GB1

J
jds44 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JGray

Very nice - the Dreamcatcher has been a bucket list bow for me for years and 50# @ 28" is perfect. My Dad just gifted me his vintage Howatt Hunter and I'm looking forward to spending some time with it.

How do you like your Hunter? I was actively looking for a used Hunter to buy when I stumbled across my Dreamcatcher.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've owned several 1980's vintage Hunters and shot them quite a bit back then. I always thought they were about the best production recurve out there and better than a lot of customs. My Dad's was purchased in 1980 but I haven't shot it much yet. These Hunters have Bubinga risers vs. the laminated risers used on the newer versions. Back in those days, I always wanted a Super Diablo and I understand the Dreamcatcher is essentially an updated version of the old Super Diablo.

Oh - was going to add, if my Dad's Hunter didn't have some sentimental value to me, I'd offer to trade you for your Dreamcatcher (since you were actually looking for a Hunter grin )

Last edited by JGray; 08/17/18.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I've tried to like the Hunter. Had two of them, grip too funky for me. They were 80's era orangish rigs w black glass. Good looking.
Much prefer Super Diablo (had one in the 80's, Rosewood model from yrs before).
Nice bow, stunning looks, grip however big and would need modified.

Passed on a Zebra and even newer dark wood model Super D's...........because they were mint and for me to run one I'd have to grind on it.
I have grown to like 58" bows so that's saved a few classics from Dremel LOL

Bud had a Mamba.

IMHO Dreamcatcher or Super D the way to go.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Of course the above post was about buying a bow.
Does not take into account any sentimental/historic family value.
Obviously, if a family member passes along a rig.........RUN IT! smile
I'm off to gunshop to see if coworker (died)........his widow put a couple rifles for sale.
Don't need one, not in chamberings I want.............but if the old #1B in .22-250 is there.......I might be 800 bucks lighter in an hr.
Not a good friend, just a coworker, good guy..........a rifleman.
Kinda neat to hunt with one of his old rigs.
Looking down, I'm sure he'd smile on my blasting a chuck w his rifle.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Found a way to mod the K tech 3 to work on different D&T limb bolt.
Will mount on lower for better balance, the reg bushing for stab is too close to hand IMHO.
Look..........a spike with no corn or rifle
Limb bolts on the old HS (purchased from Mark Land- good guy)......needed no mod.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by hookeye; 08/17/18.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'd like a Groves without BH cutout (hey often crack there).
Maybe a newer take down.
A short Flame Hunter would be cool.
Grips huge, would have to rework.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Picked up a factory camo Kodiak from orig owner. Pretty clean.
Was stoked.............ended up being proly the worst recurve I ever shot.
Horrible shock, no matter what tune.
Made my Grizzlies seem custom.
Limb resonance the only issues I had with those, good shooters but not exactly fast.

Still have an itch for a Mag Riser TD.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
For the $, a Hoyt Dorado w Tradtech limbs is hard to beat IMHO
Just sucks they didn't do it on a 17" riser.
Liked mine quite a bit. Dumped it only because a Blackwidow HS came along.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
My Dad and I started bowhunting together in 1979 - me with a compound and him with a Bear Grizzly. I started shooting his Grizzly the next year and we both decided we didn't like it so we both bought Howatt Hunters and hunted together with them for a few years before I got too busy with college, marriage and life in general. We haven't really hunted together since, he's never killed anything with a bow and doesn't hunt any more, so I'm on a mission to get his old Hunter bloody while he's still around. That's the sentimental part...

I found a used Purpleheart Super D back in the 1980's I wanted to buy but there was a crack in the glass that was of concern to me. I've always liked the grips on the Howatt recurves but they did vary in size and shape quite a bit from bow to bow. I'm shooting a Dryad ILF riser with Trad Tech Carbon Extreme limbs now and the grip is much smaller through the throat than anything I've ever shot and am liking it a lot. I'll be thinning down the grips on any future bows that I make...

Last edited by JGray; 08/17/18.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
This my 60#, sold it and got a 55#, same model/quiver/stabilizer

[Linked Image]

I don’t know anything about bow, trad or wheels...But, if I ever decided to get after it. Yours would be what I’d want...Even a rifle only hunter can appreciate a beautiful set-up. Shart Azz...Fuuck You! 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll be taking one of 2 Silvertips to the woods this year. I have 4 with draw weights range from 63 to 74 but need to work into the heavier ones again after some medical issues this year. Arrows are carbon express heritage 350s with various weight inserts and lengths depending on bow. All shooting 175gr Woodsman or Razorcaps. May try DRT HD this year.

shameless plug - I have a bunch of nocks for sale in classifieds.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by hookeye
This my 60#, sold it and got a 55#, same model/quiver/stabilizer

[Linked Image]

I don’t know anything about bow, trad or wheels...But, if I ever decided to get after it. Yours would be what I’d want...Even a rifle only hunter can appreciate a beautiful set-up. Shart Azz...Fuuck You! 😎

Thanks. Yeah I too like the lines of the old HS model (no longer made). Did fill the quiver holes eventually on the one in the pic. That one had the bumpy "spider web" epoxy finish.
I actually like that. Bow was made in 83. It had a bolt and pin per limb.

The one I have now is from '75.........and has a bolt and collar.........so two points that can be tightened per limb. I think it better. But the collar does stand up, not as clean a look.
Might blow the $ and send it in the Blackwidow for a repaint, let them put the spider logo and specs on lower limb.
Won't make it shoot any better though ')

The grip is of higher wrist, and I like it. But being a metal riser..........sucks ass late season.
Any insulating wrap would change dims and I like the grip "as is".

Bow just has a cool shape riser in profile too. Balance is kinda crappy though, hence the K tech stabilizer (S coil module heavier than other weights).

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I still have this one, a HF1225 from '72 (started production of metal risers in '71)

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
After blowing out my bicep tendon at the end of May I thought my bowhunting was done for 2018. Luckily I was wrong. I won't be shooting my original 'Tip, but I found a Wing Hawk @ about 42# at my draw. Spend $60 on it at a trade blanket. I've been shooting it really well and have no doubt I'll kill one with my same old cedar shafts and Bear greenies that have worked for longer than I've been alive.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
This is another thread I read and caused me to head out to the shop for a little testing and weighing, my longbow is a 66" Toelke Montana Whip, 54 lbs at 28"s, I draw 31"s and best I remember it's around 58 or 60 lbs on the bowshop scale, arrow weight with practice tip is exactly 540 grains, I chronoed three this morning for, 170, 171, and 175 fps, shoulder felt really well after 10 months of slow healing a rotator cuff tear, bow is extremely quite and dead in the hand at the shot.

I refreshed my memory at the Toelke website and set my brace height at 7.75"s before the chronographing.

I shoot three under with a finger glove and aim down the shaft, I need to be in a really thick spot on the ground with a good face wind to make another kill, never shot my longbow from a tree.

Trump Won!
J
jds44 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice setups everyone! We've got a special 3 day "velvet" hunt this year that runs this Friday-Sunday, a full month before the regular archery season opens in late September. It'll be hot and the woods will be eat up with ticks and chiggers, but I'm looking forward to getting my Dreamcatcher in the woods nonetheless.

J
jds44 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
my longbow is a 66" Toelke Montana Whip, 54 lbs at 28"s, I draw 31"s and best I remember it's around 58 or 60 lbs on the bowshop scale

Don't quote me, but I think the general guideline is something like 3 pounds per inch over 28''. If that's true, you may be all the way up to 63 lbs with your draw length.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I was always told that a smooth drawing bow shouldn't gain more than 3 lbs per inch of draw up to the draw length it was designed to shoot at with 28" being the standard for production bows. When drawing beyond 28", at some point the bow will start to "stack" whereas that 3 lbs per inch is going to increase to say, 4, 5 or more lbs per inch of draw. The 60" hybrid longbows I make gain 2.5 - 3 lbs per inch up to 28" - 29" before it stacks. I also make a 64" version that draws smooth at 2.5 - 3 lbs per inch to 30" - 31".

With Gunner's bow drawing 54 @ 28, I would've predicted at least 63 lbs at his 31" draw...

Last edited by JGray; 08/23/18.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for all the info jds44 and JGray, as far as longbows go, is 540 grains at 173 fps a pretty good power level? I shoot the 160 gr STOS broadhead, just wondering if I'd have enough penetration for a tough pig at an odd angle should one wonder by.

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,191
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.