Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
YEp, I totally agree. I'm far from the caliber of Boyd Heaton, but the 223 was even toast for XC till bullets came along. My wife started with an AR for a few months, shot on the worst wind range I've been on for major switches, shot a few misses, cried a bit, was given an M14 the next day and never looked back. And she's only about 4/10 and 115 wet these days so she'd shoot 2-3 and crawl back to the front of the mat. When the bullets took off we both went back to the AR and I'll whip any M14 out there with mine and the right load these days..

Same goes for many other rounds.

And yep on recoil.... I"ve shot just enough 308s with hot rounds and heavy bullets at palma matches to know that even the 308 irritates me after getting face slapped about 50 times in a row or so....

AS to hunting, it doesn't bother me cause its only a few shots, but competition, I stay as light as I can. The 50 doesn't kick at all, but it takes attention to disregard the dang blast everytime. I even tense up after a few rounds. And I know better, have to talk myself out of it....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
I don't think anyone is gonna argue the accuracy standpoint vs the 50. Especially only to 1000 yards. Most of my 223 AR15s will hold 2-3 inch 5 shot groups at 600 yards off the bench. Have had a few that would run groups of between 1.25 and 2.0 inches consistently.

Now the human silhouette size is fairly close to a 55 gallon drum, and as mentioned that one is easy out past a mile with the 50 and would be interesting with something less.

Just depends on what the desire is here. Like I said, I did it just because, not because I wanted it for the best accuracy. And I've shot the 22-250 off the 1000 yard line enough to know its a fair competitor, just not into it or the 6mms or anything under 6.5 or 7mm caliber for a LR hunting round.

We are on the same page, hoping Whelen understands.

Jeff

There knocking down 11"x16" steel plates at over one mile with 300WM and 300 RUM. 50 cals aren't doing so well. There are very few in the OMC (one mile club).

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
11x16 plate at a mile would be a fairly easy target once aquired and dialed in, at least from the times I've shot barrels at over a mile with a barret. Once there most of the 3 shot groups would fall into a plate that size.

Though I don't think the 50 is the best too for the accuracy portion of it.

I do wonder where the 30 cal rounds go subsonic and how they deal with that issue. Shooting 1000 yard matches if your 30 cal or even 224 cal went subsonic before 1000 the accuracy really got squirly. From what I recall( I have not shot anything but out to 1000 and then at a mile or more) they come stable again after passing through the transonic zone at some point. I"m suspecting thats what allows the accuracy to be there again. 7wsm was doing pretty well at 1 mile a few years back too.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check it out One mile club of Wyomming. Sponsored by
D&L sports.com. They use a basic Remmington 700 (rail)with a 40X or Nesika Bay action single shot. They use a left handed bolt for right hand shooter so you can keep your finger on trigger while loading with left hand . Very ingenious set up and rapid fire.

S
SHW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
What we need to do is find enought people that want a AR-30 in 300 ultra & place a order. They want a 100 units sold to start producton--we only need 99 more.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tell the Newfoundland Canadian sniper that shot an enemy raghead sniper with a modified AR-50 at 2430m that. It is a world record and he an his spotter are receiving bronze stars. They don't hand them out to foreigners very often. The barrel was replaced with a match grade extra long Lilja special order item far better than what the US snipers are presently using.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd want one of them AR-30 if they allowed them in Canada.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
AR30 is a bolt gun. Thats not allowed in Canada?

Also don't overbet on what tubes US snipers are using. They are not all factory barret tubes. thats for sure. Some snipers get better gear than others just depending on the task at hand.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The AR-30 is a bolt of course but it has a high capacity magazine so not allowed. By the letter of the law even the old 303 enfield is illegal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always thought the AR-30 and AR-50 were manufactured by Armalite not Barrett. Am I wrong?

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That team walked four consectutive shots before they made the first kill!
Then they had the range and destroyed the 82mm tube with the next shot and then they shot a pile of nine 82mm HE rounds!
The infantry that was getting hit by those 82mm's will by God be in debt to that team till their last breath!
SALUTE!
Mike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah I read the story also and was pretty impressed with the newfie team and the performance of the big 50 cal. I was also skeptical on its precision at long range but now they are improving it and better ammo available. Makes me proud of the boys from the east. I wish I was 35 years younger I'd want to take a trip over there and learn a few things from these young lads.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I wasn't thinking about the mag as my ar50 is single shot....

Yes they are made by Aramlite, Our troops shoot a lot of Barret rifles. But also custom 50s.... with other than factory tubes and pinpoint accurate ammo.

Jeff

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Have you guys seen the new Barret 416/50BMG?
It looks like a dandy! I watched a sniper on TV shoot a 2x2foot plate at 1 1/2 miles.
It was developed to get around the 50 caliber ban in California.
It sounds like it could be even deadlier because of the high velocity? I would think recoil would be down some and bullets should be easier to find to.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ive been hearing about it but can't find a program. We don't get the Milt channel.... CLose to 408 Chey Tac?

Smith did tell me buy the AR50, its a solid platform and can handle a new barrel in a better improved caliber later if desired....

Jeff

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Jeff,
The show was called Future Weapons. It might be on Barret website? I wonder who makes a .416 match bullet?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd suspect Wildcat might be a good starting place.

Future weapons-- should be on discovery, but I can't find it, yet it gets listed on the Milt channel. And I'm about maxed out at 50 bucks a month for satellite...can't afford more channels...

Jeff

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Jeff,
Another hot round is the 338 Talbot. It is the 50 BMG necked to 338. grin It is 850 fps faster than the 340 Weatherby with 250 gr bullets. This would make a good candidate for the 300 gr Sierra MatchKing I think. Barrel Life? WTH
If my brother in law owned Douglas barrels I might be interested in this one.
whelennut

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't need to be snooping crud like taht.... I'm just glad the "gun" is in the safe. Can always play later.... Dang I bet taht one would be flat...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (6mmbrfan, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 899 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,119
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.