Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Was reading over in the varmint forum about 223 hunting bullets and figured I'd ask this here.
There were several comments on how good the 55 SGK is on deer/hogs/lopes.
I was wondering how the Hornady 55 SP compares to it.
Is it as tough/good?
I'm trying to find an inexpensive deer/hog load that shoots very close to same POI as 55 FMJ so my son can practice a lot this summer with the FMJ and switch to SP for deer this fall.
Obviously I'd check zero before just switching.
I can pick up Hornady 55 SP locally for $24/50. I don't hand load.
Is this a viable option?
Keep in mind a first year hunter sending these things toward a deer shoulder.
Shots will be kept under 100 yards.
Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The non-cannelured version has a good reputation for holding together. My late brother loaded up some for the guy who owned the land we hunted years back, and they were good killers in his .22/250. He shot a doe end-on at about 100 yards and the bullet ended up inside a hindquarter. He whacked a few others as well. I'd shoot heart-lung on deer, like with everything else; 1/3 way up.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
you will have no problem if you make PROPER SHOT PLACEMENT... they will NOT alleviate a poor shot.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since you’re planning on shoulder shots, I’d pick a stouter Bullet. should work ok for broadside lung shots.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I put one through both shoulders of a big doe {140 lbs} from 80 yards a few years ago. She dropped instantly. The bullet was recovered from just under the hide on the offside. It was mushroomed nearly to the base but core and jacket were still in one piece.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
They will work for deer and small hogs behind the shoulder. Not for use on big pigs.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can't speak to how well they hold together on an onside shoulder hit. The one and only time I used one on a WI whitetail the shot did a good job tearing up the lungs and hit the offside shoulder. It tore up pretty well all the meat, blew into bitty fragments, and cracked the shoulder bone. This was on a little bitty 120# doe during an antlerless only hunt. The range was about 90 yards with a fairly small shooting lane. Honestly, I'd not use this bullet in 223 for WT again, as the 60 gr NPT works much better, as does their 64gr BSB.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by trplem
I can't speak to how well they hold together on an onside shoulder hit. The one and only time I used one on a WI whitetail the shot did a good job tearing up the lungs and hit the offside shoulder. It tore up pretty well all the meat, blew into bitty fragments, and cracked the shoulder bone. This was on a little bitty 120# doe during an antlerless only hunt. The range was about 90 yards with a fairly small shooting lane. Honestly, I'd not use this bullet in 223 for WT again, as the 60 gr NPT works much better, as does their 64gr BSB.
Funny, I've killed a bunch of whitetails with that bullet and never had a problem. Have two 8 point bucks on the wall that fell to that bullet.The bigger of the two dressed 172 lbs. and fell instantly to a quartering away lung shot.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
For clarification, I won't be instructing him to bust the shoulder.
Just saying that might be where it ends up if he gets a little buck fever and was wondering if it'd be up to the task.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Slip, years a go I shot a nice doe in the shoulder with this bullet from a .223, she did run, but only a shot distance.. I read where the boys in Montana have shot quite a lot of deer, antelope and a couple bear with the 55 Horn.. But they did use them from Swifts or the .22-250..

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
What about a Barnes for hunting?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Hey the 55Hornady works perfectly if you place it in the lungs/heart/shoulder.

Shot in the ass or the fuggin' guts, maybe not so much grin

Nothing the matter with the 55-grain Hornady in the .223 Normal at all.

I've killed maybe fifty mulies, some rather big, with that combination and I NEVER had a repeat customer. One shot ... one dead deer.

Pretty simple, actually.

Blessings,

kd

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kududude

Hey the 55Hornady works perfectly if you place it in the lungs/heart/shoulder.

Shot in the ass or the fuggin' guts, maybe not so much grin

Nothing the matter with the 55-grain Hornady in the .223 Normal at all.

I've killed maybe fifty mulies, some rather big, with that combination and I NEVER had a repeat customer. One shot ... one dead deer.

Pretty simple, actually.

Blessings,

kd

Someone somewhere said something like "Shoot 'em in the front half." grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are lots of uncontrolled variables in this sport that we love. Not judging, just find it interesting that some folks on this thread have good success with a 55gr CnC bullet ostensibly designed for varmints, and at the same there are folks on a nearby thread who have had poor results from a 120gr CnC bullet at 7-08 velocities.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've used them with excellent results from my 22-250, 220 Swift and 220 Wilson Arrow. My hunting partner has had great results from his 223 with them. This one is fell to that bullet from the 220 Wilson Arrow at 175yds. MV was about 3800fps.

[Linked Image]

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A .224” diameter bullet 50-70 grain wouldn’t be my first or tenth choice for deer hunting.

BUT, if that was all I had ( my 222 Rem and 50-55 grains soft point jacketed bullet) and I was hungry, within a reasonable distance ( under 100 yards) and able to get a good shot ( neck) on a non-running deer, I would be eating venison.

My wife has a friend that has taken something like 21 deer with 21 shots from her 222 Remington, Model Savage 340, and factory 50 or 55 grain loads. She shoots from a tree stand on her father’s farm. Shots are under 50 yards. 4x Weaver EL Paso scope ( 1960’s vintage and regular cross hair). Her shot is a high neck shot, just under the base of the skull. Not a lot of tracking was ever needed, and she has dropped 200+ lbs dressed-out whitetails with that system ( Albion, Maine).

A 222 Rem is legal for deer hunting in Maine.

With the 55 grainers from your 223, you may want to focus on neck shots.... and keep it inside 100 yards.

Last edited by buttstock; 05/17/18.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by southtexas
There are lots of uncontrolled variables in this sport that we love. Not judging, just find it interesting that some folks on this thread have good success with a 55gr CnC bullet ostensibly designed for varmints, and at the same there are folks on a nearby thread who have had poor results from a 120gr CnC bullet at 7-08 velocities.

Hunting deer with a .224" 55 gr. bullet is a stunt like riding a bicycle no handed. Some day it won't be the right choice.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The load that you mentioned will work fine. I’ve used them on body shots and they held together fine. As some others have stated large hogs might be a different story. Extended family have used them, mostly on WT neck shots I think...though my FiL likes to neck shoot them with his 270 as-well....

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
55 gr Hornady spire point, 223 Rem, about 80 yards, 120 lb doe.

DRT!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
What about a Barnes for hunting?

I’m not saying they want kill a deer. My question is why use a varmit bullet on Deer. Barnes, Nosler etc make bullets that are designed for larger game. They are not that expensive and you probably want be shooting a lot of them. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slip_sinker
Was reading over in the varmint forum about 223 hunting bullets and figured I'd ask this here.
There were several comments on how good the 55 SGK is on deer/hogs/lopes.
I was wondering how the Hornady 55 SP compares to it.
Is it as tough/good?
I'm trying to find an inexpensive deer/hog load that shoots very close to same POI as 55 FMJ so my son can practice a lot this summer with the FMJ and switch to SP for deer this fall.
Obviously I'd check zero before just switching.
I can pick up Hornady 55 SP locally for $24/50. I don't hand load.
Is this a viable option?
Keep in mind a first year hunter sending these things toward a deer shoulder.
Shots will be kept under 100 yards.
Thanks in advance.

I have shot two turkeys with the Hornady 55 SP out of a 223 and I had mixed results. The bullet expanded pretty violent on one and really mild on the other. For shots of 100 yards or less the velocity is still going to be high enough for violent results. I would not advise it unless you can handload and slow them down.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They work just fine on whitetail deer. They will break a shoulder with no problem.

They are not what I would describe as an actual "varmint" bullet anyway. They function as simply a softpoint.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago in Texas I shot several deer with that bullet in a short barreled .222....it worked great.....it's all about bullet placement....and very little to do with muzzle energy.....I'm not sure about this but I suspect the same results would be had with the .22 Hornet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
They work just fine on whitetail deer. They will break a shoulder with no problem.

They are not what I would describe as an actual "varmint" bullet anyway. They function as simply a softpoint.

Perhaps, but the company that designed and manufactures them says they are varmint bullets

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not a 55 hornady, but a federal blue box 50 gr, buck was bedded 350 yds across a canyon, touched er off, he flipped 150 yards through the clearcut to the bottom. I’ll be using my no 1 22-250 with 55 hornadys this fall on bucks, I’m not even second thinking it....
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They worked well in a Kimber of Oregon .223 for what goes as a large deer in the Hill Country of Tejas about 120 field dressed. Shot probably six deer and twice as many hogs with the Federal load that used the Hornaday. I thought they might be too soft for the faster 224s but others in this thread reported to the contrary. Only had one deer go more than about 20 yards, this due to a shot near the last ribs. Have not tried the Sierras but the 62 grain is supposed to be good.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the input guys

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by southtexas

THIS !!!! ALL about proper shot placement.

Will Rogers
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

THIS

Ive killed a number of deer and just last week a couple Blackbuck in Texas with the Hornady 55 SP

Shot placement is key.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might want to consider the deal Midsouth Shooter Supply has on 62 grain Hornady BTHP in bulk bags for about 11 or 12 cents a bullet. They are sold as hunting bullets and I can attest to their efficiency on hogs. Normally I wouldn't consider .223 on big game but the AR15 with low recoil and fast target recovery means a lot on large numbers of targets. My .30-06 is the weapon of choice for big game but it is too slow for 10 to 20 hogs at once. For that matter the AR15 is too slow in my hands but this 62 grain bullet works for me as well as Barnes at about 20% the price.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ss, My neighbor borrowed my Browning Micro Medallion .223 for his daughter to use for deer hunting for two seasons. She's 2 fer 2 on decent bucks with the 55gr Hornady SP. Both heart shots.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The non-cannelured version has a good reputation for holding together. My late brother loaded up some for the guy who owned the land we hunted years back, and they were good killers in his .22/250. He shot a doe end-on at about 100 yards and the bullet ended up inside a hindquarter. He whacked a few others as well. I'd shoot heart-lung on deer, like with everything else; 1/3 way up.

Pappy348,

I bought a few hundred of the 55gr sp with cannelure. You mention the non-cannelure version has a reputation for holding together. Are you implying that the cannelure version does not hold together? My both bullets are the same just one has the cannelure and the other one does not.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by valad
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Pappy348,

I bought a few hundred of the 55gr sp with cannelure. You mention the non-cannelure version has a reputation for holding together. Are you implying that the cannelure version does not hold together? My both bullets are the same just one has the cannelure and the other one does not.

I dont think he implied that at all...cause we know from a looooong track record the ones with the cannelures DO indeed hold together.

I Have such faith in them that Ive never loaded and hunted with a non-cannelures version...they might work just as swell....but Ive never bothered to try.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Thanks ingwe. This is the first post I seen someone mention "non-cannelure" and was wondering if they are that different.

B
B
I was intrigued by this as well. Nice to hear reports from those who've actually used it. Thanks.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Some recent kills with the 55 Grain Hornady....out of a .222

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: Justahunter
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And another one..on a deer, since that was the OPs question...223AI 55 gr. Hornady

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
For a simple bullet cup and core, they are great bullets.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 55 gr. Winchester sp's work just as well.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've always been under the impression that the cannelured versions actually hold together slightly better than the plain.

The cannelure strategically weakens the jacket so that it folds back a bit more at that point, tucking everything together a little tighter.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Probably one of my top ten favorite threads on the fire. I’ve read it about a dozen times. I haven’t landed a 222 yet, but I did happen across a nice 1:12 twist 223 Rem chambered M77 Ultra Light! The 55gr Power Points should do the trick.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The 55gr Hornady SP has a small boat tail now, how does it compare to the older flatbase version on deer?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
No worries with the 55 SP. My son has had used them in my 22-250 with no problems.

GreggH

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
you guys can draw your own conclusions on this post, involving something I saw using Hornady 55 grain SP and FMJ bullets.

A bunch of 4 x 6 steel plates were left at the local range on one of the banks at 100 yds. Their thickness was 3/8 of an inch.

I shot one of them with a 223, loaded to 2650 fps MV. 10 Shots and I had 10 holes in the steel plate. I was thinking I shouldn't be seeing this, but there they were.

So I went home and loaded up 40 rounds of 223 ammo, divided into groups of 10.

2 groups each, with ten 55 grain SP Hornady bullets and ten with 55 gr FMJ Hornady Bullets. The load gave 3150 fps MV at the Muzzle, for both bullets. This is military MV specs for an M 16.

The second two groups were loaded with the same two bullets, ten each, with an MV of 2650 fps at the Muzzle. 55 gr Hornady SP, and 55 gr FMJ.

So the results I saw, when shooting at 100 yds, with several of these same Steel plates.

When leaving the Muzzle at 3150 fps, ALL of the 55 grain SP and 55 FMJ Hornady bullets, did nothing but splatter when hitting the plates.

Next, I shot ALL of the other group of bullets, leaving the Muzzle at 2650 fps at two plates. One for the 55 gr SP and one for the 55 gr FMJ. ALL of the bullets leaving the MV at 2650 fps, managed to penetrate right thru the same steel plates EACH time. I didn't expect to see this, but there it was, right in front of me. However that is not what I expected to see.

I went home and had to put some thought into why I saw those results. Finally it came to me pretty clearly:

The answer was structural integrity. The Steel plates have a certain amount of structural integrity to them. The bullets have a certain amount of structural integrity to them also.

Leaving the barrel at 3150 fps, and contacting the steel plates at 100 yds, the Structural Integrity of the Steel Plates, had the ability to overcome the Structural integrity of the Steel plates. So the results were seeing ten 55 gr FMJs and ten 55 gr SPs hitting the steel plates and splattering EACH TIME.

The next pair of groups were leaving the Muzzle at 2650 fps, and in contacting the Steel Plates at 100 yds, at the lower speed, the structural integrity of the bullets were able to overcome the structural integrity of the Steel Plates. Results were that I had ten holes in each of the two Steel Plates. One with 10 holes from the ten SP bullets and the other with ten FMJ bullets.

Conclusion to this project test: Bullets have certain parameters that they can penetrate a media they are shot at. At least on these Steel plates, when the speed of the bullet is slowed down, they have the ability to penetrate more than the faster moving bullets. So if people compare the results on game, with a 222 vs a 223, the slower speed of the 222 will do better in penetration than the 223 running at a faster MV.

AS I said, draw your own conclusions. But since this experiment to find an answer to my question, I've seen a lot of different bullets out of different caliber guns, in distance under 200 to 250 yds, work better at the slower speeds. Hence at my age now, I am down to using the 6 x 45 and the 6.5 Grendal for my deer hunting for the number of seasons that I have left in me.

seafire...
May 4, 2024.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

1 member likes this: Deere_Man
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
good post Seafire. I have noticed the same

Will Rogers
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Don't people have something more to do than ask these stupid questions day after day???????

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Don't people have something more to do than ask these stupid questions day after day???????

I find this subject matter about 1000X’s more interesting than another thread about a 30-06.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 64 grain Power Point is designed for shooting antelope and deer with the 223 and 22-250 as loaded by Winchester in their factory ammo. I shot a whitetail doe several years ago with that bullet fired from a 223 WSSM. There was snow on the ground and I have never seen an off-side blood spray like this bullet/cartridge combination produced.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I personally have never been a fan of the 223 for deer but have shot quite a few hogs and deer with the round anyway. Never lost one using it. For some situations like hunting from a blind watching a feeder it is as good as anything else if you know where to put the bullet and can do so. I have used the 55 and 60 gr, Hornady SP's along with the Hornady 60 gr. HP with good results overall. I personally feel the 22-250 is a step up giving a bit more range.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ingwe

THIS

Ive killed a number of deer and just last week a couple Blackbuck in Texas with the Hornady 55 SP

Shot placement is key.

This again. I have killed several does, one smallish buck, and a pig or two with this bullet from my 527 in .223. Like most bullets it works fine-just have to put it in the right spot. Wound channel looks a bit like that of a .243. How true it is I do not know but I have been told that Joyce Hornady designed the bullet so it would work in a .220 Swift as a decent varmint bullet. In the slower cartridges like a .223 it acts like a regular softpoint.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2500HD, 160user, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 1,929 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,559
Posts18,510,489
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.