Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The broadhead that is lucky enough to earn the coveted, top spot in my quiver year. Sharpens well, flies great, spins true, American made. I picked up 15 of them as a steal of a deal. THey worked well for my Russian boar and a hunter I outfitted for a huge American Bison and friends that killed a ton of game in Africa so I thought I would use them to kill some deer this year. Few heads penetrate as well.

Woodsman, 160 grain.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sharp_things; 09/11/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Did you sharpen those other broadheads prior to testing? Awfully big discrepancy between the others.

I have a box of muzzy's that I currently plan on using but those woodsmen look good. I also really like the way 2 blade grizzlies look when shooting. Would thing that 2 blades would cut with even less pressure if sufficiently sharp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are those the old Snuffer broadheads reincarnated?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I shouldn't have used a slick trick to kill that 6X6 bull elk yesterday.....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I guess I shouldn't have used a slick trick to kill that 6X6 bull elk yesterday.....

I think you did mighty fine slumming those......

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aalf

Yeah, but they didn't even go through that piece of leather in the video at zero feet per second....;)

Last edited by scenarshooter; 09/11/18. Reason: left a word out..

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, but they didn't even go through that piece of leather in the video at zero feet per second....;)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks safe dough. Lmao Apple's vs oranges

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Pat, shame on you for using a sub standard head lol. The new wicked tricks will be in my quiver this yr

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crazy that the chisel tip designs took more force than the cut on contact design........

Would have been a real heart breaker if you would have put one of them through your forearm ya [bleep].

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good demonstration showing you are ready to hunt farm animals. Hope you have a great year “Cow Head” using your Woodsman and new Bovine Camo Outfit 😎

[Linked Image]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Tweed
Did you sharpen those other broadheads prior to testing? Awfully big discrepancy between the others.

All were hunt ready edges.

Are those the old Snuffer broadheads reincarnated?

No, these are woodsman heads. Snuffers are no longer made. I used Snuffers recently in Hawaii for my Vancovuver Bull and Poly hog hunt as sort of a tribute to Roger who had recently passed. I planned to use these woodsman heads for my Hawaii hunt but when roger died, I switched to the Snuffers. Snuffers are just larger/heavier.

Slick Tricks are great heads. Ive killed a ton of game with them over the last 4 years. They were my go to head for small game like deer but Ive been itching to kill deer with woodsmans and I got these at such a great deal I set the slick tricks aside for this year. I have 15 of these woodsman now so I thought it would be fun to switch it up. I have about 500 diff broadheads on hand and I have broadhead ADHD and like to change it up. This year I have killed several different species in several different states and all with a different broadhead.

Originally Posted by hillestadj
Crazy that the chisel tip designs took more force than the cut on contact design........

Not really, that was excepted.

Originally Posted by hillestadj
Would have been a real heart breaker if you would have put one of them through your forearm.

Thats why I was wearing my heavy welding gloves. Safety first. wink

Originally Posted by Beaver10
Good demonstration showing you are ready to hunt farm animals. Hope you have a great year “Cow Head” using your Woodsman

Thanks, Ive not hunted farm animals as of yet, but perhaps in the future, who knows?? I like to hunt all over and all sorts of species. Im not limited in what or where I hunt. Currently looking at gators and hogs in FL and in talks with a couple guides in Africa. As of yet, no wild bovine hunts are planed. My newest lease is not a cattle/dairy farm. Its just a straight up crop farm. Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts.

I contemplated using my Cutthroats for deer this year but they are really overkill for small game like deer. And all my cutthroats are currently in Africa being used by a friend seeking Cape Buffalo, Kudo, Sable, wildebeest, etc.

I know the fine folks at 3Rivers archery (they carry my broadhead Sharpening guide on their web site and catalog) and because the Woodsman is made by them right here in the USA, Im eager to try their head on deer this year. This is how they are made.

They come rough honed and then I take them to the next level with a mirror finish and surgical sharpness as well as revising the tip with a secondary grind (tanto).

Last edited by sharp_things; 09/12/18.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
nice heads ! , I am still use`n just a old favorite broadhead that I sharpen myself for deer,made in Minnesota Twin Cities called Zwickey Broadheads another good old head. good luck to all and be safe this fall ! Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
IIRC Snuffer designed a longer thinner head, but chose to not produce, so somebody else did.
Obviously there was a name change........Woodsman. Dunno who made them, 3R sold them.
With them by Ft Wayne, my guess is the folks that do VPA might be doing the Elite.
Woodsman elite is all machined.
Reg Woodsmans, when they get that 3:1 ratio, have supposedly had some bend (hence the 1 pc machined versions).

Magnus I thought sold the Snuffer head to somebody else.Few beers since, can't remember who.
They (Magnus) do make the SS still, which is like a G5...........60 degree and I dislike those (killed deer w G5 and SS.......I'll take a Striker thanks).

Been happy w Magnus Stingers (w bleeders) for whitetails.
Wish they made a steel ferrule version.

Liked the old Snuffers, blew big holes.......but brazed, they didn't hold up on all pass throughs LOL

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use the Rocky Mountain 125 grain.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Surgical sharp.................you mean like a scalpel blade?
LOL, I had to lap scalpel blades at work because they weren't sharp enough new (shaving wires on IC's under microscope).
Since I had the metallurgy lab too............pretty convenient.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/12/18.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I got my BH's pretty sharp w just a file. Snuffers and 2 blades.
Changed the angles though.
Had the knack, blew through deer, great BT's...............couple seasons and.then right before the next.......damn if I hadn't lost the touch.
Tried 3 times and said F it.
Got an Accusharp, which seemed kinda half arsed.
A burr edge.
Blew through deer with my recurve just fine.
Oh well.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
grin wink

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hookeye
IIRC Snuffer designed a longer thinner head, but chose to not produce, so somebody else did.
Obviously there was a name change........Woodsman. Dunno who made them, 3R sold them.

The original "Wensel" woodsman is still being produced and the name "Wensel" should be a pretty good clue as to who brought them to market so many moons ago,

With them by Ft Wayne, my guess is the folks that do VPA might be doing the Elite.
Woodsman elite is all machined.

correct, VPA does machine the one piece heads for 3 Rivers.

Reg Woodsmans, when they get that 3:1 ratio, have supposedly had some bend (hence the 1 pc machined versions).

With all the guys I know that use them without issue on really big game and after passing though 35" of Russian boar (including the scapula) Ive not heard of any bending.

Liked the old Snuffers, blew big holes.......but brazed, they didn't hold up on all pass throughs LOL

After center punching the big rib of a 1000 lb. Vancouver bull with a 700 grain arrow tipped with a original Rothhaar Snuffer, I can attest to how strong those heads are. In one case I pulled an arrow from the big bull and re-used it to kill a hog.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got my BH's pretty sharp w just a file. Snuffers and 2 blades.
Changed the angles though.
Had the knack, blew through deer, great BT's...............couple seasons and.then right before the next.......damn if I hadn't lost the touch.
Tried 3 times and said F it.
Got an Accusharp, which seemed kinda half arsed.
A burr edge.
Blew through deer with my recurve just fine.
Oh well.

3 Blade heads dont require a guide or a file, just lay them on your sharpening media and slide side to side. Even new/current 3 blade heads dont come sharp from the factory and need honing. here is one straight from the package and after I honed it to a surgical edge finishing on ceramic lapping plates.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2 blades heads are super easy to hone to a razors edge with a Stay sharp guide. The accusharp (rada V) drag through things destroys edges and makes them jagged. If passed through the vitals will still kill (so will a field point or a very dull broadhead) but they dont slice and cause hemorrhage like a sharp head does.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Can get G5 or Snuffer SS sharp with the diamond stone G5 sells/recommends............still don't like them.
Like a finer blade angle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (16gage, 16penny, 12savage, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 47 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,140
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.