ DAZE, I had a Sunbeam Tiger & one of our favorite college pastimes was doing "timed runs" from Caddo Valley to the Garland County bridge that crossed the lake.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
kaywoodie,

Fwiw, I bought my first Remington Model 760 at GIBSON'S in Mount Pleasant for 105.oo = "Those were the days."
(Btw, I was born in Pittsburg & raised in Daingerfield & Lone Star.)

Also, there was a sporting goods store in Longview, TX that had numerous racks of used rifles for CHEAP (& yes I mean cheap even for those long ago days), that was managed by a man who called everybody, "Coach".
(Wishing that I could remember the name of the store but it was across the street from the FEDWAY department store.)

I once bought a Model 8 Remington for 60.oo there in .300 Savage. - There were a FEW made right at the end of the run in .300SAV (right before the Model 81 came out) & I'd would be afraid to guess what the rifle would sell for in 2018. = I suspect it would sell in the "four figures area".
(Of course, I sold it within a few months/years, to buy something else.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SATX...I believe you are talking about Tony's H&T, owned by Margie & Tony Valentino, across the parking lot from the local Gibson's when I started selling to him in the mid/late '70's and later. He always greeted folks with a "Hi there, didja know your nose looks like a banana?" Or some such ice breaker...Everybody got a nick name in Tony's. Mine was Ron Jowarski, or the Polish Rifle (the pro footbal player) 'cause my 1st name is Ron and I sold him ammo and rifles for a Dallas Distributor.
Tonys' was up the street from the best BBQ joint in East Texas, who's name is escaping me right now. Good days back then for sure.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Verhoositz,

Jess Stockstill? Or Dave ?

One of them????

Founder

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob, I worked for Schoellkopf Sports, the name of the company after the buyout of the old Schoellkopf Hardware Co that was founded in 1854, by the same people in Chicago that had also bought out Ellett Bro's, in Chapin SC, and Bern's Wholesale in Denver. Lot's of guys on here will recognize the Berns name that was so closely aligned with Gart's, where my 1st mgr, Wayne Johnson, in Dallas came from.

I was good friends with Bobby Goldstein, who owned Dave's House of Guns.
More Later.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Dang, they are blue

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thats what nilgai means in one of them Indian (hindustani?) languages. "Blue cow or blue bull".

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by verhoositz
Bob, I worked for Schoepllkopf Sports, the name of the company after the buyout of the old Schoellkopf Hardware Co that was founded in 1854, by the same people in Chicago that had also bought out Ellett Bro's, in Chapin SC, and Bern's Wholesale in Denver. Lot's of guys on here will recognize the Berns name that was so closely aligned with Gart's, where my 1st mgr, Wayne Johnson, in Dallas came from.

I was good friends with Bobby Goldstein, who owned Dave's House of Guns.
More Later.
Ron

I remember Schoepllkopf!

Founder

WS

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (10Glocks, anothergun, BB3, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 634 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,514
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.