Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I used to have a model 190 win. .22 rifle. Being stupid, I sold it. That was years ago when the rem. nylon 66 was going strong. Right now I have my grandfather's .22. It's a Rem. model 511 scoremaster. I believe it was made in the early thirties. It's a bolt action. And I might add, it's the most accurate rifle I have. I've got a 2-7x20 tasco scope on it. Really I don't need another .22, but I WANT one. I'm curious, is a bolt action more accurate than a semi-auto? I've been looking real hard at a couple of savages. I don't need a rifle that costs over say, 150.00 dollars. I've looked at some marlins too. I would appreciate some ideas if you would.
tommy

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Ruger 10/22 or Marlin Model 60. VERY hard to beat either of those two.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Where are ya, anyway?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ranger - I picked up one of the Charles Daly bolt-actions made by Zastava last summer. I have been very pleased with the accuracy. This is the rifle now being imported by Remington, I believe as their Model 5, at a much higher price. If you can come across one of the Dalys somewhere, it might be available at a close-out price.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen several of these Model 5 Remingtons at Gander Mountain up in Huntsville, AL. While not a wondrous beauty cosmetically, they are solid. All steel action, trigger guard and magazine included, with a plain Remington laminated stock with Remmies laser cut checkering job. The finish was very good for a rifle in that price range. Most other rifles in a competitive price range will haved at least some pot metal painted parts and/or a plain birch stock with no checkering, and most have magazines made of flimsy stampings or plastic that sticks out a mile. I think Remington did well with these little rimfire. Too bad they couldn't sell their own 504, it is a shame that they discontinued that one.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My wife surprised me with a Remington Model Five for my 50th birthday a couple of weeks ago. Not all of the Remington versions have the nicer laminated stock evidently. But, it is still a shooter. A very solid sporter.

I put the old Weaver steel tube K-2.5 on it for starters. Looks good - don't you think? I have a couple of hundred rounds through it and my only complaint is the sharp feed lips on the little magazine (fixable).

[Linked Image]

It was cold and very windy last weekend when I shot this target but the rifle shows promise:
[Linked Image]

The first two 50 yard groups are to the left of the top bulls. After that, I retreated to 25 yards to lessen the effect of the brutal winds.

The big bull at the bottom was my last one of the day and I simply fired 10 rounds as fast as I could load and acqure a sight picture. .94" seems unimpressive until one considers the numb fingers, the wind, and the fact that seven of the 10 shots are in the black in a single .30" group (CCI Std Vel).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks very nice. I think that the stock actually looks better than the laminate. Remington will sell a bunch of these.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you like bolt guns, try an Anschutz.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Danny,

That is one very good looking rifle.
I really like the stock, and it's much better looking than a laminated one. Nice figure too.
You have some good groups too.
I think there's a Model 5 in my future.. grin

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that CDNN might still have the same rifles from the days where they were called "CZ-99" for $150+/- wholesale.

Jeff

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the nice words Phil and Don. I probably will put some big glass on the Model Five for accuracy testing in the Spring. But, it will be kinda hard to take that Weaver off. I killed my first two bucks using that glass on a Remington 742 .30-06 Carbine about 25 years ago. It was a great woods scope for white-tails. I just don't deer hunt anymore or I would put it back on a centerfire.

Danny

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or any CZ.

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The $150 limit makes it harder, if we are talking about a NIB rifle.

I have to agree with TM45. If you can afford it, it is really hard to beat the CZ-452. They are outstanding rifles, with real steel machined receivers and all steel parts (no plastic). Most have outstanding accuracy, and they have nice Circassian walnut stocks.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Well, yesterday I got a Marlin model 925 (wood stock) at BPS. I liked it and since I used to have a model 60 years ago, I got it. Just got through cleaning it and polishing the bore. I'll get a scope for it in a week or so. BTW, VAnimrod I live in Mt. Gilead, about 15 miles east of Albemarle. I believe this will be a shooter, I hope!
tommy

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Todd,

I just thoguht I would chime in. I have been serious into rimfires msot of the 29 years I have been serious into rifles.

Yes, no doubt about it, CZ m452s are great guns for the $$. I owne several of them as well as several current model Marlin and Savage rimfire bolt guns.

Actually, in terms of it's main components ,the Canadian made Savage is of the three in 22LR that is made of ALL STEEL. The CZ and the Marlin .22LR guns BOTH have plastic magazine housings under the action.The Magnum versions of all of thoses guns are all steel ,though (yes, even the Marlins and the Savages)...

Also, the Turkish or Central Europen walnut CZ uses is most darkly stained sapwood and can hardly be called "Circassian".
I call it what it is - very low grade Turkish. Much of the CZ wood is as white as this computer screen before it is stained.It is also no denser that most good American Black Walnut(at least the grade of wood that CZ is buying).

Last edited by jim62; 02/18/07.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That's a very nice .22.

I appreciate everyone's comments, btw. I'd like to get a good, accurate .22LR rifle for one of my daughters. She'd have to choose it, based on my initial selection of what's suitable, but it looks like she'll have fine ones to pick from.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. -- Daniel Webster
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Have a look at the CZ 452 American in a bolt. Or, Thompson Center Classic in auto. You'll get your moneys worth with either.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have to agree CZ is hard to beat, and TC is nothing to back away from.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you are into improving things, it is hard to beat a 10/22. They can be had or equipped with all sorts of barrels, sights, triggers, stocks depending on your asthetics/wants/needs. Then again its hard to improve on the bolt gun suggestions above.

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Jim62,

I only own the the magnum 452 - a 17HMR and a 22wmr. I have to say that the wood on my 22WMR 'American' is awfully nice, even if stained and the polish and bluing is quite nice. My son has a Savage 93R17 and the CZ is much better finished. I can actually get the magazine out of the CZ without a lot of effort.

I recenly added an RAA Bilathlon 7-2 to my collection. This is a rifle that deserves a look. Match chamber, hammer forged barrel and a trigger that is unbelieveable. The finish is a little rough, but t shoots like a match rifle.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Tod; 02/23/07.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (2500HD, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.