Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I will soon have some 4,000 .223 cases reloaded. Doesn't make much sense to buy the 100 ct. MTM boxes for so many rounds. I already have 2,000 rounds stored in those 100 ct. plastic containers, but another 4,000 would be a bit much.

I've not handled the polymer "dry storage boxes" that many sites offer (Cabela's, Midway, etc.). They very well may be the answer to my problem....not sure. I like the idea of dry and polymer (weight). I expect that they hold around 1,000 or so loaded .223's, but that's just from eyeballin' the pictures. I've not purchased loaded ammo in these boxes so have no idea as to what they hold.

Does anyone have an idea or a real amount that these containers hold of loaded .223 cases? Or any other ideas as to a better way for storage? My "room" is dry, so a suggested alternative doesn't need to be dry, but it does seem preferable.

Appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mag

I've not kept my loaded stuff secure. Its out in the loading room mostly and some of the important stuff in the house.

All in plastic lidded containers from wally world. Appx 10x15 inch by maybe 5 inch deep containers. IIRC they were cheap and they've done well. Some loaded stuff is now approaching 5+ years old and is fine when it goes bang. Trying to think back but a plastic one holds around 500 loaded rounds IIRC.

I still keep my 45 in ammo cans, either 30 or 50s.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
ammo boxes
I got tired of not knowing how many loaded round I really had so I got these. not very expensive and I know at a glance what I have.
not what you asked about but I hope it helps someone

Big guns can be loaded down to little gun levels. Little guns are always little guns.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I use milsurp ammo cans, just make sure the rubber gasket is in good shape. Tough and dependable and dourable. Get em at a gunshow for $5.

I have a few of the "dry boxes" they are good but not really strong enought to put 1000 rnds of loose ammo in. They will bulge after a while and look funny and may not seal well afterwards.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks fellas........it's got to be a bulk container (dry boxes, milsurp or otherwise) as I'm just going to dump piles of ammo in "something" and grab necessary amounts from said container to fill up my 100 ct. MTMish cartridge holders when emptied.

Still pondering the possibilities. Don't know how many a milsurp ammo can is supposed to hold, but they seem robust enough to handle whatever would fill them up....but as I said earlier....I've got no clue. Bulging milsurp cans can't be good..................

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
a narrow 30 cal ammo can will hold 500 loose or on strippers If i remember right.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Five gallon bucket from the local hardware store w/ a lid?

Works for brass at least! Fired, cleaned, processed, all in different pails.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Check with any of your (or wife/girlfriend's) friends who have cats. Tidy Cat Litter containers make great stackable storage containers and should be free. They are about 1.5 to 2 gallon size and have a flip open half lid.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think Darrell meant bulging plastic dry boxes. I now recall seeing a bulge issue on a couple of the plastic ones from a friend once...

50 cal can will hold at least 2000 rounds of 45 acp, I've just dumped bulk 223 surplus in cans, never counted. Assumption is that they should hold 800-1000 pretty easy. I don't think you can go wrong with the 50 cal cans if you aren't going a cheaper plastic non sealed route...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
All good suggestions. Gotta end up with somethin' soon. Seems almost like a silly question initially, but there are obviously issues with loaded bulk cases in very large amounts.

I suppose I could throw them all in a 50 gal. drum and in time, I'd have that filled up too. Obvious issue's there, outside of not being able to move the sucker.....mainly, deformed cases on the bottom due to the enormous weight above. Just a joke on the 50 gal. drum possibility, but it does bring into play that issue of, "what is so large a container that rounds on the bottom of the pile can possibly be deformed?". I would have to assume that most of the above suggestions come in under that "weight line", but there is a limit, I'm sure......and I don't want to toy with it. Not looking for a definitiive answer as I don't suppose there is one.....but that plays into my considerations for storage containers as well.

Thanks guys, not trying to drag it out, just making clear my concerns. I expect all of your suggestions would work just perfectly, but if I'm going to make one move to "get there", I just soon it be one based on all my needs and concerns. Therefore, the aforementioned, more descriptive, concerns and/or thoughts are offered.

Thanks again.

IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Question:

How do you keep so many rounds loaded?

I keep emptying mine . . . . . . (grin).

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Answer:

I don't varmint hunt (except yotes') during the winter. I fish hard when the winds don't howl and load a bunch when they do.....as I shove off in about an hour with my daughter.

It's tough for me to have empty cases around and having just ordered 4,000 .223 cases a while ago, I had my work cut out. I also make back to back forays to MT. to hunt gophers and PD's which accounts for about 1,100 rounds per each 4 day shoot. Sometimes I don't have time to reload between these trips, especially when still fishin' as well, so I need tons of loaded up ammo available to me at most times.

What the hell......you're not my wife!! I'm save these excuses for her....grin.

Last edited by magnumb; 02/28/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mag, I've been using the .50 Cal mil surplus steel cans with good results. I like to order supplies and load .223 in 1000 round quantities when I do it, and the can will hold that much without bearing down the lid on the loaded rounds to get it closed. I tape a "Birth Certificate" I print out on the computer to the top of the lid so I know whats in it and when I loaded it, or the manufacturer and headstamp if it's milsurp ammo going in the can, works pretty well and they stack nice and neatly on shelves, and the handles are designed to heft that kinda weight when you pick up a full can. I get them locally at a surplus dealer for $8.95, used to see them cheaper at the gunshows but they havent had any lately.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My S.O. buys bulk ammo, which is stored in ammo cans, loose. I think 500 rounds to a box.

This is a fine solution. No reason to stand each round upright in its own space.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I've got 2,000 "stood up" in their own place, but these I use on each trip and they're handier that way....I can keep track of the tally as well.

But for bulk storage...no way. Whatever container I'll end up using will be akin to an extra large bag of popcorn.......grab whatever amount I think my AR can digest.

Will butter contaminate the primers.........?

Last edited by magnumb; 03/01/07.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
<chomp, chomp, much> I don't think so, but it does wonders to <chomp munch> to keep the action well oiled... laugh

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Ya know...in a pinch.....you'd know it would work.

I've heard of stranger lubes being used.......KY for one...LOL

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I use the used ammo cans. I also bought 1000 small cheap zip lock bags and put 50 rounds in each. I use a black marker and write the load on the outside. Easy to count and easy to grap a few hundred and throw in a fanny pack.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
KY, water soluble, don't see why not... easy to clean up then too....

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I so hate when I see my Dr. reaching for it with his extra large clubs for hands...

I told him that my next Dr. is gonna be a really small asian woman with really tiny hands and fingers. He laughed, then opened the bottom drawer below the "massage table" and showed me the rubber glove box that had written on the top, "EXTRA LARGE",..............geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

309 members (257 mag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 27 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,450
Posts18,528,889
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.