Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It dawned on me a while back that I had been missing out on a hunting opportunity.

I've hunted squirrel since Reagan's 1st term. However, I learned from early on that it was much easier to get permission to hunt if I promised to only use a shotgun. In SW Ohio, it was common for farmers to specifically deny 22 LR on their places for not only squirrel, but groundhog as well. The thought was that they did not want 22 LR coming through their windows.

As a result, I've gone 35 years without taking a squirrel with a rifle. My two sons have grown to adulthood avidly shooting squirrels with shotguns as well. It finally dawned on me that, now that we've been on the same property in Kentucky for 17 years, and no 22 bullets have come through our windows, it may be that some of those fears were unfounded, or least based in experiences from a bygone age.

I have resolved to fix that this year. I pulled out of the safe my Marlin 780 and mounted a 1.5-4.5X40 scope on it. I had it out on the back porch this AM, and found I could resolve birds in the trees at 50 yards-- that should be sufficient. I have a supply of lead Winchester standard velocity 22 ammo that shoots well in this rifle.

What else do I need? Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
oil flour salt & pepper and to know when its ready!!!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A sharp knife comes to mind also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shaman
It dawned on me a while back that I had been missing out on a hunting opportunity.

I've hunted squirrel since Reagan's 1st term. However, I learned from early on that it was much easier to get permission to hunt if I promised to only use a shotgun. In SW Ohio, it was common for farmers to specifically deny 22 LR on their places for not only squirrel, but groundhog as well. The thought was that they did not want 22 LR coming through their windows.

As a result, I've gone 35 years without taking a squirrel with a rifle. My two sons have grown to adulthood avidly shooting squirrels with shotguns as well. It finally dawned on me that, now that we've been on the same property in Kentucky for 17 years, and no 22 bullets have come through our windows, it may be that some of those fears were unfounded, or least based in experiences from a bygone age.

I have resolved to fix that this year. I pulled out of the safe my Marlin 780 and mounted a 1.5-4.5X40 scope on it. I had it out on the back porch this AM, and found I could resolve birds in the trees at 50 yards-- that should be sufficient. I have a supply of lead Winchester standard velocity 22 ammo that shoots well in this rifle.

What else do I need? Comments and suggestions are welcome.

My family has used 22 LR for decades to kill squirrels and no windows were damaged laugh You said you were using Winchester standard velocity to hunt. If it is a hollow point, you can hit in the body or head for consistent kills. If it is solid point try for the head or you may have a few make it to a hole before you can get to them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Subsonic hollow points are perfect squawk killers. Round nose solids not so much. If you insist on solids you have to brain shoot them. Plus, if they are facing head on you have to look out for angles that lead the bullet into the guts making a mess, or into edible meat.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pressure cooker or crock pot would be good to have to.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cast iron skillet.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm a bit ahead of you. I've been hunting squirrels since Eisenhower's second term and most of that time with a 22 or, since the early 70's, a 36 cal. Southern Mountain flintlock. Been wanting to get after them this year with my Jeffery Rook rifle chambered in 25-20 WCF and loaded to 255 Jeffery ballistics, but, seems a bit of colon cancer discovered last week is going to delay that until fall. However, I digress...

I never did like hollow points for small game. Standard velocity LR's always worked more than adequate for my purposes. Of course, that is one man's opinion and preference and worth what you paid for it. Back during Eisenhower's second term, where I hunted there wasn't much, if any, fear of shooting at a squirrel up a tree on a limb with no backstop. Things have changed since then and I haven't taken a shot like that in probably 30 years or more. If the limb bacon is on the side of the tree trunk facing me, I still take that shot. Obviously I have no idea about where you are in Kentucky but that's the only caution I would offer, and you're probably already well aware of that.

I believe hunting squirrels with a rifle of any kind probably requires a little more patience and is more of a challenge than busting them with a shotgun. It certainly does for me, waiting for a good shot. That holds especially true when the leaves are still on the trees. Your scope will help, I still use open or aperture sights. Other than that, as others have said all you need is a skillet, bacon grease and seasoning to your satisfaction or, as Jim said, a crock pot or slow cooker of some kind. With your scope you should be able to dodge the old gals and guys and pick on the tender youngsters. Decades ago when I used a scope on a Ruger 77/22, (I assume that rifle still belongs to Jim), if I took my time I didn't shoot any old ones unless I need a fluffy fox squirrel tail to tie fly's.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sharps4590

I never did like hollow points for small game. Standard velocity LR's always worked more than adequate for my purposes. .

I'm glad somebody mentioned this. Hunting squirrels with a .22 was perhaps my favorite thing growing up, and I did a lot of it. I went to Standard Velocity early after shooting them a bunch in small bore competition. Quickly discovered a head shot resulted in a squirrel kicking in the leaves and often alarming others in the area. A behind-the-shoulder-shot like you would shoot a deer, resulted in a squirrel hitting the deck and not twitching...and little to no meat damage. Others ( if there were any...) would not startle, and more than a few times multiple quick kills were made this way...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Guy I know used to say he would rather have a sister that worked in a whore house than a brother that shot Squirrels with a shotgun.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use SK Standard almost exclusively and can not remember a squirrel that got away or made it back to the hole if the shot was placed close behind the shoulder or head shot. If hit in the gut, then yes, they tend to require a second shot. I prefer head shots to all others. I did find a supply of Eley Sub sonic HP's that were being closed out and picked up 2k. After a couple of trips, they are being used for varmint control only or head shots only. Even at sub sonic, the damage if they hit the shoulder is unacceptable in my opinion.

I do take a 16ga on occasion to shoot squirrels, but it is a rarity.

CK
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only non-hollow point I ever cared for is the CCI Small Game Bullet. That little flat point does a fair job of knocking them stiff and not having any runners after the hit. Doing that with minimal meat damage if the angle is bad or a hit goes a bit stray.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by battue
Guy I know used to say he would rather have a sister that worked in a whore house than a brother that shot Squirrels with a shotgun.

I'm in that camp too....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One of my favorite firearms, for squirrels, over the last several years has been a Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling, 16 X 16 over 9.3 X 75R Nimrod. I installed a 22LR einstecklauf in the right shotgun barrel and sighted it in dead on at 25 yards. 35 yards or thereabouts is still pretty much a dead on hold. The left, shotgun barrel is always there for runners I spook and I do occasionally use it. I don't like to but, with the dearth of game birds and bunnies in our area that's about the only chance I get to utilize the drilling. That, and should a 'dillo, yodel dog, skunk or some other vermin show up, they don't take well at all to the 9.3. That happens occasionally.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That M77/22 still sits right next to my M77/22 all weather and my 39M Mounty.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
When it comes to squirrels, I've been using CCI SV LR, for years. Never been a lover of hollow points. The CCIs shoot very well in all four of my .22s.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The Remington gold colored high velocity hollow points have always worked very well for me on squirrels. The few bullets that I have recovered mushroomed perfectly. But I really prefer to use my Marlin 1894CL in 25-20 WCF for small game. I rarely use a shotgun but once in a while it's fun to pull out my old Creasant Arms SxS 16ga for squirrel hunting.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by IMR4350
The Remington gold colored high velocity hollow points have always worked very well for me on squirrels. The few bullets that I have recovered mushroomed perfectly. But I really prefer to use my Marlin 1894CL in 25-20 WCF for small game. I rarely use a shotgun but once in a while it's fun to pull out my old Creasant Arms SxS 16ga for squirrel hunting.

Wish you could use centerfires here. I had a 308 load with 5gr Uniqie and 100gr Speer Plinker that was very accurate in my rifle. Only rimfires allowed here.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I would petition the Game and Fish Department to make an exception for reduced loads like you use and lighter calibers like my 25-20.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
Subsonic hollow points are perfect squawk killers. Round nose solids not so much. If you insist on solids you have to brain shoot them. Plus, if they are facing head on you have to look out for angles that lead the bullet into the guts making a mess, or into edible meat.
Yep, solids suck for body shots. Mini-Mag hollow points for me. They're very accurate in my favorite squirrel rifle and kill well with lung shots. I know there are lots of folks who'll only head shoot and solids will work fine for them. I ain't out there to impress myself or anyone else by shooting only heads. I'm out there to kill squirrels. The more the better and lung shot squirrels eat better than the ones you didn't shoot because they didn't present an opportunity for a head shot..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

I'm in that camp too....

The same applies to rabbits, hunted without dogs anyway. Small mammals, small rifles.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Am I crazy for wanting to do an out of state trip for a squirrels? I'd use sk hollow points and a havalon

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Personally, I have as much fun squirrel hunting as anything since it is less stressful and though I have hunted locally, I don't think an out-of-state trip is crazy at all. I know several groups have "squirrel camps" each year and they are big hits.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are a couple out of state groups that come to my neck of the Missouri Ozarks to squirrel hunt. They camp for three or four days and hunt public ground. They have a good time. My son and I are bow hunting deer at that same time and always visit the one camp every year. One of the older members and his son always make a big squirrel dinner on Saturday night. It's a good time, I enjoy visiting with these guys. Makes me appreciate what I have here when they talk about hunting little wood lots of just a few acres. They come here and hunt a block of public ground of about 60,000 continuous acres and are in heaven.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm right there with you DBrink. I've not participated in a group hunt for squirrels in probably 25 or 30 years but they are a lot of fun. Back then the ones we used to hold were muzzleloaders only and they were a hoot. 1-3 days of primitive hunting, camping and living was a great way to shed everyday concerns. I am aware of the hunts MOGC mentioned. Much of southern Missouri is pretty good squirrel country.

NRA Benefactor 2008

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...le-38-grain-lead-hollow-point-box-of-100

Been using these in my 541T for many years to kill squirrels!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
There are a couple out of state groups that come to my neck of the Missouri Ozarks to squirrel hunt. They camp for three or four days and hunt public ground. They have a good time. My son and I are bow hunting deer at that same time and always visit the one camp every year. One of the older members and his son always make a big squirrel dinner on Saturday night. It's a good time, I enjoy visiting with these guys. Makes me appreciate what I have here when they talk about hunting little wood lots of just a few acres. They come here and hunt a block of public ground of about 60,000 continuous acres and are in heaven.

So what kind of squirrels do you have? Grey? Fox? Both?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So what kind of squirrels do you have? Grey? Fox? Both?

We have both. Some areas have nothing but one or the other then other areas they are intermingled. May have nothing but fox squirrels in an area for a few years then they are gone and greys take over.

Really wanted to get out but this heat has me thinking otherwise. Watched a group of 5 little ones in a den tree back during turkey season and was wanting to get back to that tree opening weekend. Never happened.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks!

I am one of those who likes to hunt squirrels enough that I'd plan an out of state hunt grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Come on. We have more than enough.

I prefer the first week or two of season to kill those little young boogers but always get some fall hunts in between bowhunts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ohio allows for ANY rifle or shotgun for squirrels. And if I use solid bullets, I will try to "bark" 'em, as it does the job with little damage. However. I think I have taken more squirrels with a slingshot, in the last 10 years, than with any type of gun.
Glenfield model 60 .22lr is my choice for a squirrel rifle, or a simple wrist rocket with hex nuts as ammo.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I used to hunt squirrels (fox and grey) w rifle, then switched to handgun, then to bow.
Old and blind now, back to scoped rifle.........but just for pineys.
Half arse built a 10/22 for the job.
Does sub half inch C2C at 50 yards. Good enough.

Still hear guys at shop, and at work..........get wound up about squirrel season opener.
My goodness..................it's all green, hot and the mosquitos are ferocious.
Tag out in deer season then pop squirrels.
Mucho bettero.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/16/18.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Keep thinking a Contender Super 14.............but got an 8" Ruger 22/45
Wears a reddot.
Might use that.
Pineys and handguns.........tough gig.
At least w Contender I could run CB stuff.
Better for places not way way out.

Could say screw it and just sit in deer stand and shoot em when on the ground.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/16/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Illegal to hunt squirrel from above, here, so no stand hunting. And I use squirrel season as a reason to get back out in the woods scouting deer. It is always the first season to open here, by about a month.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks!

I am one of those who likes to hunt squirrels enough that I'd plan an out of state hunt grin

Come ahead brother! The Ozark's have lots of public ground and most years have plenty of squirrels. The daily limit is ten, so you can spend a beautiful fall morning stalking a hardwood ridge full of fall colors. Come in October and bring a shotgun for fall turkey season too. If you need more information feel free to pm me.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Id rather not hunt from a treestand, but in my close to home deer spot, that's the safe way to do it (houses around).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No houses where I hunt... for miles.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks!

Come ahead brother! The Ozark's have lots of public ground and most years have plenty of squirrels. The daily limit is ten, so you can spend a beautiful fall morning stalking a hardwood ridge full of fall colors. Come in October and bring a shotgun for fall turkey season too. If you need more information feel free to pm me.

It may just happen one day!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Little thicket, 4 houses total. One on 3 of the 4 sides.
Loaded with squirrels.
Killed 130" and 150" deer out of it.
Sucky little spot wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What county are you in down there?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't remember where MOG is. If I hunt on our place I have to pick my shots. However, in 20-30 minutes I can be where I wouldn't have to worry about it and I'm in Phelps County, SE of Rolla. As MOG mentioned, lots of Mark Twain Natl. Forest down here and a lot of it is EMPTY!

NRA Benefactor 2008

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We used to turkey hunt around Duke. A guy could walk for miles in that country.

Need to get back down there some time.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I don't understand the rational for not allowing hunting squirrels "from above". Explain?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With your scope you should be able to dodge the old gals and guys and pick on the tender youngsters.

Sort them after they are dead. Fry the young ones and make dumplings with the old ones. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My sons have really honed their woods/hunting skills by getting out in the woods for squirrels. That said you won’t find me out there until the temps drop below 90.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 06/17/18.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Like Ingwe, I am one of those guys that would travel to another state strictly for bushy tails. I am also in that camp that will only go after them with a .22LR.

Having said that, I grew up hunting squirrels in The People's Republik of NJ. It's the most densely populated state in the US. You had to use a shotgun on everything from squirrels and rabbits to deer. It sucked, but it was either that or no hunting at all. Funny thing is they won't let you hunt doves - my other favorite critter to hunt - at all. I moved out of there as soon as I had the chance in my early twenties and never looked back.

I'm in my mid fifties now and maybe that's why to this day I hunt with a .22LR every chance I get. I refuse to pick up a shotgun for anything without feathers and am a .22LR nut. Maybe I'm trying to make up for that wasted youth.

At any rate, I pretty much use subsonics for all my small game hunting. Lately I've been using Eley SS HP's, and find that they are deadly even on the huge jackrabbits they have down here in NM. Hit em right and they go down like they've been struck by lightning. I'm also a big fan of SK and Wolf. With solids, I try to limit myself to head shots though.

I'm retiring soon and plan on doing a lot of fly fishing, dove and squirrel hunting. It's just too bad there aren't a whole lot around here so I'm going to have to do some traveling - but hey, I'm willing. . .

Last edited by Dryfly24; 06/17/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I don't understand the rational for not allowing hunting squirrels "from above". Explain?

It has something to do with not altering the wildlife. Deer didn't used to look up for predators. Now you have to be 12-15' or higher to escape notice. (This is what I was told by ODNR)

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye

Little thicket, 4 houses total. One on 3 of the 4 sides.
Loaded with squirrels.
Killed 130" and 150" deer out of it.
Sucky little spot wink

No disrespect, but it would drive me crazy. I had a buddy that was struggling with turkey hunting. He begged me to come turkey hunt his farm with him. He has 350 acres several counties north of me. I heard traffic noises, dogs barking, doors slamming, people voices, tv's blaring and we walked out the one big ridge on the farm listening for gobblers in an hour. We ended up in a pop up blind on the edge of a field. I couldn't wait to get out of that blind, drove me crazy. The entire experience of farm hunting just leaves me cold.

I see deer, turkey, coyotes, bobcats, elk, black bear and plenty of feral hogs where I hunt. I hear elk bugle, coyotes howl and owls hoot. I seldom hear a man made sound. No way in my lifetime can I hunt out all the ground I have available to me. There aren't fences, I walk until I'm tired and need to head back to the truck. It's what I'm used to and anything less has no appeal to me. I say that respectfully, we all have different experiences, preferences and different things available to us.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kellory

It has something to do with not altering the wildlife. Deer didn't used to look up for predators. Now you have to be 12-15' or higher to escape notice. (This is what I was told by ODNR)

Well I hate to break it to them but squirrels already "look up" for danger. Hawks being one of their primary predators. . .

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

Well I hate to break it to them but squirrels already "look up" for danger. Hawks being one of their primary predators. . .

Duh...

" Biologists"....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Duh...

" Biologists"....

Yeah, I know. Owls too. But it is forbidden here. Wish it wasn't, I counted 15 last time I was in my oldest treestand.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate to break it to them but if I wanted to sit in a stand and shoot a squirrel I would be doing just that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I hate to break it to them but if I wanted to sit in a stand and shoot a squirrel I would be doing just that.

I have never run into a game warden on my land, but I have run into them elsewhere. Do as your conscience and your wallet dictate.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Luckily we don't have a reg like that here in Missouri.

The problem with their regulation is that they say from above.

So does that mean you can only shoot if they are in a tree?? Several instances where you will or could be above a squirrel if you are on the ground.

These lawmakers need a reality check.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 06/17/18.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So does that mean you can only shoot if they are in a tree?? Several instances where you will or could be above a squirrel if you are on the ground.

Naw, they just want the hunters on the ground. I didn't quote the regs word for word. It says to the effect of "not from an elevated platform".

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Naw, they just want the hunters on the ground. I didn't quote the regs word for word. It says to the effect of "not from an elevated platform".

I get the feeling that this law is in effect more for safety reasons than animal behavior. They're probably concerned with people on stands sending bullets down towards the ground where people may be walking around.

Is it a real concern? I don't know but it makes more sense than altering a squirrel's behavior by shooting at it from above.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 06/17/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I get the feeling that this law is in effect more for safety reasons than animal behavior. They're probably concerned with people on stands sending bullets down towards the ground where people may be walking around.

Is it a real concern? I don't know but it makes more sense than altering a squirrel's behavior by shooting at it from above.

Yep...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a result, I've gone 35 years without taking a squirrel with a rifle. . . . I have resolved to fix that this year. I pulled out of the safe my Marlin 780 and mounted a 1.5-4.5X40 scope on it. I had it out on the back porch this AM, and found I could resolve birds in the trees at 50 yards-- that should be sufficient. I have a supply of lead Winchester standard velocity 22 ammo that shoots well in this rifle. What else do I need? Comments and suggestions are welcome.

That's all you need. I miss the squirrel hunting I could do in southern Michigan. Up here there are grey squirrels, but only in town. I don't know why. In the woods all the squirrels are red squirrels. They are tiny and there is no closed season. The squirrels I take are from opportunities while hunting grouse, so they are with a shotgun. If I had a chance at real squirrel hunting I'd be using my CZ452.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Youper
As a result, I've gone 35 years without taking a squirrel with a rifle. . . . I have resolved to fix that this year. I pulled out of the safe my Marlin 780 and mounted a 1.5-4.5X40 scope on it. I had it out on the back porch this AM, and found I could resolve birds in the trees at 50 yards-- that should be sufficient. I have a supply of lead Winchester standard velocity 22 ammo that shoots well in this rifle. What else do I need? Comments and suggestions are welcome.

That's all you need. I miss the squirrel hunting I could do in southern Michigan. Up here there are grey squirrels, but only in town. I don't know why. In the woods all the squirrels are red squirrels. They are tiny and there is no closed season. The squirrels I take are from opportunities while hunting grouse, so they are with a shotgun. If I had a chance at real squirrel hunting I'd be using my CZ452.

I moved from the Soo to NM a little less than two years ago. I used to go down to hunt squirrels with a buddy from Traverse City every year because of the same reason. No grey squirrels other than in town. I did used to shoot the reds on my property. Little destructive bastards were always trying to get into my pole barn.

When I lived in Maine I would keep my Ruger 2245 with a Leupold scope in the dining room by the big picture window overlooking my bird feeders. There were days when I'd kill four or five in a few hours.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Doubful. I can use ANY rifle for squirrels, and I can use my deer rifle from that same stand for deer. Same conditions apply about people.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Squirrel season is now, and always has been, my first hunts of the year. Never could get my head wrapped around spring turkey.

I've an old Marlin model 60 bought around 1985 that shoots any standard velocity solid leads so well that it's almost ridiculous. Head shots rule but if pickings are slim I'll take a body shot on rare occasions. They work but I hate losing any meat.

A lot of the "good squirrel woods" of my youth have houses in them now but, fortunately for me, I know exactly NO other squirrel hunters locally and it's a rare farmer that won't let me hunt. Season is Aug 15 so........the heat stops me from going more than anything. It's early morning on any cooler days or nothing.

Less than two months off. I need to pick up another scope for the Marlin. I took the old 4x off for some dumb reason and, for the life of me, don't recall what I did with it. IIRC.......someone "borrowed" it. LOL hmmmmm

Squirrel makes the best stew ever!

God Bless
Steve

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Steve692, I agree with you. After all my big game hunting, including 2 trips to Africa, my favorite hunting now is squirrels. Like you, except for my son, nobody else hunts them in my neck of the woods. I got 20+ woods I can hunt in my area. I see yer in Indiana, where abouts? I'm in NW IN.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gentlemen, this is WHY Ohio allows any rifle or shotgun for squirrels. It is not very popular anymore, and the risk of other hunters in the same woods is low, unlike when deer gun starts, and the entire orange army hits the woods at once. (As per ODNR)

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I haven't read all of the posts. Like ingwe said, many times squirrels jump after being hit. I like the fact that he reports a shoulder shot would limit/prevent that. I know one time, I had a squirrel standing straight up, like a prairie dog, and I shot him square on the chest. He jumped straight up/down, three times, before dropping. It was...interesting, but as ingwe said, it probably scared off the rest. I have yet to shoot on with my 17 Mach 2

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A head shot squirrel will occasionally flop around for a bit. In my neck of the woods, I don't find it is a distraction to the other game. My father taught me to shoot a squirrel in the nose and he will jump out of his hole in the side of a tree. I will warn you, if you are using a 17M2, only take head shots. You will not be impressed with the body/shoulder shot if you are planning on eating. It is a wonderful caliber and I love it dearly, but it is only regulated for late season squirrel hunts once the leaves have fallen and shots tend to be extended.

CK
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Squirrel season is my favorite. I've been using WW power points for a long time now with good results. Body shots don't damage much meat. The old tough ones make good dog or cat treats after frying in butter. If you are partial to Mepps lures, they buy squirrel tails.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No need to treat the animals, just fry them up and then either bake them on a covered cookie sheet in the over on a damp paper towel, or put a little water in the bottom of the crock pot and wrap them in foil with something underneath to keep them out of the water. Either way works and though not as good as browned right out of the skillet, they're still pretty close and tender with the fried flavor. wink

Last edited by DBrink; 06/21/18.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A set of shooting sticks helps a lot for those headshots.

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
[Linked Image]

This is what I use for a combo shooting/walking stick. I just went to the woods and cut a straight stick, and screwed the tool hanger into the top. It works great.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since I hunt big woods, I'm always standing next to, or sitting against trees. Trees make good shooting aids.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since I hunt big woods, I'm always standing next to, or sitting against trees. Trees make good shooting aids.

What county are you in down there?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reynolds & Shannon...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
use to love it, then discovered deer hunting.

going back to it this fall

im in callaway co.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reynolds & Shannon...

Used to love turkey hunting in Texas and Phelps counties. Need to get back down there and see if it has changed much.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Clever idea maddog!!!

Reynolds and Shannon should definitely have no shortage of squirrels OR room to shoot!!

rockchucker. I lived in the Jeff. City area for 25 years. Did a lot of work in Callaway and hit the rondy at Owl Creek for years. I think Owl Creek is right, been a while. Moved to Wyoming in 2000 but enough guilt to kill a mule brought me back to Mo. Came back to Phelps county, no regrets.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a note, while fishing the last couple weeks I noticed lots of hickory nuts on the trees. Haven't been able to spot acorns yet.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Remington Subsonic with a can.

Go stealth, kill'em quietly... whistle

DF

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Remington Subsonic with a can.

Go stealth, kill'em quietly... whistle

DF

[Linked Image]

Have killed my limit with a .22 mag. in under an hour while sitting in one spot way too many times to care about noise.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don't think I'd take my .22 mag squirrel hunting. Never killed one with it. I think it may be a bit much, may mess up squirrels more than necessary.

What's your experience regarding that?

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The CCI 40 gr. FMJ's are very accurate in my mag. {dime size 50 yard groups} and don't do as much damage as mini mag hp's. I like the flatter trajectory of the mag when the leaves are down. The CCI 40 gr. hp's are just as accurate but will put half dollar size holes out the far side, sometimes silver dollar sized even. They do tend to drop squirrels instantly even with chest shots though. I really don't mind the damage and think most make a big deal out of it for nothing. I don't eat squirrel ribs and never met anybody that does. They will of course wreck the front legs if you hit them but even then it's what, two teaspoons of the toughest meat on the squirrel ? Big deal, I'll still eat the hind legs and backstraps and that's the best meat anyway. I usually shoot upwards of 100 squirrels a season so don't worry too much about a ruined front leg or two here and there.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Didn’t think about FMJ. Makes sense.

Those do amazingly well on hogs. Also FMJ in the .17 HMR.

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I'm in that camp too....

Yup, there is only one proper way to wack squirrels, head shots and 40gr solids(my 10/22 likes the old Winchester Wildcat stuff). I know guys that favor a 20ga for squirrels, not a fan of picking out shot of my squirrel stew.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't think I'd take my .22 mag squirrel hunting. Never killed one with it. I think it may be a bit much, may mess up squirrels more than necessary.

What's your experience regarding that?

DF

I don't have any...

but I just spent some time working up ( down?) a load in my .222 that mimics a 22 mag, velocity wise...plan on bonking some squirrels with it.... grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

I'm in that camp too....

Yup, there is only one proper way to wack squirrels, head shots and 40gr solids(my 10/22 likes the old Winchester Wildcat stuff). I know guys that favor a 20ga for squirrels, not a fan of picking out shot of my squirrel stew.
I'll take chest shots any time and I'll kill 6 squirrels to your 3 while you're waiting to arrange a head shot. I can't count the number of squirrels I've shot that I couldn't even see their heads. Surely that number would be in the hundreds, maybe even thousands by now. I have no beef with anyone who only wants to shoot heads but you are significantly reducing the number of squirrels you'll be taking in a season by doing so and I simply have no desire to do that.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I hunt a little thicket for deer.
It's got houses around and tons of squirrels.
Shotgun would be the choice if shooting from the ground up into the trees.
I think a .22 rifle, sitting in a stand shooting ones on the ground a better idea.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
I hunt a little thicket for deer.
It's got houses around and tons of squirrels.
Shotgun would be the choice if shooting from the ground up into the trees.
I think a .22 rifle, sitting in a stand shooting ones on the ground a better idea.
Yeah, if I'm hunting in a State forest with nothing but woods for miles around it's rifle time. If in a small farm woodlot with houses in every direction it's time for a shotgun or air rifle. I do have some damn good squirrel woods on farm land and I kill alot of squirrels there with a shotgun every year. Safe use of a rifle there would be very limited as to the shots you could take.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I doubt that I've shot more than a dozen or so fox squirrels with a .22 LR since I got my first 17HM2 in 2007. If there is a perfect fit of cartridge and game, I think that the 17HM2 and tree squirrels would be the poster child.

Stalk 'em, squeak at 'em, shot 'em in the head, and hope that you remember where they fell to Earth while you're waiting for the next one to offer a shot.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ain't no sin in hunting them with a shotgun.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I doubt that I've shot more than a dozen or so fox squirrels with a .22 LR since I got my first 17HM2 in 2007. If there is a perfect fit of cartridge and game, I think that the 17HM2 and tree squirrels would be the poster child.

Stalk 'em, squeak at 'em, shot 'em in the head, and hope that you remember where they fell to Earth while you're waiting for the next one to offer a shot.

Sometimes that can be a real challenge.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Sometimes that can be a real challenge.

DF

It can indeed!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
22lr & squirrels = peas & carrots

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Early season while the leaves are thick on the trees, a .22 can be tough, at least for me.

I'm thinking about trying my 28 ga. Ithaca 37 with #6 this coming season. Light gun, not a lot of shot, full choke should blast them out of the thick stuff.

DF

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I've had squirrels barking at me while on a deer stand.

So, this is now in my pack. Good for coons, too.

And quiet doesn't hurt. A close deer may hear it, but the sound won't carry that far.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Early season while the leaves are thick on the trees, a .22 can be tough, at least for me.

I'm thinking about trying my 28 ga. Ithaca 37 with #6 this coming season. Light gun, not a lot of shot, full choke should blast them out of the thick stuff.

DF

[Linked Image]

Belgian Browning Auto Five Twenty...
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Buncha snobs.

JC Higgins 16 gauge.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Buncha snobs.

JC Higgins 16 gauge.

[Linked Image]

If your experience with bolt action shotguns is the same as mine, you really need that thick recoil pad.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

DF

[Linked Image]

Squirrel hunted with a friends Rem 1100 in 28ga last year. With #6s you'll do fine out to 30 yards or so.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
12, 16 and 20 ga. are all good. I switch back and forth between the three. .410's not so hot in tall timber. Never tried a 28.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
12, 16 and 20 ga. are all good. I switch back and forth between the three. .410's not so hot in tall timber. Never tried a 28.

28 kicks like a .410, kills like a 20.

Never owned a 16, have plenty of 20's and 12's, reload for all three.

I have three 28's, the Ithaca pictured, a 1100 and a Merkel O/U, which is more of a bird gun than a squirrel gun.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Surprises me you don't have a 16. The perfect gauge for a SXS double IMO. 12 gauge SXS looks like a blunderbuss and 20's look like a cork gun.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Surprises me you don't have a 16. The perfect gauge for a SXS double IMO. 12 gauge SXS looks like a blunderbuss and 20's look like a cork gun.

Those who like'em seem to really like'em.

Probably would have liked'em had I been exposed. Just never went there.

Reloading for 3 is better than reloading for 4... grin

DF

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No 16 gauge and have never had one. I don't even know who you are any more.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nearly every farmer that I've ever met had at least one dusty/rusty bolt action or single-shot shotgun tucked away somewhere. Those who I have known seemed to favor the break action single-shot configuration, perhaps because they could open the action and blow out the dust, spider webs, and whatever else one might find in the barrel of neglected barn guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sharps4590
Decades ago when I used a scope on a Ruger 77/22, (I assume that rifle still belongs to Jim), if I took my time I didn't shoot any old ones unless I need a fluffy fox squirrel tail to tie fly's.

Sharps my middle son moves to Kansas this weekend (Wichita area) and starts his first job out of college on Monday. In addition to his SxS and his 7-08 I am sending a 22lr along with him. It’s your M77/22. He loves bolt guns so I thought it just made sense. Well that and the fact the youngest one really likes the 2nd Marlin 39A Mounty laying around here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buncha snobs.

JC Higgins 16 gauge.

[Linked Image]

A neighbor farm kid had one of those. We stomped rabbits out of brush piles, shot quail when we could hit them, doves the same and of course squirrels. I had a single shot break action Winchester M37 Steelbuilt 20 gauge. He had his bolt action 16 gauge. I always liked the fact his shotgun was a repeater.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Buncha snobs.

JC Higgins 16 gauge.

[Linked Image]

A neighbor farm kid had one of those. We stomped rabbits out of brush piles, shot quail when we could hit them, doves the same and of course squirrels. I had a single shot break action Winchester M37 Steelbuilt 20 gauge. He had his bolt action 16 gauge. I always liked the fact his shotgun was a repeater.

Those 37 Winchesters bring a premium in good shape, a bunch more that a bolt action repeater.

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I hunt them with a .32 or .36 cal inline muzzleloader or my favorite a Beeman R-9 springer air rifle in .22 cal or one of my other .22 cal RWS or BSA air rifles..killed hundreds maybe a thousand squirrels with a .22 but enjoy air rifles and muzzleloaders more and kill just as many every outing.Also only take head/neck shots been years and years since I've body shot a squirrel.
Have killed a lot of rabbits in the snow with air rifles also.

Last edited by dbowling; 07/07/18.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dbowling
I hunt them with a .32 or .36 cal inline muzzleloader or my favorite a Beeman R-9 springer air rifle in .22 cal or one of my other .22 cal RWS or BSA air rifles..killed hundreds maybe a thousand squirrels with a .22 but enjoy air rifles and muzzleloaders more and kill just as many every outing.Also only take head/neck shots been years and years since I've body shot a squirrel.
You still ain't makin it hard enough to be really sporting. Kellory {AKA Daniel Boone JR} kills his squirrels with hex nuts out of a slingshot and kills his deer with arrows shot from a bent sapling with a bootlace.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dbowling

One of my wife's relatives has been using a .22-caliber Talon SS airgun that has a built-in air tank. He refills the airgun's tank using an old scuba tank.

Last edited by Ray; 07/15/18.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Still have my late Dad's JC Higgins Bolt in 20 gauge, has an odd safety (back for fire, forward for safe) but it's put a bunch of squirrels in the pot. More than a few doves and ducks too.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use a 22, sometimes a 12 gauge

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have had occasion to address an overabundance of squirrel around the house of late, greys. Though I noticed this some years back the CB caps are not as effective as BB caps on the little beasts. The pic below represents the body count of squill and an armadillo taken in the rain this morning. One shot per except I popped the 'dillo twice to finish off the tin. I wasn't surprised the BBs penetrated fully on squill, but they also fully penetrated the 'dillo on a broadside shot high behind the shoulder area at 30 yards.

[Linked Image]

If you ever have cause to shoot these things, CLEAN YOUR BARREL THOROUGHLY. Failure to do so will result in pitting after a short time.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Love hunting and eating squirrel! Unfortunately there ain’t schit for squirrels out here. Except ground squirrels, which are about nothing but prairie rats.

Have nothing against shotguns for squirrels but picking lead shot out, or biting down on it, kinda sucks.

Definitely will have to head east soon for a squirrel hunt!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you use a shotgun, try loads with #4 or #5 shot, as those sizes will usually pass completely through leaving no shot in the meat. I've a lightweight double that I loaded up 1 ounce and 1-1/8 ounce rounds at 1150 fps and there's been no pellets left in the meat that l could find.

I've hunted squirrels with shotguns, air rifles, and rimfire rifles; .22 lr with subsonic hollowpoints is my preference and what I mostly stick with anymore. Quiet, accurate, plenty of reach and inexpensive. Ammo is light to carry, and if you happen to be in an area with no squirrels found you can always do some "plinking" to keep from things being boring.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Love hunting and eating squirrel! Unfortunately there ain’t schit for squirrels out here. Except ground squirrels, which are about nothing but prairie rats.

Definitely will have to head east soon for a squirrel hunt!

Same here, Im headed east for a long delayed squirrel hunt. Even got my .22 out of mothballs and checked zero the other day...I forgot how good it shoots! Ruger 77/22VBBZ

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Where are you head ingwe???? I always thought early fall and late summer were a bad time for ticks..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Where are you head ingwe???? I always thought early fall and late summer were a bad time for ticks..
Lotsa ticks here in NY late summer/early fall but you can't let that stop you. You'll stll get them in Nov./Dec. during deer season too, even when there's snow on the ground.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

I'm not going till October. Missouri.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Nice!

Late October early November is usually a great time in the SE. Usually enough cool weather to knock the bugs down.

Phillip- yes sir. I’ve hit more than a few old buck squirrels with a load of 6 and they are tough SOB’s. Knock them off a branch and then they haul azz. 4 or 5 shot better medicine.

I’ve a little Stevens Favorite that keeps getting better the more I shoot it. It needs a squirrel hunt!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ingwe,

Where in MO are you going?

CK
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Ingwe,

Where in MO are you going?

I'm not exactly sure....I have a friend there thats going to be my guide.... laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No shortage of them in the places I hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a free day today and while I did not get out to hunt I did do some work in anticipation of some tree rat hunting in the near future. I have collected a few aftermarket parts for my 10/22 over the spring and summer and finally got them into the rifle. New JWH bolt, Jard trigger and a an older B&L A/O scope. Now to site it in. I already had a Green Mountain sporter barrel .

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 07/28/18.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Squirrel hunting has been my favorite past time for as long as I can remember. I usually get into the woods following the first frost in mid- to late September/early October. Ohio's season starts when it's still 90 degrees outside and green, and I just can't get into it until it gets to the point where I have to warm the cabin with a fire at night.

Though a rifleman, I must admit that I take one of the .410's out early on, especially if they are still up in the foliage. After that, I take one of the .22's. I have always had good luck shooting Remington's .22 38 grain Subsonic Hollow Point. They group well in every one of my rifles, and be it a head shot or a behind the shoulder impact, I get instantaneous death, no meat damage and very little noise. Over a decade ago, I was buying a brick from the local sporting goods store every payday, and I think I ended up with twenty or so bricks stashed away, so I figure I have a lifetime supply. I'm not sure if they are still even in production?

For several yeras, I was doing the majority of my hunting with an original 1906 Winchester Model 1892 with a 24" octagon barrel in 25-20. The bore was PRISTINE! I found it at a gun show in Ohio, mounted a Lyman Tang sight on it, and loaded a 85 grain RCBS flat nose cast from wheel weights over 2400. I think at around 1400 fps. It would put 5 shots through one ragged hole at 50 yards. It was my go-to rifle for everything short of deer, though had I the opportunity, I would have had no qualms dropping a whitetail with it. Sadly, a few years back, in a moment of financial weakness spurred on by some unfortunate life circumstances, I sold it. It was, and still is, one of my biggest regrets. Perhaps one day I will find another.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

DF

[Linked Image]

I love your Ithaca. I keep seeing ads for the 28 gauge model in my Fur, Fish, and Game magazine, and think about getting one before they quit producing them, or Ithaca goes out of business. Again. What barrel length did you order? She's beautiful, and the 28 gauge is perfect for just about everything save for turkey and waterfowl.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With the weather not being so hot, I decided to hit the woods.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Crappie_Killer; 07/30/18.

CK
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Anybody out there using a squirrel call?

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i use a varmint squaller. it moves chipmunks, bluejays, causes squirrels to change location, calls in some crows sometimes.

i have tried the little coin shaped silver squirrel whistle from time to time, with no effect that i could see. but it sounded good.

it's all done from the house. when i'm in the woods, i sit and wait. the mtn feist has done gone on, so no dog to help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody out there using a squirrel call?

Quaker Boy scolder and Haydel's distress whistle/
[Linked Image]

I have found the scolder a better locator. The distress whistle is effective in making them show themselves, plus I found it works great on bringing in coyotes.

Sometimes I just put out bait. grin

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just picked up a Primos squirrel buster...havent used one since back in the day but it used to work so good it almost wasn't fair....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by J23

DF

[Linked Image]

I love your Ithaca. I keep seeing ads for the 28 gauge model in my Fur, Fish, and Game magazine, and think about getting one before they quit producing them, or Ithaca goes out of business. Again. What barrel length did you order? She's beautiful, and the 28 gauge is perfect for just about everything save for turkey and waterfowl.

28". I like the more forward feel, think it balances and swings better.

This one has some nice wood; I was fortunate. I fitted a 1/2" pad to shorten the LOP a bit. Seems to handle faster and cuts down on the reach for the forarm.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’ve always used Faulks with the little rubber accordion on the end.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DollarShort
I’ve always used Faulks with the little rubber accordion on the end.

The one I used back in the day was an Olts...with the little accordion...this new one operates the same way..

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Man, that is one beautiful shotgun.

I have messed around with a squirrel caller, but I've never had much luck with them.

Ted Nugent

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by J23
Man, that is one beautiful shotgun.

Thanks. It is a finely built shotgun. These Ohio guns may be even better built, more precisely machined than the original Ithaca, NY guns. For sure, a heap better than the various rebirths of the Ithaca company, the last before Ohio, King Ferry.

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Rimfirecentral has a big squirrel hunt in Southern Illinois every year, they've been doing it a long while. I haven't gone to it, but it kinda sounds fun. Here's a link, it looks like anyone who wants to go, is invited. I'd rather hunt the woodlots in Northcentral Missouri (Chariton County), where there's a good mix of fox and grey squirrels, and a heckuva lot of them (limit 10 per day, possession limit of 20). I grew up hunting those squirrels and those woods. It gave me a good start towards deer hunting the same brush and timber.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1056218

The Ill-annoy hunt looks like fun, but so are/were our family hunts in Chariton County, and we slept in our own beds, not in tents!!

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it does get down in the 60s for the lows next weekend I may try to get out one morning and kill a small mess unless dad finds the walleyes biting this week at which point I may fish instead, never know!!

May have him drop me out to kill 2-3 squirrels then get back on the boat for eyes or crappie!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Squirrels were hitting the sunflower a couple of weekends ago, I noticed they have moved to the hickory trees and are really starting to heat up. I just wish it wasn't so hot and dry. Chance of rain tomorrow. If it does, I feel a vacation day coming on.

CK
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flat ass raining here in Cass county today.

Messaged my dad this morning but haven't heard from him. He is down at Truman drowning minnows if it isn't raining.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
As much as I love my rifles most of the squirrel hunting I have access to is better suited to shotguns. I like full choke 20 gauges and #4 shot but 6's work pretty good also. I have gotten to the point where I shoot at the squirrels head with the edge of the pattern if it is within 25 yards and #4 shot does go through most of the time. My model 17 Remington needs a butt stock and hopefully that will be taken care of by September and it will have cooled a bit by then.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I've got to agree...unless your hunting flying squirrels....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They do however taste just as good taken with either weapon!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

I've got to agree...unless your hunting flying squirrels....

What's wrong with having both?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (7mm_Loco, 35, Allen Martin, 300_savage, batch, 9 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,481
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.