Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
My wife has a short commute to work. I'm thinking about outfitting my Camry with winter type tires for her to drive on those days when there's snow. Obviously, I'm not going to go with all out studded snow tires on a sedan. But what's the story on tires that have tread designed for winter driving?

I've never owned any.

They will mostly be used for everyday driving on dry roads. What's the downside to that?

I'm talking about tires something like these.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Ultra-Grip-Winter-225-60R16-98T-VSB-tire/33860049

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just use all seasons on my wife's Camry. No problems in the past 20 years.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I just use all seasons on my wife's Camry. No problems in the past 20 years.

Which tire has worked well for you?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
All seasons are no better than highways. The rubber is too hard for a decent grip. They're a gimmick to make you feel like your equipped for winter. You're not. You need real snow tires and studs greatly improve the traction, especially on ice. Snows are made of a softer rubber and don't last as long but if you mount them on spare wheels and just use them in the winter, you can get quite a few years out of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Nokian WRG3, they're extreme winter rated with a mileage warranty of 55,000 miles.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know lots of people in Alaska rage about Bridgestone Blizzaks for the snow. Nokian Ipikes with or without the studs are supposed to be good tires as well. I think my son is running Nokian's on his truck this winter.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by tdbob
Nokian WRG3, they're extreme winter rated with a mileage warranty of 55,000 miles.

Been reading. They sound like what I'm looking for.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...rovides-all-season-performance/index.htm

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tdbob

tdbob beat me to it.

The Nokian WR line (not sure but I think there are 2 or 3 models in the line) is "all season" but WAY better in snow than most all season tires by a long shot. They are very popular in southern and central Sweden (in northern Sweden, Noka true winter tires rule the roost but you don't need REAL winter tires with studs in TN!

Here is a link to a review: Nokian WR series of tires but I'm sure you can quickly find other reviews.

As noted in that review, very few other all season ties can use the official snowflake symbol -- a tire must meet test criteria for real snow.

Cheers,
John

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

From what I've read the more siping a tire has the better the traction on wet surfaces, packed snow and (within reason) ice.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm in Kentucky, but you're right. We don't have a lot of bad snow days here. On the other hand, we definitely can have snow up to a foot every once in a while.

Her car is a 2WD Acura RDX,...an SUV. But my plain Jane Toyota Camry is much better than the RDX in snow. Probably because the RDX is fitted with wide, low profile tires that just ride up on top of the snow. It handles very good on dry pavement, but it's useless on snow.

That's why I'm thinking about outfitting my Camry with the tires for snow driving. It could use a set of tires, anyway. The one's that are on it are cheap tires. They were new when I bought it and they still have tread, but they must be a very hard compound. They spin very easy when taking off on wet roads.

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My friend since HS has managed a Discount Tire store for 20+ years. I was just talking to him and his recommendation for my wife's car was the new Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready tire. She had the older version of this tire and it did quite well.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/search?text=goodyear+assurance+weather+ready

More reviews and info:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+WeatherReady

Last edited by prm; 10/25/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go with studs all around on spare wheels. Like runnin' on rails. Otherwise enjoy the walk home or the tow bill and I'm not trying to be rude.

Voice of exp. here.

Cheers.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Good all season radials will do fine, my CRV and wifes Mazda 3 come out of our holler just fine in snow with them.

FJB & FJT
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Funny to hear about studs. We use to have one guy studding tires all day about this time a year. When I asked him about it, he said he doesn't think he's sold a studded snow tire in 15 years. And that's in Colorado. The new all-season tires are really quite good.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Check out the General Altimax arctic, my wife went from a awd car to her Camry and she did not like it in the upstate New York winters. So I researched tires and found these, she’s been a happy camper for the last 3 winters with them as well as myself, very good tire for the money . Google tire rack and you can read all the reviews you want on snow tires .

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Lots to look into.

I appreciate the replies.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
All seasons are no better than highways. The rubber is too hard for a decent grip. They're a gimmick to make you feel like your equipped for winter. You're not. You need real snow tires and studs greatly improve the traction, especially on ice. Snows are made of a softer rubber and don't last as long but if you mount them on spare wheels and just use them in the winter, you can get quite a few years out of them.

Yep! What he said! 👍 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Bridgestone Blizzaks are a great snow tire. They wear down fast though on non snow pavement.

NRA Patron
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Ha ha, what is this 1975??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 64 invisible), 3,472 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,589
Posts18,532,385
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.