Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, this one is beautiful and 100% original. No need to show pics on this one. It's a clean example of a nice pre war rifle in about 95% condition. What are these bringing these days? Thanks

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am interested in this 17, My old trap shooting pal had a beautiful one from that era.. It had a nice peep sight on it.. Havent seen it for several years since he passed, but his daughter still has his collection..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last few I've seen have been in the $1100-1200 area....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Sheister

For an all original, 95% pre-war 300 Mag?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Probably not. We live in the same state and this is the first one I've handled. Maybe he was confused????

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Up here I suspect it would be pushing 2K if it was super nice.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Several years ago I walked out the door of a small gun show in IL with a .300 H & H under my arm, paid $400.00 for it. Dealer was glad to sell it as IL is shotgun country, fact be known the way the dealer acted he probably would have accepted whatever I'd have offered.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Probably not. We live in the same state and this is the first one I've handled. Maybe he was confused????

Missed the 95% part. The ones I've handled at shows weren't quite that nice- probably in the 75-80% range. I did see one at a show recently that was in probably 95% condition and the vendor was asking $2200 for it. It was still sitting on the table several shows later. If that was yours, I probably drooled over it a couple times, so you may need to reduce the condition a bit... smile

In fact, the only ones I've seen sell at shows have been the couple I've seen priced in the $1100-1200 range. Just my experience, but I do watch out for the Pre 64's in particular at all the shows.

Funny thing is, when I started watching Pre 64's about 25 years ago, you could pick up 300 H&H's at almost any show for around $400-450 unless it was really pristine, and then it was around $500-550. I've got an early one that I think I've got around $600 in it considering the trading I did with a buddy to get it. Metal was very good, but the furniture needs a restoration or refinish- haven't decided which yet..

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 01/21/18.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the input Bob. We've probably been to a lot of the same shows. Ive almost stopped going though, because of prices and all the garbage you have to wade through, just to find a good deal on something.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would say 1800-2200, perhaps more.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Get us some pics of that dang thing BSA, been drooling down my shirt since yesterday. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the input Bob. We've probably been to a lot of the same shows. Ive almost stopped going though, because of prices and all the garbage you have to wade through, just to find a good deal on something.

Agree with you there. About the best shows I go any more are the Albany shows and the small show at the Armory in Portland once a month. Maybe we should meet up and talk guns over a cup of coffee....

Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Get us some pics of that dang thing BSA, been drooling down my shirt since yesterday. smile

Yeah, I've been drooling too. Here's the story: I went to the lgs to sell my tikka superlite to a guy from a local forum and my good ol buddy at the gun shop pulls this rifle out and says,"I was hoping you would show up, i have this rifle you might be interested in"..... I said, is it a pre 64? He said, you know it is.. he said, it's a beautiful pre war too. "You won't find one any nicer than this". I said, Don, I came here to sell a rifle, not buy one!! When he handed it to me, my jaw dropped to the floor. That's when I sent you the text. I looked at the serial number (22xxx) and said, damn this is an early one too. My guess was 1939, but I was off by a year and it was actually made in 38. That's a second year pre 64. The guy I was selling my superlite to said, if you didn't know any better, you would think this rifle was only a couple years old. I looked down the bore and the chamber looks new and the lands are sharp. I'm imagining a sub moa shooter as I peer through that bore. Even the steel butt plate looked new. I say it's 95% condition, but I'm being pretty modest here. Its probably more like 98%..

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That sounds like a doozy BSA. I am with gunner been on the forum continuously to see that jewell!

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha... Sorry guys, I don't have any pics of said rifle. I wish I did. Damn near took it home with me last saturday though....

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ha ha... Sorry guys, I don't have any pics of said rifle. I wish I did. Damn near took it home with me last saturday though....

That's the problem! That sucker sounds like a GREAT one if the price is right...

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
How about the name and phone # of the lgs in the event that someone here is interested in this peach....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Why the heck haven't you bought this thing yet! Those prewar rifles are the best Model 70's ever built!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs

That's the problem! That sucker sounds like a GREAT one if the price is right...

Yup, and it may be gone when BSA shows back up with a pocket fulla cabbage. smile

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Men, I'm getting a bit of age on me and I'm kind of out of the loop on pricing.

About 22-23 years ago, I stopped into a large police supply store. They had a trade in late 50s M 70 .300 H&H that came out of the NW from a State Police inventory. It was rather nice and well cared for. I had seen the rifle previously but thought it over priced. It had been in layaway two or three times and the deals fell through or the officer opted for something else. I had a kid in college on a cash as we go plan. Her mom and I were living frugally, kid had a job, and I was jockeying nice guns to make this happen.

I bought the rifle for $500 OTD, and went down the street to a full service gun shop. I sold the M70 .300 H&H to the dealer for $950 and a new 3-9 Leupold.

The rifle in question has to be worth around two grand these days. I don't know how many were made, nor do I know how many were rechambered to Weatherby, but it was a good many.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1minute, 222Sako, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,329
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.