Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I know the area well, traveled it daily for years going back and forth to school, then work. Chances are we know some of the same people. I e got a couple DMAP tags for the area as well, but after killing my buck yesterday I’m back to work until the middle of next week.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yesterday was the 31st PA opener in a row I have missed. The kind folks I work for have ZERO sense of humor about days off in deer season. Starting last year they even take the first Saturday away and the last day is, thus far, up in the air. mad

The early years were the best times in my life...…………..out with Dad and brother...…….uncles ………...cousins from the city. Now I have 4 kids of my own. Never got to take any of them out for their FIRST first day. Stuff ya never get back. But, hey...……….. I made the company money on those first days gone by.

That being said...………….. I think I'd have sat a stand at the local eggs & taters joint yesterday morning. My mom raised SMART kids instead of good lookin ones. grin

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some right nice shots from the field, Mr. Battue !!!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Yesterday was the 31st PA opener in a row I have missed. The kind folks I work for have ZERO sense of humor about days off in deer season. Starting last year they even take the first Saturday away and the last day is, thus far, up in the air. mad

The early years were the best times in my life...…………..out with Dad and brother...…….uncles ………...cousins from the city. Now I have 4 kids of my own. Never got to take any of them out for their FIRST first day. Stuff ya never get back. But, hey...……….. I made the company money on those first days gone by.

That being said...………….. I think I'd have sat a stand at the local eggs & taters joint yesterday morning. My mom raised SMART kids instead of good lookin ones. grin

I'd have quit exactly 31 years ago.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Climbed up and scouted a new ridge. Dropped down to grab stand and drop pack then back in. Wind about blew me away. Found better prospects if my knees will let me climb a few more times. Some reason starting this year they give me trouble if I’m really pushing theckimbsZ 100# pack and 2nd trip with 30#s gear and stand 1500 - 2000’ nearly vertical doesn’t feel so good. Had weird feeling in one after getting hit by car 4 years ago because the Dr drilled titanium nail that stabilized leg through the knee cap. Maybe the accident catching up to me finally. Taking on car driving 35-40 mph with your side probably not good for long term.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
And don’t care it’s a newish Titan SD or that if it’s ledt after season it might get removed by DNR. I’ll instead it so it doesn’t hurt the trees growth but that stand might live up there forever. Funny out of miles of land the one scraggly tree I found that might work had 50+ year old sqyarehwadlags from I’m guessing old stand. About every foot or so. What are the odds that I’d pick the one tree on top of mountain some old hunter Used?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike

I'd have quit exactly 31 years ago.

Yeah...……… Hindsight is always 20/20 or better.

I guess, ultimately, eating and paying the bills trumps deer hunting with your kids and family and silly chit like that. My employer has its folks pants down, over a barrel and they know it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I guess, ultimately, eating and paying the bills trumps deer hunting with your kids and family and silly chit like that.

No, ultimately it doesn’t. Not in this house anyway. I’ve quit jobs for getting hunting time off before. I’ll do it again. But I don’t have to because I don’t work for ass holes.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hope to God, that I never need one days pay, bad enough to miss the first day of deer season, yet sadder is the fact that you would not put your kids first buck in front of a that days pay.

Sadly, You will one day regret, all of these lost opportunities to spend with your children, for that one days pay.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by Dale K
I'll come home from Thanksgiving at my daughters on Saturday and then head north to DuBois on Sunday. Dad's been putting a trail camera out recently, he caught a couple of decent bucks on it. Also several coyotes. He said the neighbor who rents the farm ground still has corn standing, that could make things tough.

On the bright side, I talked to my buddy Brad, he's bringing the chili.

Dale

My buddy[and son] headed home to DuBois Sunday after being down here in VA hunting his families farm.
I don't know how much the deer wander out of Treasure Lake where they live but they had many pics of some fine bucks!
Good luck to all of you guys!

My dad and the other original members of our camp (all passed on now) used to hunt back in the Treasure Lake area before it was called Treasure Lake. Their property extends up near the area we hunt. Lots of deer back in there for sure.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

I guess, ultimately, eating and paying the bills trumps deer hunting with your kids and family and silly chit like that.

No, ultimately it doesn’t. Not in this house anyway. I’ve quit jobs for getting hunting time off before. I’ll do it again. But I don’t have to because I don’t work for ass holes.

Dad was a carpenter by trade, and his work usually wound down before deer season. One year he was still working when deer season rolled around, and the boss knew he was a hunter. He told Dad he'd not be getting days off to go hunting. Dad packed his tools and left-never looked back. I couldn't work for an employer who couldn't give me time off for deer opener.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimy
I hope to God, that I never need one days pay, bad enough to miss the first day of deer season, yet sadder is the fact that you would not put your kids first buck in front of a that days pay.

Sadly, You will one day regret, all of these lost opportunities to spend with your children, for that one days pay.

Believe me...……...not my choice. I'd give up the WEEK'S pay to hunt with my kids. It's the "insubordination" thing that gets ya by the nads. Where I work, there is NO vacation and NO personal days granted from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Call off sick on the first day of deer season and you'll come back Tuesday to suspension papers. No question. No kidding.

…… I don't work for ass holes.

I do.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
OK, let’s let it lie. This is a fine thread and it is obvious Yoder would like things to be different. For whatever reason, or reasons, this is the place he currently finds himself.

Idea for another thread. “What would you do if your employer said....”

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Believe me...……...not my choice. I'd give up the WEEK'S pay to hunt with my kids. It's the "insubordination" thing that gets ya by the nads. Where I work, there is NO vacation and NO personal days granted from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Call off sick on the first day of deer season and you'll come back Tuesday to suspension papers. No question. No kidding.

I do.

Under those circumstances, you should have earned enough money to retire a long time ago. smile

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I do.

Under those circumstances, you should have earned enough money to retire a long time ago. smile

I did. My ex got half of it.
frown

Anyhoo…………… I'm within a few years of walking in, giving them the finger and walking out retired, so...……… Better days ahead.

Since I didn't get to take my little (not so little anymore) hunter gal out yesterday, I'm taking her to Nebraska this spring to chase Merriam's birds. I AM allowed vacation in May. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I was going to post something similar. But since you said it so well......

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I got detention in HS for taking off first 2 days of Pa buck season.

It was worth it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I do.

It's totally your choice. It's also your choice not to work somewhere else. It's about priorities...yours are different than mine and that's OK. I've worked for ass holes twice. I got a new job both times...including this fall. This is the first week in November I've worked this year.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by battue
OK, let’s let it lie. This is a fine thread and it is obvious Yoder would like things to be different. For whatever reason, or reasons, this is the place he currently finds himself.

Idea for another thread. “What would you do if your employer said....”

I have an idea for a thread....When is battue going to post his 2018 PA buck kill. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I do.

I did. My ex got half of it.
frown

Anyhoo…………… I'm within a few years of walking in, giving them the finger and walking out retired, so...……… Better days ahead.

Since I didn't get to take my little (not so little anymore) hunter gal out yesterday, I'm taking her to Nebraska this spring to chase Merriam's birds. I AM allowed vacation in May. grin

Lay down an "upper decker" in the john before you do that.

And also....ask for deer season off. When they so "no"....give em the double middle fingers and say "here's my retirement notice." grin

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 219DW, 57 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,150
Posts18,502,837
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.