Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Picked up a trailer and an extra wheel (spare) on Monday and got the Polaris sportsman 570 yesterday. Now I need to trick both out with specific mods for my needs. I picked up a new 160 acre lease for hunting and the ability to get a dozen or more ladder stand in there and deer out is daunting since I cant even get my 4x4 Dodge Ram to some of the places. This will make things a bit easier on this old guy. I added a ball hitch to the ATV so I can pull the trailer with it. The bulk of the year this thing will sit idle. Its reason for being is mainly bowhunting season and gun deer season. When not used for deer hunting it will reside at my parents place up state. It may get some winter ice fishing use.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sharp_things; 08/23/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Going to do any food plotting on that lease?

I've been looking around for a used ATV....what guys are asking for a used beat up machine you can just about get new for a few dollars more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, nice bait spreader you got there.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Tweed
Going to do any food plotting on that lease?

No Its a real farm with crops and such..

Originally Posted by kellory

Aint it cool? wink Time to modify the trailer. taller wood sides, a spare tire holder and a place to secure it, tie down hooks, Thompson's water seal, and some security features.

[Linked Image]

The trailer has been modified so it can be used for my business (hauling stuff to the shows I do) I bought it intending to raise the sides. Here is how it came.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Then after a little work adding a place for the spare tire and taller sides and treating the wood and some security.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sharp_things; 08/24/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little Thompson's water seal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ready for business.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kellory

😂🤣😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
adding a jack to the tongue (It got heavy.). Got a heavy, canvas tarp and will add a whole lot more grommets around the edges. A gas can, a lug wrench and some ratchet straps.

[Linked Image]

There is a lot of storage in the front. I got a 15 foot cable (security) and I sewed a hook and a loop to the ends of 25 feet of towing webbing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There is also storage in the back that I will fill with useful stuff like tools, flashlight, rope, folding saw, etc. I ordered and after market silencer for the muffler. Its already very quiet but If I can make it quieter, I will.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ronnie did the old gal finally die and you cashed the life insurance check? LOL
Just joking l!! glad to see you are back on your antipsychotic. 🖕

Last edited by fredIII; 08/24/18.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by fredIII
Ronnie did the old gal finally die and you cashed the life insurance check?

Nope she is doing well. I picked up another lease and life is going to be a whole lot easier with this stuff. My company is taking off beyond my expectations and my consulting work for other bowhunting-centric companies is also doing very well (too well at times). The bulk of my patents are for medical devices but others are for hunting products and all are doing well. Thanks to the President, Our oil wells in the Dakotas are also paying off too so all in all, life is pretty good so I bought some toys. Still lots of mods to make to them.

I got the jack installed.

[Linked Image]

And a heavy duty canvas tarp and I put extra grommets every 10 inches for another idea Im concocting.

[Linked Image]

Still more to do on the trailer and ATV but this weekend Im doing bow tuning for the masses at our club's shoot.

Last edited by sharp_things; 08/25/18.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sharp: That treated wood will rapidly corrode the metal of the trailer.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sharp: Use non oxygenated fuel (no ethanol). Ethanol fuel begins deteriorating in 30 days. Put Seafoam in the gas. Have your parents start it once in a while during the off season. Hook up a small solar charger to the battery. If you let a lead acid battery discharge below 50% the life is drastically reduced. Trojan recommends charging at least every 3 months.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bobmn
Sharp: That treated wood will rapidly corrode the metal of the trailer.

Other trailers on the farm and other trailer owners I know have not seen what you describe. The metal is painted and the wood coated with a lot of Thompson's water seal. I dont doubt your concern but my experiences differ.

Originally Posted by bobmn
Sharp: Use non oxygenated fuel (no ethanol). Ethanol fuel begins deteriorating in 30 days. Put Seafoam in the gas. Have your parents start it once in a while during the off season. Hook up a small solar charger to the battery. If you let a lead acid battery discharge below 50% the life is drastically reduced. Trojan recommends charging at least every 3 months.

This I agree with. The ATV will reside on the farm from Sept to Dec. But I will be using it every weekend and even more during the rut. I dont expect it would ever sit for more than a week at a time.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
This tailer has nearly double the storage of the 8 ft. bed of my truck and I will use this trailer to carry product and my booth to hunting shows I attend so I need a cover. I added 2 feet of small rope at each grommet on the canvas tarp and since its real canvas, I soaked it down with two cans of silicone waterproofer..

[Linked Image]

I dont want sag in the canvas as water will build up and destroy it. I added one additional row of wood to the front of the trailer and cut it to roughly a 2-12 pitch and used the hooks along the side to create a ridge and rafters made of rope. This pitch and the silicone will shed water well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I will seal up the front corners to keep tire splash water from entering.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Im thinking of making another canvas cover with a little more head room using 1 inch PVC I would heat form for the task.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Our practice bending PVC without crushing it.

Last edited by sharp_things; 08/29/18.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You go brother. I love it when a plan comes together.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hmmmm.....

Before I spent that much time and money on a project like that, I would have just bought a small enclosed trailer. Much easier to lock up and make weather tight than that thing.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I need an open trailer about 80% of the time and an enclosed about 20% so buying an enclosed one would be a mistake. Hauling firewood in an enclosed trailer sucks. You really cant haul things larger than an enclosed trailer but with an open trailer things can extend out in every direction. Driving an ATV into a small enclosed trailer sucks too. This was the best of both worlds and I get to do a project (the joy is in the doing and creating.)

Yesterday, the Benz Silent Rider muffler silencer I ordered, arrived in the brown truck. I fired up the MIG welder and attached it. (you only weld a small collar "adapter ring" to the existing muffler outlet) The rest of the silencer attaches with bolts. Wanting to know the difference it would make I set up a video camera to capture the before and after.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sharp_things; 08/30/18.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Interesting.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mibowhunter
Hmmmm.....

Before I spent that much time and money on a project like that, I would have just bought a small enclosed trailer. Much easier to lock up and make weather tight than that thing.

^^^Same thing I was thinking. Now it looks like he will be pulling a chuck wagon.

Not much difference with the muffler. Waste of money IMO.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
If you don't have much money and/or are cheap then I can see worrying about cash and penny pinching. Thankfully I am not plagued with such issues. Money is not a problem. It was only $187. The noise difference is significant (can be noticed on the video but is even more impressive in person). I wear hearing aids so Im always doing things to reduce damaging what hearing I have left. It removes the sharp "Crack" and mutes and softens it and also reduces the decibel level. (Exactly what I was looking for). I was impressed enough that I actually consider it a bargain price for it does.

Yes the bigger covered top will give it the look of a covered wagon. Perhaps a more "hoop" style would look even more like that instead of the pitched type I designed. I like that.

SWEET!. Thanks for the input. wink

Thanks for your interest in this project. Happy for your input and concerns. Glad you have invested yourself in this. Continue to follow along.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sharp_things; 08/31/18.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (boatboy, Blueeagle, 35, Boarmaster123, blackhawk44, 8 invisible), 1,216 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,237
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.