Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by Bristoe
But I don't like the idea of a link breaking and the chain popping me in the back of the head

Hang a heavy coat or the like on your chain when under load !

Same applies when using strap or cable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Who in the hell thinks a 3/8ths chain is "heavy"??

Nice light working size chain.

Us 'old farts'!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Yep, if you need a 3/8" chain, you need a bigger tractor.

I have pulled a lot of things with a K5 4x4 Blazer or Dodge W250 that I could not budge with the 8N.

On the other hand, you will never damage a 3/8" chain with anything less than a semi tractor. Glad you are getting some good use out of the little tractor, and enjoying it. That is what they were built for.

Grandad took 80 acres out of sagebrush and converted it into an irrigated dairy farm in the late 40s he had one 8N with a loader and back blade permanently attached to clean cow pens. He had two more 8Ns which were used for plowing, discing, planting, corrugating, mowing, raking, baling, and hauling hay. The 8N does not have enough power to run a baler off the PTO, but a two cylinder Wisconsin on the baler covers the power issue, at least on the little balers we were using up through the early '80s..

those three little Fords served Grandad well as his only farm tractors up through the mid '80s when he gave up farming at age 80 plus.

I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop ever since I bought it. But it's been running like a champ. It's got some little things to be done to it. The valve cover gaskets are dribbling oil. I suspect it's got those old cork gaskets. I'm going to replace them with some rubber gaskets. It wouldn't be much of a job but you have to take the manifold off to get to them.

Everything is real tight on it. The clutch will cause the tires to dig a hole in the ground and the brakes will lock the wheels up in gravel,....front end is tight and straight,..hardly any play in the steering.

That big ugly ass bush has been pulled and drug back to the brush pile. I'll take the chain saw back there later and cut it up into fire pit size pieces.

There's going to be a lot of clean up fires this fall.

You reckon yer tractor will pull about a 10’ steel post. You might like running that over yer gravel drive fer smoothing it out.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Yep, if you need a 3/8" chain, you need a bigger tractor.

I have pulled a lot of things with a K5 4x4 Blazer or Dodge W250 that I could not budge with the 8N.

On the other hand, you will never damage a 3/8" chain with anything less than a semi tractor. Glad you are getting some good use out of the little tractor, and enjoying it. That is what they were built for.

Grandad took 80 acres out of sagebrush and converted it into an irrigated dairy farm in the late 40s he had one 8N with a loader and back blade permanently attached to clean cow pens. He had two more 8Ns which were used for plowing, discing, planting, corrugating, mowing, raking, baling, and hauling hay. The 8N does not have enough power to run a baler off the PTO, but a two cylinder Wisconsin on the baler covers the power issue, at least on the little balers we were using up through the early '80s..

those three little Fords served Grandad well as his only farm tractors up through the mid '80s when he gave up farming at age 80 plus.

I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop ever since I bought it. But it's been running like a champ. It's got some little things to be done to it. The valve cover gaskets are dribbling oil. I suspect it's got those old cork gaskets. I'm going to replace them with some rubber gaskets. It wouldn't be much of a job but you have to take the manifold off to get to them.

Everything is real tight on it. The clutch will cause the tires to dig a hole in the ground and the brakes will lock the wheels up in gravel,....front end is tight and straight,..hardly any play in the steering.

That big ugly ass bush has been pulled and drug back to the brush pile. I'll take the chain saw back there later and cut it up into fire pit size pieces.

There's going to be a lot of clean up fires this fall.

You reckon yer tractor will pull about a 10’ steel post. You might like running that over yer gravel drive fer smoothing it out.

I bought a grader blade at an estate auction for $85 a few days ago. I've got the driveway in pretty good shape.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Who in the hell thinks a 3/8ths chain is "heavy"??

Nice light working size chain.

Us 'old farts'!

Okay! You got me there.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
lol,...20' of it gets to be a little bit of a burden. I looped it over my shoulder a few times to carry it from the store. I was glad to take it off.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Looks like my thread about a chain failed to set off the typical Saturday night pissin' match,..and I feel a bit guilty about it. I was too tired from crawling on the ground hooking chains to bushes to give the thread the attention it should deserve,...especially on Saturday Night.

So allow me to make an attempt to remedy that,....

*ahem*,........* cough-cough*

"ANYBODY WHO WOULD USE A 1/4" CHAIN TO PULL A BUSH WOULD SUCK A DICK!!"

okay,........next.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lol

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak
Be careful not to flip that tractor over backwards.

A kid I went to HS with was killed a month after graduation from pulling with and flipping a Ford 8N.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did ya cut the roots around the bush ?

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Schit...you are getting old.

Scroll up a bit. I tried that already.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
3/8" is pretty much the standard for pulling chit with a tractor, within reason of course.

I like 5/16" for pickup type use, a little lighter which is nice if you're wallowing around in a mudhole or snowbank. You're gonna spin out before it ever breaks. Dry ground and the rules change!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ya think that chain is hard to pull, try pushin' it!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like my thread about a chain failed to set off the typical Saturday night pissin' match,..and I feel a bit guilty about it. I was too tired from crawling on the ground hooking chains to bushes to give the thread the attention it should deserve,...especially on Saturday Night.

So allow me to make an attempt to remedy that,....

*ahem*,........* cough-cough*

"ANYBODY WHO WOULD USE A 1/4" CHAIN TO PULL A BUSH WOULD SUCK A DICK!!"

okay,........next.

I Reckon Jeff Obama has about 1200 feet of it........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

Hell no.

I don't know what kind of bush it is,...some kind of ornamental thing that was planted about 40 years ago and allowed to go wild. It had about 100 separate stalks pokin' up out of the ground. I just experimented until I found out how many the little tractor would yank up out of the ground,..then went about it like that.

Besides,....I don't want to leave the roots in the ground. Once I get that area cleared out I'm gonna till it up and have a garden there next year.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

The 8N does not have enough power to run a baler off the PTO,

What kind of baler?

Here's a guy running a little square baler off of an old Massie Harris 33 that he's powered with a 13 HP lawnmower motor with a centrifugal clutch. It starts at the 2:40 mark.

John Deere 236, New Holland 66, International 46, Massy Ferguson 12, You can pull em on flat ground with 35 HP, but it's tough to run the baler and pull it up a decent hill at the same time with less than 45 HP.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Windfall
People make the mistake of pulling sideways instead of up on brush. An old landscaper trick is to get a car or truck tire rim, place it next to the base of the bush and put the chain over the rim to pull up. Otherwise you are pulling against the ground with no leverage.

That is a trick I've used before but a large log works better with less friction.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kellory
People make the mistake of pulling sideways instead of up on brush. An old landscaper trick is to get a car or truck tire rim, place it next to the base of the bush and put the chain over the rim to pull up. Otherwise you are pulling against the ground with no leverage.

That is a trick I've used before but a large dog works better with less friction.

That’s animal cruelty.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by kellory

That is a trick I've used before but a large dog works better with less friction.

That’s animal cruelty.

Cute, but no cigar. I said LOG.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

They say Nair get the roots too. 👀

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,585
Posts18,511,067
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.