Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Never been a longbow person.
Shot various ones, my bud's Tomahawk was almost tolerable LOL.

Anyway, another bud works at shop and said they had an 80# Howard Hill longbow.
Said he couldn't draw it.

I drew it slow and held it for a couple secs. Couple times.

smile

He just shook his head.

I could proly shoot it a while, but shock would proly light up my wrist.

The dude that does the Whitetail Adrenalin videos runs a 72# Dwyer.

Have shot (borrowed) heavy recurves..........they are a different beast for sure.

Might just snag a 65# or so Widow if one comes along cheap wink

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Longbows rock. Thin tips are fast and low shock in the bow hand. That being said, if it were not my longbow it would be my Ernie Root Warrior recurve with the red feather rest that I would hunt with.

Last edited by sharp_things; 04/13/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
I suppose if I had another Jeep XJ I could use that longbow as a spare leaf spring...........

My buddy had an 'Ol Ben 5000 yrs ago, think it was 77#.

Used to have informal contest to see who could string it the fastest (no stringer)
Pretty damn funny

Outside of the novelty factor, I think longbows totally suck.
Never have liked them.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/13/18.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I shot 70-72 pound compounds from mid 1970 till six months ago and then went to 62 pounds.
Ten years ago I tried a 65 pound recurve, ain’t no way. I sold it.

NRA Patron
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Compounds work your muscles differently.
Guys that can horse a stiff recurve often have trouble with moderate weight compounds.
And guys that do OK with compounds have trouble with trad bows.

I do find today's hot rod compounds uncomfortable, even painful. I like a little give at the start of the draw.
The old Hoyt Cam and Half system (2005 Hoyt Protec) was comfy as heck at 72#.

PSE Omen is just nasty LOL

My 84# Oneida was smooth.

What kills me is seeing folks draw bows.............heavy or light, some folks jerk them, or wave them around.
I draw slow and smooth, no matter what the #.

Must say, my back took a beating for shooting heavy bows for yrs. Still problematic in one spot.
I draw 28".................guys at 70# w 30" draws...............had me having to run 80#.

Aint no he-man thing...............I don't care what somebody shoots................they just gotta shoot it well.

Have seen heavy # that suck. Seen plenty of bad archers at normal and even lighter draw weights.

I was just glad (and surprised) I could still draw the heavies like I used to. Must have woke on the right side of the bed for once smile

Last edited by hookeye; 04/14/18.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shot a 67 lb. Hoyt. Pro-Hunter recurve for years but, candles on the cake eventually caught up with me. These days it's 45-50 lb. long bows and recurves and I'm happy. They work just as well for my needs and purposes. I never could get my head wrapped around calling something that is a cam actuated, arrow launching device a "bow". I don't know what else they could be called but they aren't a bow by strictest definition other than they shoot an arrow....which can be done with a 410 shotgun with the shot removed from the shell and that certainly isn't a "bow". Consequently I've stayed longbow/recurve all my life with a nice longbow being the epitome. If I had a chance for a Howard Hill bow I'd own it "just 'cuz". Hill bows simply are not seen locally.

I'm not slamming compounds. They're accurate, easy to use, require a lot less time to become effective with, get more folks in the woods and they're certainly popular. They just aren't for me....and my opinion carries as much weight as a feather.

Last edited by sharps4590; 04/15/18.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
The shop has two HH longbows, a 43#@30" and the 80# @28".
I dunno what new ones go for.
Have no interest in either, as I dislike longbows.

Recurves have always been my thing.
Like compounds fine,

If you want some let-off with no cams.........there used to be the Firebrand and Monster bows........

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That looks like the old Oneida Eagles. ^^^^

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
What you draw smooth and slow now will likely be a different story in 20 years,and they go quickly. There's no need to over bow yourself. A 55 lb recurve or RD longbow will kill any big game animal short of maybe dangerous game.

As for the Howard Hill bows. I wouldn't own one if you gave it to me. I've never found anything less efficient and less comfortable to shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lighter bows still work well. I have a compound set at #45, that is dead on accurate for deer. I shoot instinctive, no sights, and no draw hold. I move only when I have the shot already.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Still don't have my 55# Blackwidow HS set up.
Need a Delta/Bear quiver.
Might up the tip weight to 200gr, on the old GT 5575 from when I had a 60# HS.
Just turned 54.
I don't shoot the poundage I used to, or shoot as much (used to damn near every day).
Wimpy and lazy I am.
Plus my job beats me up pretty good.
Still, a thumper would be cool to have .............by that I mean a 65# recurve.
I think that heavy enough..............but 30 yrs ago my first Widow was 62# and I thought it no bog deal LOL.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/15/18.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
hookeye, it don't git no better!!!! I have 11 years on you and man, for me, after 60 things seemed to head south in a hurry. My 50's were still pretty good but I could see, uhhh....feel....the writing on the wall.

I don't know that I'd ever shoot, or try to shoot, a heavy, Hill bow. I'd just like to have one for the history they represent. Not a lot different from when I told the wife I'd like to have one of those retro looking Indian motorcycles. She kinda looked at me funny and said "I didn't think you wanted to ride anymore?". Told here I didn't want to. I just wanna go out in the garage/shop, look at it and start it up once in a while....lol

Last edited by sharps4590; 04/16/18.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
I'd be content with the history of a Bear TD recurve.
Heaviest trad bow I shot was a 77# longbow. Buddy had one.
Recurve, 72#. That was ten yrs ago............and I shot it for hours.

Went back to LGS and messed with the 80# Hill. Didn't shoot it but drew and held at draw several more times.
Hate the low heel grip. Made my wrist hurt (been broken about 4 times).

I gotta shoot a high wrist, so longbows...........even if I liked them.............are a no go.

Found a set of 66# limbs for one of my Widows.............

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Many options for a comfortable grip recurve. Think about 45# at your draw length, then get your deer. Don’t need a heavy draw weight. Your shoulders will thank you by avoiding rotator cuff surgery.

Southwest archery ( southwestarchery.com), has updated versions of the 62” Samick Sage, and the 64” Samick Journey 3-piece takedown recurves. The are named the Spyder and Spyder XL. About $150 ( extra limbs about $77, and are available to 55# on the Spyder XL). I have several recurves ( and a couple of longbows). I own both the Samick Journey and Southwest Archery Spyder XL ( 64” amo, I have a near 30” draw and the 62” Sage stacks a bit for me). They shoot as well ( or close to as well) as my other recurves ( 68” 1959 Bear kodiak Special, 64” Wing Gull, 66” 1962 Bear Polar, 66-68” Samick Athlete ILF 23” riser ),

Hard to beat the Spyder xL for value or performance. Very comfortable grip ( a little smaller than the Sage/Journey riser, which I find as an improvement). It is Very smooth drawing to 30”. It’s dead in the hand, and fast-flight strong capable. Used a Spyder XL to win the state 3d championship last year.( 40 #@28” or about 45#@ my draw length).

Southwest Archery website

Last edited by buttstock; 05/05/18. Reason: Added link

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
I dislike longbows.
Have 48# and 55 # recurves smile

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
What is there to dislike about shooting long bows?

Maybe my muscles are sensitive enough but I haven't felt any real difference between shooting a long bow and a recurve.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well long bows are basically for men, aren't they? Your muscles, if that's what you wish to call them, are maybe too sensitive. The longbow sensed this and withheld from you the demands which must be met to bring forth its ultimate power.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Interesting, and timely, thread. I just bought myself my father's day present...

[Linked Image]

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Nice bow smile

Thought about a new Blackwidow...............but then the kid said she needed two summer classes to get her bach, not just the one LOL.

Recurves are functional art.
Longbows are just sticks wink

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
I like my recurves around 58".
Minimal handshock and certain grip.
Plus I like the looks of recurves.

All that means longbows are out.

Don't care for DH recurves.
My preference, since '87..............has been for Black Widow.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
If someone was looking for a long bow, I do not think you could go wrong with a Black Hunter. You can get one for around 200.00 and it includes the side plates and rug rest, and silencers. I have one, taken it too a lot of shoots, and most say, it shoots as well or better than there expensive bows,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 32 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.