Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think you'd be fine with that set up - the 160 STOS has a good reputation for penetration. I'm currently shooting arrows in the 500 grain range in bows drawing 52 - 56 lbs and getting chrono numbers in the mid-180's to low 190's fps. I've taken deer and javelina with set ups similar to yours and though I've never taken an elk with this gear, that is my main pursuit and feel it's adequate for that. A buddy of mine cleanly took a nice 5x5 bull a few years back with one of my bows and Zwickey tipped Spruce arrows I made for him. Adequate arrow weight and a good broadhead are far more important than speed with this type of gear.

Last edited by JGray; 08/23/18.
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Great to hear JGray, I just got off the phone with Dan Toelke, gave him the specs on my bow as far a draw length, suspected poundage etc, he recommended the 350 Vintage arrows from Black Eagle archery cut at 33"s for my set up, I'll call and order a dozen tomorrow, he said the old STOS 160 was indeed a good head, I ask because they are no longer being made and he recommended the 150 gr 2 blade Magnus Stingers, I'll give those a good looking over too for future reference.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jds44
Originally Posted by gunner500
my longbow is a 66" Toelke Montana Whip, 54 lbs at 28"s, I draw 31"s and best I remember it's around 58 or 60 lbs on the bowshop scale

Don't quote me, but I think the general guideline is something like 3 pounds per inch over 28''. If that's true, you may be all the way up to 63 lbs with your draw length.

You Sir are correct, Mr. Toelke said exactly that at my draw length, he also said an arrow weighing from 500 to 600+ grains with a good head and 170+ fps will shoot through an elk or black bear with ease, I should have deer and pigs covered nicely. smile

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Great to hear JGray, I just got off the phone with Dan Toelke, gave him the specs on my bow as far a draw length, suspected poundage etc, he recommended the 350 Vintage arrows from Black Eagle archery cut at 33"s for my set up, I'll call and order a dozen tomorrow, he said the old STOS 160 was indeed a good head, I ask because they are no longer being made and he recommended the 150 gr 2 blade Magnus Stingers, I'll give those a good looking over too for future reference.

I didn't realize the STOS were no longer made - glad I stocked up on the 160's when I did. I've used Magnus 2 blade heads in the past and was always impressed with how damn sharp I could get them. More recently, I've been intrigued with (and have heard great things about) the VPA 3 blade heads and am shooting those this year.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would kill for a 31 inch draw. Lol

I have a friend with that draw length. He's put arrows clean through deer shooting mid 40 lb bows. 60 at that draw will have awesome cast.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by JGray

I didn't realize the STOS were no longer made - glad I stocked up on the 160's when I did. I've used Magnus 2 blade heads in the past and was always impressed with how damn sharp I could get them. More recently, I've been intrigued with (and have heard great things about) the VPA 3 blade heads and am shooting those this year.

Thanks for the info on the VPA's too JGray, I'll check those out too, LOL bbassi, stretch it out buddy. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Love the looks of that 3" 175 gr non vented three blade screw in VPA head, bet it's a deep puncher.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That's the exact one I'm using...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some beautiful bows, gentlemen. Congrats on the kills.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Great Minds, I guess. grin

Trump Won!
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Yeah, I'd go along with that wink I've been a dedicated wood arrow shooter forever but have been shooting more carbons lately, but that has me thinking I need to order some of the glue on 3 blade VPA's, just 'cause...

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I'll chime in since the elk season opens Saturday here. 60" Martin Hatfield T/D, 55# @ 28", 30" XX75 2216's tipped with Magnus Classic 125 grain broadheads, Selway bolt on quiver. I'm pumped, 4 days until the chase is on!

No brains, no headaches...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got an old Robertson longbow (50#/54") that I hunt with year around. Shot a pretty good gar with it a couple of weeks ago.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody shoot a Martin Savannah?

Never really got into trad, but get the itch to give it a whirl on occasion. The Savannah always looked like a beautiful bow.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Yeah, I'd go along with that wink I've been a dedicated wood arrow shooter forever but have been shooting more carbons lately, but that has me thinking I need to order some of the glue on 3 blade VPA's, just 'cause...

Well Crap! I'm averaging about 5" groups at 17 yards with my Longbow, holding low, I know the deer will surely duck such a slow set up, that's three under aiming the arrow tip, if I could hold that centered to 20 yards I'd feel better, need to shoot that longbow A LOT more.

Yes, grab a couple packs of those glue on's, I have 12 160 STOS heads, need to find some kind of tool I can sharpen the one I've been practicing with, oddly enough it lands in with the field points.

Keep those limbs stretched out Lt.

MM, I've never saw a Savannah longbow, you may want to get it, very frustrating, but satisfying when you start to hit a little, a major rush when you stab your first deer with one, I had a stupid grin glued on my face the whole hour drive home with my first ;]

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
MM, I shot one way back when I picked up my Hatfield. I was going back and forth between the Savannah or the Hatfield. It was a really smooth, nice shooting bow. But so is the Hatfield and I was stuck on a recurve takedown at the time. Really nice wood on the Savannah I was trying also. If I ever run across one again for a decent deal, I'd pick one up. One of my shooting and hunting buddies has a Herb Meland Pronghorn. Very nice, smooth shooting bow if you're looking for a reflex deflex type bow. I'd like to find a set of 50# limbs for my Hatfield but evidently they are non-existent.

Lots of nice set-ups you guys are using! I've always liked the the looks of the Silvertips too. Nice looking rigs.

No brains, no headaches...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

...need to find some kind of tool I can sharpen the one I've been practicing with, oddly enough it lands in with the field points.

I like the Tru Angle file system but I'm not seeing them listed anymore - very easy to get a shaving sharp broadhead with minimal effort. They were discussed here on this thread: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...01966/all/Sharpening_Traditional_broadhe

Here is a used one on ebay that may be worth a look: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUANGLE-W...SHARPEN/113220498182?hash=item1a5c77b306

l made my own version of it in a larger size that I like better and gave my Tru Angle file set away to a buddy that was just starting out with a longbow I built for him.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks again JGray, if that sharpener is still on ebay tomorrow, I'll have Wifey log on and bid on that for me.

I didn't know you built longbows, and certainly don't even know if it's kosher to ask, but, as far as long bow quality goes, is my Toelke Montana Whip a good solid bow? I know nothing about them.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've never shot or handled a Toelke but they are very highly regarded in the traditional archery community. From what I understand, Dan Toelke is a great guy and very talented bowyer. I'd say your bow is definitely near the top of the field. Oh - probably should add for clarity, I'm a 'hobby' bowyer and am not in the business. I just build them for myself and a few others via word of mouth.

If you end up not getting that sharpener and want one, give me a shout - I can make you a better one in less than an hour and would be happy to do so.

Last edited by JGray; 08/29/18.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Mighty nice offer there JGray, Thank You, I may have to take you up on that, hope it's a simple procedure, I'm persimmon green when it comes to sharpening anything.

Trump Won!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (338reddog, 300_savage, 308xray, 16penny, 280shooter, 29 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,261
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.