-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I see a 'smoked fish farmin' video in the future!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Perhaps some "foder" grin

hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by sharp_things
good smoking size. a few miles out. This would fill a few easy bake ovens.

[Linked Image]

By the looks of you these days, this was atleast 15-20 years ago! Lmao

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigwoods
good smoking size. a few miles out. This would fill a few easy bake ovens.

[Linked Image]

By the looks of you these days, this was atleast 15-20 years ago! Lmao

Regardless of age he always looks like a dick with ears to me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You are hooked on the human penis. Seems odd to me but if thats your thing, enjoy.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

When he starts off with brilliances like "good smoking size" you have to wonder what a "bad" smoking size would be...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not really but I do know a dick head when I see one.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

When he starts off with brilliances like "good smoking size" you have to wonder what a "bad" smoking size would be...

Actually was referring to big Jim's series of ".... farmin" videos. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Actually was referring to big Jim's series of ".... farmin" videos. wink

Oh, missed them.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
sharp,

Gettin' pretty testy there, eh? All over your favorite (?) condiment. whistle wink

Not to worry, I'd probably eat the MW if I needed to make a tuna sammich and there was no mayo in the fridge.

Now, back on topic:

Your smoked fish instructions were quite definitive. I hope the OP tries them and gets back to us to let us know how it went.

If we should ever meet, I'd try your version for sure.!

Geno

Actually Geno, it's a less-than-ideal brine and pics of overcooked, baked fish sticks.

IB,

I love smoked fish...............especially if it's free. And I did say I'd try it, but not how many times. That would depend on taste more so than texture, which does enter into the equation tho.

I cannot agree more with you about the choice of wood for salmon. If available, alder is the only one, therefor no choice at all. wink

As to the wonders of smoking in a Little Chief, Big Chief, Youngster Chief, Wooden box, and so on, I'll use what's available. When I was a poor starving student in NorCal my landlady had an old dead refrigerator out back. I took a look at it one day and found out it was just a shell. An ex boyfriend had gutted it down to the sheet metal, fitted it with some racks, and turned it into quite the passable smoker. It held a bunch, that's for sure. And it operated on the principle of an old Weber or some such kettle in the bottom into which a good dose of alder chunks was burned to coals, the racks filled, more soaked alder chunks added to smolder, the door shut, and then good scheidt would come out.

When I moved up the hill after graduating and finding my woman, the landlady was nice enough to let me take the smoker. Wal-Mart and Winco would have turkey wars around the holidays, like the old gas wars. Prices would drop, sometimes daily, as a loss leader. One season they got down to $0.12 cents a lb!! A starving student/new graduate with loans to pay back, can buy a good bit of turkey at that price..............I did! Whole smoked turkeys were a mainstay during the holidays, the carcasses turned into soup of course.

I did a bunch of albacore while there also, as it was cheap buying it directly from the guys at the docks, no middlemen of course. One batch was deemed so good, it went with me to a Thanksgiving dinner pot luck..........................there was turkey left over but no albacore and folks were asking where they could get more. cool

A few salmonid types were done on that thing also. Perhaps some of the tastiest fish were herring from a class collecting trip. When I asked the professor (My advisor) for some to take home, he asked what for. When I told him I loved kippers but had never smoked herring for myself he said grab a bucket and bring me back some! As an aside, my advisor called me the "optimal forager" as I was seen on multiple occasions gathering mussels and barnacles from the rocks below the marine lab, along with other goodies anywhere I could. Free food is manna from heaven for starving students.

Brine? Simple is best, and the one I posted earlier is as simple as I can get it. A short soak in some salty water works for me. I have nothing against the sweeteners or the soy types, but I like my fish the way the Natives did it for thousands of years, alder smoked and not much more.

I will admit, you Alaskan fellas know your fish for sure. I had many wonderful meals from the locals when I worked in SE for a year or so. And my little Jr Weber worked in a pinch too.

I like smoked fish, especially salmon, so much I've tried it everywhere I've seen it. I certainly would try sharpies stuff, preferably pre-Miracle Whip, and you guys' too. Hell, I even tried ciscos from a little place in Dunkirk NY and would love to have some again.

I've said it before on the 'fire.....My favorite fish??.....................the one that's on my plate.

Please forgive me for my lack of discriminating tastes when it comes to smoked fish. grin

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
you have to wonder what a "bad" smoking size would be...

Small ones, (those are cooked and eaten as the slabs are too thin and yo end up with crispy chips like iron benders mistake)

Really huge ones (those are canned) and we make salmon patties, etc. with those.

This isnt that hard folks. When you have access to a lot of salmon, you use them in lots of ways. Just smoking them is akin to doing it wrong when there are so many way to enjoy salmon. wink

Last edited by sharp_things; 07/26/18.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jackmountain
[Linked Image]

It left out clueless... otherwise it is perfect.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Its cute when you try so hard. Like when a little kid says “hostible” and “pasgetti” wink

Now it might sound like I am mocking you and being dismissive of your opinion and patting you on your head. That’s because I am since I hold no regard for it. (aside from the entertainment value I find in it) wink

I will continue to allow you to entertain me. Dont disappoint me.

Last edited by sharp_things; 07/26/18.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its cute when you try so hard. Like when a little kid says “hostible” and “pasgetti” wink

Now it might sound like I am mocking you and being dismissive of your opinion and patting you on your head. That’s because I am since I hold no regard for it. (aside from the entertainment value I find in it) wink

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No need to apologize geno. You’re one of the good guys.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Any of you fellas ever smoke clams?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
No but Id like to smoke some razors. You ever smoke any?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FishinHank

[Linked Image]

Damn! That's funny!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
And spot on!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (16gage, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,637
Posts18,512,140
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.