-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 6.5 Creedmoor is a .243 loaded to 2,500 fps.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Odd post??? And not to pile on but unless I'm missing something and he has a special tag like a disabled tag or something I don't think you are allowed to shoot blacktail bucks unless they have at least one forked antler.

The regs read: "One buck deer having not less than a forked antler" So if this was a spike its not a legal buck?????

I love plot twists and turns grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The other possibility for not going down the steep hillside was it had been 49,999 miles since he last changed his valve cover gaskets............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know all the details, so won't criticize. I will say, however, that stuff happens, and so I don't often hunt late in the day unless it's someplace where recovery of a critter won't be too difficult, and I can pick my shots even more carefully than usual. I've particpated in enough cluster-fuggs involving wounded deer, mostly not of my making, to bring me to this way of thinking, despite the increased chances of seeing something in those last moments.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I am perplexed as to why it is the bullets fault if the animal hasn’t been recovered?

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That's always the first thing I do when I shoot a deer is call the bullet manufacturer to tell them how it performed. Especially when I haven't even got the deer out yet.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Perplexing to say the least. If i got a bullet in something and am having trouble with the recovery or retrieval my first call is for people I know to come help. Not the fuggin’ bulllet manufacturer. I assume you notched your tag since this deer is obviously dead if you shot him in the vitals?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Seafire

I cranked the scope power up from 4 to 10, as he staggered thru the thick brush and fallen trees, but was not able to get a clear shot...I did see several times of him having a bleeding hole just behind this left shoulder..

Go get the deer. Get help if you need it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A deer can run a long way going down hill shot with any bullet. That doesn't mean bullet failure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Odd post??? And not to pile on but unless I'm missing something and he has a special tag like a disabled tag or something I don't think you are allowed to shoot blacktail bucks unless they have at least one forked antler.

The regs read: "One buck deer having not less than a forked antler" So if this was a spike its not a legal buck?????

Toss the rule book, he was shooting a Game Changer!

Originally Posted by Seafire
Well, I had a volunteer blacktail spike buck this afternoon...shot was about 150 yds, on a flat spot on a mountain side....

Sure would like to report it performed perfect... but sadly I can't... We're talking 90 grain 6mm version.

The buck staggered around a bit.. the does with him, started heading uphill into the trees and vegetation.
He tried to follow and couldn't make it up the bank...so he staggered around a little more
and then headed down hill, thru fallen trees and brush ( this was on old forest fire burn).. staggering all the way... this was one of these Oregon mountainsides that was easily at more than a 45 degree angle...

I cranked the scope power up from 4 to 10, as he staggered thru the thick brush and fallen trees, but was not able to get a clear shot...I did see several times of him having a bleeding hole just behind this left shoulder..

He finally went into a thick spot of undergrowth, and didn't leave.. he made it about 200 to 250 yds down the hillside....I looked thru the 12 power binocs, and couldn't see him move which that thick underbrush where he went.

I got the rifle and tried to head down the hillside toward where he went down... it was too steep and I could see breaking and ankle or leg is short order.. I watched the brush pile for about 30 minutes thru the binocs.. to no avail... if he would have gone further down hill, the brush thinned out enough I could have gotten another shot.. but that didn't happen...

Once I got out to near I 5, I finally got cell service...and called Sierra...it would have been 7 PM Missouri time. I told the customer service rep my experience with the product, the load and the caliber... 243...load 33 grains of 3031. He went on to tell me that the bullet is suppose to open up down to 1800 fps....but impact should have been a couple hundred FPS over that... and visual looking thru the scope on 10 power it was evident it was a good hit, in a critical place....

Sierra Rep, then told me the tip helped with opening up, but admitted that the bullet had a much tougher core than people think.... he said it was best used in something like a 240 Weatherby...My load was running about 2500 to 2550 fps out of my 22 inch barrel on my ADL/Rem...

I'm going to disassemble my ammo and spike the power charge up to give me more along the lines of 3000 to 3100 fps......Accuracy was there with my tests..... but testing it into local manzanita branch or two...say going thru 5 to 8 inches of wood... it never failed to penetrate, but the exit damage left something to be desired... more along the lines of just penciling thru... and on this blacktail, I am anticipating that is exactly what happened....

So if anyone is going to try out the Game Changer line, I'd recommend a good stiff load and MV...

Then their tech, tried to talk me into the old 85 grain HP... a bullet I've never been impressed with due to the amount of blood shot meat, I've experienced.....

That is my result of ONE....hence why I'll give it a try with faster velocity.... but none of this was mentioned when I spoke with Sierra BEFORE deer season....

anyone else planning on trying it, Best of Luck on your results...

nice bullet, but its going to be back to the Tried and Trued Ballistic Tips to me..

No chance for a follow up shot during all of this or was it due to the bullet test?

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by tzone
So you didn’t go look for the deer?

Wondering here too...

Kind of interests me too.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Sure hope to hear this deer is getting recovered right about now.... If not, contact ODFW, they will definitely help solve your "bullet" problems.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sierra Game Changer?

I think you’d have much better luck with the new Sierra BackPedal....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I'll keep shooting my Ballistic Tips until enough of you guys tell the Game Changer will change my life for the better.

Scott
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

I'll keep shooting my Ballistic Tips until enough of you guys tell the Game Changer will change my life for the better.

I’m a big Ballistic Tip fan, and have seen the 90/95 grain 6mm NBT kill all kinds of stuff. But, the 90/6mm Sierra GC shoots like a champ, and hammered my Antelope buck yesterday at 400... the extra .100 in BC over the NBT is a boon too. I’m gonna keep shooting them for a while...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

I’m a big Ballistic Tip fan, and have seen the 90/95 grain 6mm NBT kill all kinds of stuff. But, the 90/6mm Sierra GC shoots like a champ, and hammered my Antelope buck yesterday at 400... the extra .100 in BC over the NBT is a boon too. I’m gonna keep shooting them for a while...

Did you call Sierra and discuss that with them?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I sent a text to a couple of “dumb asses with poor reading comprehension skills”..... and DF’nL (I believe it’s pronounced “Sir”). Does that count?

That’d be daylight you can see through the rib cage ... the exit hole in the ribs is about the size of a golf ball.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sawbuck

Toss the rule book, he was shooting a Game Changer!

Game Changer is just Sierra copycat hype...cause everyone knows 6.5 Creed is the original 'GC'..!

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow! Just......[bleep] wow..... It never ceases to amaze me how much you can learn just by listening to someone. The deer deserved a hell of a lot better than that [bleep] show.

Last edited by jackmountain; 10/12/18.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

What flavor of 243 are you using to shoot these 90gr SGCs ?

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,820
Posts18,496,507
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.