Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Wings was poor mans food? My great aunt cooked the feet too. Never tried them. Couldn't figure out what part of it to eat.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember when my Grandpa was the milkman. He would come in with a bucket before he went to work and came in with a bucket when he got done for the day.

I remember being on a churn thinking it was a helluva lot easier at home where we bought our butter. That's some pretty deep thinking for a five year old.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good story Kaywoodie. One thing much worse than a Jersey cow, the flippin' bulls.
Never a question of if a Jersey bull is mean.
He is mean, and he would like to kill you.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by shaman
We had one until the mid-70's. The last one we had was a really nice guy. We all got along well with him-- finally invited my dad and me to go fishing down at Dale Hollow. I still have our milkbox down the basement-- haven't figured out what to do with it. Back then, I was still growing, and putting down a gallon of 2% a day.

Dayom, they didnt know what 2% was when I was a kid, Sha.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by foogle
I remember having bread delivered to the country also. I do remember that at the table boys got second helpings before the girls did.

Girls got all the good parts and half the money too, and they still couldnt find anything that would keep them happy even though they could have had fun and good feelings every day.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I was a participant in a large training exercise in Texas in the mid '80s. Following the TrainX several of us ended up in the Nuevo Laredo boystown.

I awakened the next morning in the blazing sun w/ my head resting on a dog on someones back porch to the sound of the milkman's clanking bottles. I staggered around the house to see him placing an icy 1/2 gallon of O.J. in the neighbor's box across the street.

Displaying far more stealth than I had of the TrainX I flowed across the street, exchanged a $20.00 bill for the O.J. and skulked back to the dog. That milkman saved my life.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have local delivery here. Pricey, but damn it's good. Makes it easy to empty a box of Girlscout cookies too...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An older member of my family was a milk man that owned the local milk company. Lots of daughters were born around that time............ He had 3 daughters and lots of folks in the surrounding area had all daughters. Dunno haha

Last edited by k20350; 02/11/18.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Another thing I remember from the past is driving out to the local dairy and buying whole milk.

We'd take our own jugs.

Damn, but that was some great milk! Had to shake it up when you used it because the heavy cream would separate when sitting in the fridge... grin

Our USDA cured us all from that though. mad

That's what we did, since we had no milk delivery in the country. We skimmed the cream off and churned butter. My mom would buy 4 gallons every three or four day (three boys drank a lot).

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I remember the milk man from Pure Milk. We only bought ice cream off him though. We got our milk from cows and goats that we milked.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I remember:
The milk man
The bread man
The oil man
The fuller brush man
The Avon lady

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We bought our milk from a local dairy for 50 cents per gallon. Also I grew up when televisions had tubes that were always burning out. The tv repairman would come by with a big fold out box full of tubes. Remember how the vertical hold would go out and the picture would start to roll?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Those were the great old days.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My Grandfather was a milkman before I was born, but I sure remember his many stories.

He was a milkman in Chicago when they still used the horse drawn vans. He loved that job as it gave him the opportunity to do his two favorite things every day. Care for horses and shoot the chit with neighbors and friends.

He told me many times how, if he was spending too much time talking at a stop the horse would move on to the next stop and he'd have to run after it. Guess he had a stubborn horse as he said it would take several days to get the horse used to stopping at a new place.

All good things must end for "progress" I guess and when they dropped the horses and went to trucks he found a new line of work.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Grandparents had 3 cows and 50 chickens. Grandma would churn and make butter and buttermilk. Sure drank a lot of buttermilk when i stayed there summers. Every Saturday morning they loaded up the old jeep and delivered butter and eggs. Any left over eggs they sold to the local store.They couldn't sell milk because they were told they needed a new floor put in where they milked. Gramps said no way was he putting in a new floor so the pig got a lot of milk.
Grandma had 2 big gardens and grew about everything they needed. Only remember them buying sugar and flower. Any bull calves that were born were kept for a while and then in the freezer it went. She got new chickens every 2 years. Butchered how many of the old ones she wanted and sold the rest. Had pork, beef or chicken with potatoes and home grown veggies for every meal.
Yes i do remember the milk man delivering milk to the neighbor but that was 35-40 years ago.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Good story Kaywoodie. One thing much worse than a Jersey cow, the flippin' bulls.
Never a question of if a Jersey bull is mean.
He is mean, and he would like to kill you.

Had a little Jersey bull that was mean as hell!!! His momma was a wild as any cape buff! Wifey called me at work one day as two Old Black men wanted to buy the bull! Made her a price over phone and they took it! Them old fellas got him loaded and carted off in no time! LOL

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/12/18.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
son of bitch ran over my dog when i was a kid.

LMAO

Camp is where you make it.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by stxhunter
son of bitch ran over my dog when i was a kid.

LMAO

You know there's a good country song in that! Gotta be!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I still have our old galvanized milk box. For years, working at UPS, I thought about making it a lunch box. Those "Brown Trucks" can get up to 130* in the back during summer. The box is insulated and I thought it would be cool, and keep my lunch cool. I never tried it, was afraid some one would steal it or get bashed up. Now I keep clean shop rags in it. I do remember the milk truck running through the neighborhood. They still used big ice blocks to cool it. The milk man would chip off chunks and give them to us in the summer. Was a better treat than ice cream, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bobg
Grandparents had 3 cows and 50 chickens. Grandma would churn and make butter and buttermilk. Sure drank a lot of buttermilk when i stayed there summers.

In 1956 I was 5 years old and spent a month on my grandparent's farm in Bristol VA.

My grandmother milked her 7 cows and put the can out front of the house, where it was picked up by the milk man who, at the same time, dropped off bottles of milk we drank.

They had no running water, no electricity, no car, no tractor.

They pulled up water with a rope from their well.
They used kerosene lamps for light and cooked on a wood stove, and took a dump in the outhouse.
They walked to get places.
They had two plow horses.
They had a tabaco patch for money. I helped weed it.

Looking at the 1940 Census, my grandmother was married at 12 and gave birth at 14.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 264mag, 17CalFan, 29 invisible), 1,337 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,981
Posts18,519,963
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.