Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Can anyone give me an opinion on these two SXS shotguns? The CZ is much less expensinve, but is it a low quality gun, and is the Weatherby really better or is it just the Weatherby name? I like the looks of both but I want a good shotgun if I'm gont to put out the $$.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have shot the Weatherby and checked out the CZ The CZ is made in Turkey, nice Walnut stock, well made fit and finish.

The Weatherby is Italian made, great fit and finish.

The fit is the key, length of pull and line of sight across the barrel that should weigh heavy in your choice.

I tried the Beretta SxS, the grip was not as comfortable as the Weatherby smile

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd take a $200 shotgun that fits PERFECTLY over a $5000 gun that don't...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ATHAN-

My opinion is based on just a cursory look at these guns so will just be a general comment. You're right about the CZs; the quality is commensuate with the price.

My impression of the Wby based on just handling two is they're too heavy for my tastes.

You didn't mention price but if you don't mind going a bit higher, the AyA 4/53 (about 3k) is a very nice gun and the Beretta 471 Siver Hawk at ~ the same price is too.

I would stay away from the first gen. Marlin L.C. Smiths priced a little above the CZs because quality is only a little above the CZs also and there is no barrel selector on the SxSs..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Between the two, I'd take the Weatherby

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the ringneck. it is a great buy. it is not in the same league as the $2500 gus but it is a great buy at $7-800. the little things like chokes and ejectors vs extractor. actually the extractors I have learend to be happy with. the choke tubes are deffinetly second class compared to my red labels.

I have a few hundred rounds through it and no complaints, the tubes are aligned VERY well, decent wood, no misfires, cleans easy.....blah blah good buy, just not a "high end" gun, but it looks it from 15 feet away.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I too have a "pheasant" model CZ, and I like it well enough.
I especially like the side clips, and I've learned to endure
the extractors. At the skeet range, however, I learned, to my
displeasure, that the light "skeet club loads" (7/8 oz) have
insufficient "ooomph" to cause the recoil-based trigger to re-set
itself. My CZ will not fire the 2nd barrel unless I use heavy
field loads, w/high brass, and high velocity.

I betcha the Weatherby won't have that problem.

If I had the choice, I'd definitely take the Weatherby.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You are correct, I shoot the Winchester AA low recoil loads in my Weatherby for International, Sporting Clays, and Trap, no second shot issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not had any problems with lites in my gun....either gun for that matter

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
if i may, let me chime in. i have the cz ringneck that i bought last year based on my gun dealer's recommendation. i had never heard of CZUSA before this. I was looking for a side by side shotgun to take pheasant hunting in Kansas. I figured I would go the used route and buy an "affordable" Fox Sterlingworth, LC Smith, or Parker Bros., but figured i would see what new was available. after seeing the picture in the catalog and assurance from my dealer they were up to snuff, i ordered one. after one year and several thousand rounds, all i can say is "wow!". the fit and finish on these guns were every bit the equal of guns in the 1500-2000 price range i looked at. gun has never had a function issue and the barrels are well regulated. i have used this gun to shoot sporting clays twice a month since i have had it and have never had problems. in fact, many people shooting guns twice as expensive have wanted to borrow it to shoot different stages. one poster mentioned that the trigger didn't reset when firing low brass loads. i have used the following loads with zero problems with the trigger: winchester AA light handicap, handicap, sporting clays, Remington Sts, nitro 27 sporting clays, and nitro pheasant loads. out of all these, only the nitro pheasant load is high brass. granted a few are pretty stout target loads, but still they are low brass. only problem i have had was my own doing. you have to make sure you allow the trigger to fully reset forward before attempting to pull the trigger again. with spring, summer, fall shooting this is not a problem. it tried to shoot the gun with heavy gloves this winter and the gloves were too thick for the trigger guard and the trigger would not reset. switched to a leather shooting gloves and no problems after. wood on my gun is nice, although i will admit the weatherby's are usually glossier and have a nice figure to the wood. on a field gun, which these are, i don't see the need. i think you would definetly be better served with the cz guns. in fact, i am convinced that CZ as a whole is one of the gun manufacturers at the forefront of the industry and produce superior products then some of the mainstays we have known. this is coming from a lifelong remington lover.

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ohiohunter
Well stated on the CZ fit/finish. I am sold on the CZ product line, not questions, their rifles are outstanding, the smooth bores would be just as fine products! Glad to hear your field testing!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No question CZ has a good name, have a 452 .22lr that is a one hole shooter with cheapy ammo. Aren't their shotguns made my Huglu though? That doesn't mean anything to me, just thought I'd read that.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I read that also, Huglu is the manu.

Some of the stocks are really nice. Like anything, always good if you can check over a few before the purchase. Just looked at one this weekend at a show.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I own a CZ Bobwhite .410 and like it. It has an English stock and 2 triggers and I like 2 triggers. I have had no problems with the gun.

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Huglu is the Turkish manufacturer. I bought my wife a bobwhite in 20ga on sale for $598. I am very much impressed by what you get for the money. I also like the fact that their 20ga is built on a smaller fram than the 12, which makes it perfect for the wife.

Another thumbs up for CZ. I currently own two 452s and two 527 as well. CZ is turning out some very fine guns for a very reasonable price.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes, CZ does make a quality product. With history from the BRNO line, they leverage a lot of experience. The US market has presented a challenge to them modifying the European styling to meet US buyers.

I keep eyeing the Ringneck 20g, looked at one this weekend. Could not open it for detailed review (at a gunshow), the stock was just OK on this particular one, but the fit and finish was well done.

The retail prices are starting to creep up on the CZ line. I have a couple of 452's .22 that were the best value out there when I bought them last year. The 452 FS .22 is one of the most accurate .22's, great looking stock.

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Dollar vs the Euro is driving up the cost of Euopean made guns, unfortunately. It doesn't look to be getting any better in the near future either.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
B
B
Some shotguns vary between the gauges as to how they are cocked,
The smaller gauges may not be recoil cocked , I guess it depends on the maker,some are cocked on opening.

Barnbarron

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
will agree with mikem2, wood finish is hit or miss. if possible ask to see several of the ringnecks. i had to order mine because they were selling faster than gun dealer could keep them in stock. another testament to their quality. i will say that i have looked at not only the shotguns but the rifles and wood ranges from plain but decent to downright gorgeous. have seem some that are aaa grade easy. and that isn't even their premium wood. again, if it is a hunting rifle you need. who cares? i got a decent wood, but a fantastic firearm that should last as long or longer than me.

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I checked out the CZ site, the Ringneck in 20g does not have automatic ejectors. For some that is a pro other a con.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
don't know about the 20 gauge, but my ringneck 12 has extractors. i can't understand the wanting of ejectors? i never just litter the ground with empties in the field. much easier to pluck them out them search for them in the bushes.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My son's .410 doesn't have extractors, an afternoon of dove hunting makes them a little hard to remove. I tend to catch mine when I open my Weatherby and drop the hulls in my pocket.

Have not had the opportunity to try a 12g SxS w/o ejectors.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the post guys.
This has been very helpful to me. I have just stumbled on this line of shotguns and put one on hold as a matter of fact at the local sporting goods store until I could come check with the campfire about quality. My friend at the store said they were called last week by CZ and thanked for selling their product but to begin expecting delays as the Mfg can not keep up with the demand for them.
For $680.00 for a Bobwhite SxS in 20ga that feels balanced and not blocky (read Stoeger/Remington/Charles Daly...blah,blah,blah)
I can not see a down side to it.
MCS

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have been contemplating a 20ga SxS and was leaning toward the Dehaan. An S2 for $889 looks like a good gun for the money. DeHaan page

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (264mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,058
Posts18,521,375
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.