Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think a lot of us are just older than the ones making the noise. I remember when I was just as dumb,as far as believing what the news told me. I think I'm old enough now to know that all the news I heard growing up was just as much a narrative of what those in power wanted me to believe, as it is now.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave
Yes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d love to live a life of blissful ignorance.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a 50/50 shot at it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
It seems to me that most people who identify themselves as "democrats" are some of the dumbest people I have ever met.

People don't like to be wrong. Particularly intelligent people. Many lieberals have impressive jobs and make lots of money. They are intelligent, but they are also stubborn, and will not admit they are wrong about things like politics, but of course, they are lethally wrong about politics. What they insist on believing and refuse to see the ugly truth of, will get lots and lots of people killed and possibly turn the entire world upside down.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think of myself as overly intelligent, my performance in life, and the crap I have done confirm my thoughts.
I am around people who struggle to understand concepts that seem simple to me.
But, people have different talents, and I sure have never mastered anything.

Co-workers have told me I don't belong there (should be doing something "more") and that I talk about things that they don't understand.
That's because my life isn't sports and my last drunk.

But then, I have sat through many meetings where information was given to a large group.
When the question period srarts, I want to pull out my hair and start screaming. Right then? Yep! Damn straight skippy! Smarter than many, if not most.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 08/03/18.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I 'm not a genius but I'm way ahead of those that have won the Darwin Award or those that voted for Hillary!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't know about that, but at 57, I'd say I have a good balance of intelligence, experience, and common sense.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don’t know about being smarter than most people, but I’ve always considered myself smarter than Steelhead.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everything i know; i learned from mary kay latourneau.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yes - and better looking.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Are you more intelligent than most people?

Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate.

I quit watching TV about 20 years ago. At that time I think the Meme was "Total Vacuum.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I was too dumb to learn guns bad, hunting bad.

I failed on learning that open borders and muzzie immigration is good for the US.

I couldnt flip fom "United we stand" to "Our strenght lies in our diversity".

Ask Nordman, Im a "LOOSER".

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If intelligence has anything to do with happiness, just remember, retards are always smiling

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
According to my ACT scores, I was more knowledgeable than 99% of those taking college placement exams in 1974 in all subjects with the exception of English Language.

I might hit the 25'th percentile of folks on this board.

Yes, I would say the contributers to this forum stand head and shoulders above the general population in regards to average intelligence. With a few notable exceptions. (liberal trolls)

At least, most here can write a coherent sentence. In my workforce, that ability is limited to less than 10 percent.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
If intelligence has anything to do with happiness, just remember, retards are always smiling

Special Needs People...Special Needs! How many times do you have to be reminded of this change in the social name tagging of those who are gifted...Damn, you’re such a retarded idiot, yet a smiling one. Grin 😁😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by FatCity67
I’d love to live a life of blissful ignorance.

It's not bad.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One issue that occurs in any population, but is especially strong on the campfire is the 'Downing Effect':

One of the main effects of illusory superiority in IQ is the "Downing effect". This describes the tendency of people with a below-average IQ to overestimate their IQ, and of people with an above-average IQ to underestimate their IQ. This tendency was first observed by C. L. Downing, who conducted the first cross-cultural studies on perceived intelligence. His studies also showed that the ability to accurately estimate other people's IQs was proportional to one's own IQ (i.e., the lower the IQ, the less capable of accurately appraising other people's IQs). People with high IQs are better overall at appraising other people's IQs, but when asked about the IQs of people with similar IQs as themselves, they are likely to rate them as having higher IQs.

The disparity between actual IQ and perceived IQ has also been noted between genders by British psychologist Adrian Furnham, in whose work there was a suggestion that, on average, men are more likely to overestimate their intelligence by 5 points, while women are more likely to underestimate their IQ by a similar margin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 700LH

I've often thought to myself, in a way, intellegence is a curse.

7 surprising downsides of being extremely intelligent
Shana Lebowitz
Aug. 24, 2015, 4:45 PM

You might assume that having a ridiculously high IQ would come with a bunch of privileges.

For example, you wouldn't have to study as hard for tests. You'd read about complicated concepts and instantly understand them. You'd be able to take on challenging but exciting jobs like rocket science.

All that may be true, but there are also significant disadvantages to being highly intelligent. To find out what's so bad about being a near-genius, we checked out the Quora thread, " When does intelligence become a curse? " and picked out the most insightful answers.

Read on and find out what really bugs super-smart people.

1. You often think instead of feel.

Quora user Marcus Geduld says he generally understands his emotions really well and can tell other people about them — but he never feels the relief of expressing them.

"This is a common problem for smart people, especially ones who are highly verbal. They use words as a smoke screen, and it's all the more effective when their words are true. Less articulate people tend to vent through physicality. They yell, punch, kick, run, scream, sob, dance, jump for joy... I explain . And when I'm done explaining, everything I've explained is still stuck inside me, only now it has a label on it."

2. You might not learn the value of hard work.

A number of Quora users mentioned that intelligent people feel like they can get by with less effort than other people. But a high IQ doesn't always lead directly to success, and highly intelligent people may never develop the perseverance required to succeed.

According to Kent Fung , "Intelligence becomes a problem when those who have it discover early in life that they don't need to work as hard to keep up, and thus never develop a good strong work ethic."

When you're highly intelligent, people assume you'll ace tests and job interviews and even solve relationship problems.

3. People frequently expect you to be a top performer.

"You are automatically expected to be the best, no matter what," writes Roshna Nazir. "You have nobody to talk to about your weaknesses and insecurities."

Another unfortunate consequence of these unrealistic expectations? You're panicked about what would happen if you didn't perform up to snuff.

"This makes you so cautious about your failure that you cannot sometimes afford to take risks just fearing that what would happen if you lose," writes Saurabh Mehta.
woman counter thinkingIntelligent people tend to overthink things.Flickr/Giuseppe Milo

4. People may get annoyed that you keep correcting them in casual conversation.

When you know that someone's just said something completely inaccurate, it's hard to stifle the urge to clarify.

But you've got to be extremely sensitive to the fact that other people may be embarrassed and offended by your actions — or risk losing some friends.

Being intelligent is a bummer, says Raxit Karramreddy, "when you correct people each and every time to a point that they stop hanging around with you or stop talking with you."

5. You tend to overthink things.

A common theme in this Quora thread was the pitfalls of spending too much time contemplating and analyzing.

For one thing, you may get maudlin when you try to find the existential significance of every concept and experience. "You realize how moribund everything is and that nothing really means anything. You search for answers and it drives you crazy," writes Akash Ladha.

From a more practical standpoint, you may find it impossible to make a choice. Writes Tirthankar Chakraborty: "An understanding of the possible ramifications of your decisions, especially the tendency to over-analyze those consequences, makes it so that the decision is never taken."

6. People often believe you're a braggart.

Sometimes people assume that when you're genuinely excited to share something you've learned, you're really just flaunting your knowledge.

It's frustrating, says Bill Vanyo, "when people say things like, 'He thinks he's so smart,' or, 'He thinks he knows everything,' when you were only trying to be helpful, and weren't 'showing off.'"

7. You understand how much you don't know.

Being super-intelligent often means appreciating the limits of your own cognition. Try as you might, you'll never be able to learn or understand everything.

Writes Mike Farkas: "Intelligence is a curse when … the more you know, the more you feel the less you know."

https://www.businessinsider.com/downsides-of-being-extremely-intelligent-2015-8

As a coda, My wife, kids and acquaintances get perturbed with me quite often, as I seem never to be able to answer a simple "yes/no" question with a "yes" or a "no".

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/03/18.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
According to my mother, before she passed, the answer is "YES"!

According to my wife of 46 years, who knows me the best, the answer is "NO"!!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 1badf350, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,215
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.