Hop To
#12874332 05/21/18
J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Been using Muzzys for the last 4 years or so. They generally work well on game but I don’t usually get a whole lot of a blood, but I always have an awful time getting them tuned to fly similar to practice tips. So today I bought a pack of Rage heads, which I used before the Muzzys with mixed results. Shooting a Bowtech Sniper at 65#, total arrow weight comes to about 365gr. Not a super powerful setup but gets the job done. When I was using Rage before they had the O rings, these new ones have the plastic shock collar. Has anyone had experience with these and what are your thoughts? According to Rage the shock collar has better blade retention and takes less energy to open on impact. Not quite sure how that works.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think you may be unimpressed but mainly due to the super light arrow weight. You will want more mass to power that big cutting area through animals.Your only shooting 6 grains per pound of draw weight. This will likely result in you watching deer run off with the arrow sticking out when in the past you likely had pass throughs.

Your tuning issues also were likely to a very low FOC. You can remedy both by boosting total arrow weight and increasing FOC with more weight up front. Switiching to long steel or brass inserts will benefit you a lot. There is not negative as it will quiet your bow as well. Some might think that the weight slowing your arrow is a negative but its not since speed doesnt matter a lick. You care about arrow flight and penetration first and foremost, The speed fad is only for selling bows.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've used Rage broad heads a time or two over the years and have killed what I shot. I don't use um anymore. Just couldn't warm up to them.

As far as the total arrow weight. I've always lived by, never chase speed at the expense of arrow weight.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by JJWise
According to Rage the shock collar has better blade retention and takes less energy to open on impact. Not quite sure how that works.

I've shot the Rages in two and three blade for about 6-8 years on vertical bows and crossbows. I think the collars are an improvement over the rubber o-rings - but I haven't shot anything with the collars yet.

The o-rings broke down over time, they are soft rubber, and they were prone to knicks from the blades rubbing on the ring. I got in the habit of replacing the rings after each season, the new rings were cheap insurance against a blade opening during a shot.

The collars are "plastic" - they should last better/longer than the soft rubber over time, BUT, if you hit the quiver with the broadhead on the way in, they may break as designed, and you have to replace the collar in the field. With the o-rings, you just hooked the blade back over the o-ring, and went on.

I've two Rage packs that did not have the broadhead cross-tip blade sharpened, they were stamped out, assembled, but never sharpened - they replaced them, no issues.

If your bow is not tuned well, the Rages will not fly any better than the Muzzies, you need a good tune before you start chasing arrows.

J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by sharp_things
I think you may be unimpressed but mainly due to the super light arrow weight. You will want more mass to power that big cutting area through animals.Your only shooting 6 grains per pound of draw weight. This will likely result in you watching deer run off with the arrow sticking out when in the past you likely had pass throughs.

Your tuning issues also were likely to a very low FOC. You can remedy both by boosting total arrow weight and increasing FOC with more weight up front. Switiching to long steel or brass inserts will benefit you a lot. There is not negative as it will quiet your bow as well. Some might think that the weight slowing your arrow is a negative but its not since speed doesnt matter a lick. You care about arrow flight and penetration first and foremost, The speed fad is only for selling bows.

I’m not much for speed either. My last set up had quite a bit heavier arrows, but I was down to 3 useable arrows and my wife got me these for Christmas, figured I’d use them since I had them. The 2 deer I shot last year were both pass through shots (using Muzzy MX3), and they fly well with field tips. Even with my last arrows, I had trouble with the Muzzys flying well.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Im at 64 pounds draw and shoot a 700 grain arrow with a 250 grain broadhead. As you get up to adult sized arrows and broadheads and FOC about 19% you can shoot any broadhead and not worry about getting a pass through in the worst possible situation and the high FOC makes it easier to get great broadhead flight. I did the rage thing and killed a nice buck and a doe. Neither were a pass through but that was back when I too was shooting dove loads (carbons with aluminum inserts and 100 grain heads).

I always encourage people to trey Rage so they know what it was like when they switch back to fixed blade heads and they have first hand experience.

Last edited by sharp_things; 05/22/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Anyone know of any 50-100gr inserts for a .245” inside diameter? I’d be willing to try them and see how it affects the Muzzy flight and/or Rage penetration

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ethics archery makes them in a variety of materials. American made and Veteran owned.

https://ethicsarchery.com/

J
JJWise Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
If I remember right weight up front weakens spine and weight in the back stiffens? So if I add weight up front is there a way to compensate for that on the rear of the arrow? Or should I just opt for a stiffer spine/arrow altogether?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
test and try before switching arrows. you don't know on what side of the spine range your are on yet.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have the same opinion on super light arrows as sharp things. Also heaver arrows are quieter.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by sharp_things
Im at 64 pounds draw and shoot a 700 grain arrow with a 250 grain broadhead. As you get up to adult sized arrows and broadheads and FOC about 19% you can shoot any broadhead and not worry about getting a pass through in the worst possible situation and the high FOC makes it easier to get great broadhead flight. I did the rage thing and killed a nice buck and a doe. Neither were a pass through but that was back when I too was shooting dove loads (carbons with aluminum inserts and 100 grain heads).

I always encourage people to trey Rage so they know what it was like when they switch back to fixed blade heads and they have first hand experience.

x2

I shot a few does with rages and not impressed. I cant understand the big hype for them when there is a chance for failure. Go with a heavy arrow and coc broad head. Much easier to tune, a lot quieter which is a big plus and more forgiving.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like the newer Rage broadheads. With good shots you’ll get very quick kills, and lots of blood. My arrows vary year-to-year, but are 420-480 grains and the half dozen or so deer I’ve hit with a Rage I never had one stop in the deer and the results have been impressive.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I shot a few with 2 inch Rages. Out of four deer off the top of my head run distance varied from 6 feet to just over 200 yards. One did not exit. All produced a lot of blood. I used them on crossbow arrows that went about 500 grains with the head. They were accurate, and shot to the same point of impact as field points. I used a different than supplied O ring, and seated the "barb" on the blade into the O ring. That kept the blades from opening until it hit Bambi. They're as good as anything IMO and like any large cut head should be used with a heavy arrow behind them unless you have the power of a crossbow to work with, in which case you caan make do with a moderate weight arrow. Speed is not what drives the arrow through, it's the weight behind the head.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,365
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.