Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just a quickie.

Is there, and how much, difference in capacity and/or longevity are the cases between Norma, Hornady and PPU in the 9.3x62 brass?

Any insight is appreciated.
God Bless

Thanks.
Steve

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
HR IC

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Couldn’t speak on the capacity or even the longitivity at this point , but the PPU seemed to have a bit more rim thickness that didn’t play nice with feeding in my CZ550. Had a pile of Grafs headstamp I traded without trying, and went ahead and worked up my loads with a big batch of Lapua brass ...

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Huh. That wouldnt be good for sure. Thanks. Something to look into.

God Bless
Steve

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
steve692,

My hubby (Tex) would tell you that LAKE CITY brass (which he gets from a Garand match shooter for free) is "the class" in cases for 9.3x62mm. = The .30-06 cases fire-form easily in his Remington Model 760, that JES remodeled for him.
(I've heard him say that he gets 8-10 CB reloads from each fire-formed LC case & at least 5-6 full-power JHP loads from each case. - He probably shoots 80% cast loads in all of his rifles, as he says that they kill at least as well as "factory"..)

Hope that that tip helps.

Sincerely, DarlaG

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Caveat to the above being your individual chamber . 30-06 cases are known to give up the ghost early in a loose “true” 9.3x62 chamber

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
jmdo25,

FYI, Jessie's chambers are "within spec" for every caliber that he rechambers/rebores, including 9.3x62mm Mauser. - I've had NO problem with reloading any Lake City >30-06 "once fired" cases for the Model 760 numerous times..
(Darla's comment about reforming LC cases was 100% spot on. = I much prefer Lake City cases reformed to any other sort.)

I'm one of Jessie's real FANS as his work is PEERLESS. Given that machining was NOT up to modern standards in the early 20th Century when the 9.3x62 was designed,, I have a suspicion that that is where the MYTH of "loose chambers" came from

yours, tex

Last edited by DarlaG; 12/15/18. Reason: clarity/addenda
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
There's a very slight difference between US made 30-06 case heads and the original, I went the whole hog and bought Norma and Sellier and Bellott brass. Some US resizing dies have been known to cause problems but I found RCBS to be great. With the Norma brass I also found it would spring back after running it through the neck sizer, which made bullet seating impossible, because the neck would collapse. I annealed all the Norma brass and it worked fine. There's an excellent South African website on the 9.3x62, if I can find it again I'll post it here. Great cartridge that, I shot a few Asian Water Buffalo with it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That would be great, Triplecanopy, all info offered is appreciated.

At this time, fire forming cases isn't within my plans but still interesting. I'm not going to need huge numbers of brass.

I'm looking at available cases from mfgs and whatever info I can get on each. In the end, I doubt I could really tell the difference but still.......I'm old and picky on what few things I buy these days and I do what research I can.

thanks to all, God Bless.
Steve

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by DarlaG
jmdo25,

FYI, Jessie's chambers are "within spec" for every caliber that he rechambers/rebores, including 9.3x62mm Mauser. - I've had NO problem with reloading any Lake City >30-06 "once fired" cases for the Model 760 numerous times..
(Darla's comment about reforming LC cases was 100% spot on. = I much prefer Lake City cases reformed to any other sort.)

I'm one of Jessie's real FANS as his work is PEERLESS. Given that machining was NOT up to modern standards in the early 20th Century when the 9.3x62 was designed,, I have a suspicion that that is where the MYTH of "loose chambers" came from

yours, tex

Tex , via Darlas account ...

If there’s confusion in what I’m saying we can either move on from it or agree to disagree . I brought no ones work into question , but you took some defenseive stance .

Facts are facts and accurate cartridge drawings are available . My comment is on a real scenario that exists . You take 30-06 brass that’s already dimensionally incorrect for 9.3x62 . Just so happen to size it in a die on the tight side , Fire it in a 9.3x62 chamber that’s on the upper end of the tolerance range , size it in the small die again . It’s not a myth this brass fails , as would any subjected similarly .

Edit : my memory may be fuzzy but if I recall correctly it’s been mentioned in the past RCBS dies are better suited to sizing 30-06 into 9.3x62 . If true that would have to do with the dimension at the web / case head wouldn’t it

Let’s consider two things , 1) there are a few different chamber specs out there for 9.3x62 ,
2) your chamber began life as a 30-06 , reckon that might have bearing on how well 30-06 brass plays in it ?

30-06 brass works ! Is it “the best “ ??? Too many variables and potential negatives , the stars would have to align .

Respectfully
Jmd

Last edited by jmd025; 12/16/18.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Steve692
That would be great, Triplecanopy, all info offered is appreciated.

At this time, fire forming cases isn't within my plans but still interesting. I'm not going to need huge numbers of brass.

I'm looking at available cases from mfgs and whatever info I can get on each. In the end, I doubt I could really tell the difference but still.......I'm old and picky on what few things I buy these days and I do what research I can.

thanks to all, God Bless.
Steve

Steve if my two cents are worth Face value to you , and considering you don’t need a high volume of brass , I recommend biting the bullet on Lapua , secondly Norma .

Just an opinion though

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Steve692,

Tex (before he went back to his mammal survey project about an hour ago) said to tell you that if you don't plan to reload for 9.3x62mm that PRVI PARTIZAN's 285 grain JSP load is his favorite for hunting with available factory ammunition. - He said that that brand is less expensive than most other brands & works just as well as the much more pricey ammunition for hunting any big game, anywhere.

"Pastor Roy", who leads our church's mission in northern AK, has taken several brown bears, caribou, moose & a polar bear (that he had to shoot inside the Christian Life Center) with his sporterized Mauser in that caliber.

Midway often has PRVI PARTIZAN JHP ammo for about 30 dollars per 20 rounds.

Sincerely, DarlaG

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
JMD,

I really don't think that Tex was being "defensive". Instead he was giving you his opinion based on his long experience with loading the 9.3x62 MM & the quality of work done by JES..
(That said, my guy is opinionated & perhaps with good reason, as he started reloading & casting bullets in 1963, when he was in boarding school. - He says that he couldn't afford to buy factory ammunition in the quantity that he wanted to shoot in his 1893 Mauser military rifle..)

I suspect that you will agree that there's a lot of ignorant opinions, common gossip, wild guesses, obvious nonsense & foolishness, that is posted to Internet forums, as if those things were facts.

Also, I just went & looked on his loading bench & his 9.3x62 loading dies are RCBS.

A personal note to you: Not long after I met and fell for Tex, I figured out that that he was passionate about his law enforcement career, firearms, hunting, shark fishing & sports cars. It was obvious that I could "get involved" with those interests or sit home alone a lot. So I started asking questions, learning about shooting & going with him on his hunting & fishing trips. - I'm still a neophyte & am learning "as I go".. - When we met, I had never even touched a gun but now I have a .38 Special S&W revolver, a carry permit, a 5.56 MM Remington Model 7615P carbine & am looking for a suitable "girl size" 20 gauge shotgun for bird-hunting.

Sincerely, DarlaG

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I've tried Hornady, Privi, and Lapua. I'd recommend Lapua.

The Hornady stuff needed annealed or would get cracked necks pretty quick but even then it lasted for 3 or 4 loadings at best. I also discovered they make their 9.3 brass from '06 blank brass to save money. This results in a case which is undersized just above the groove. I don't recall the numbers off the top of my head, but the specs for the 9.3 from 1905 have a slightly bigger diameter in the case body above the groove than the .30-06. Firing would blow the case out to the proper dimensions but then the RCBS sizing die would smoosh it back down. It was like RCBS and Hornady conspired to ruin the cartridge. It created a situation where the case is not fully supported in the chamber. It took awhile to see the issue but noticed my cases had a noticeable sizing ring above the case head. I had two case failures with the Hornady brass using full pressure loads. Failed as in the case split through the web and into the case head. I also discovered Lee dies are made to the proper specs and work beautifully but I do prefer the RCBS seater to the Lee.

Privi was junk to me. The rims were so thick they needed a different shell holder and loads assembled with them were much less accurate than the other two brands.

The Lapua stuff has been awesome. Very consistent and accurate. I haven't shot it enough to know how many loadings it's good for, but its more than the hornady for sure. That's all I will use now.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have been using the same batch of Norma brass in my CZ 550 9.3x62 since purchasing it in 2002. Worked up loads to "modern" (.30-06) pressures back then, as tested by a private ballistic lab, getting around 2650 fps with 250-grain bullets and 2450-2500 with 286's. Have hunted with the rifle from Alaska to three African countries. In Tanzania a few years ago afternoon temperatures were normally 100+ degrees, sometimes over 105. Had no difficulty with any of the loads or the brass. Am still using the same cases, with periodic annealing and resizing in standard Redding FL dies.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I've tried Hornady, Privi, and Lapua. I'd recommend Lapua.

The Hornady stuff needed annealed or would get cracked necks pretty quick but even then it lasted for 3 or 4 loadings at best. I also discovered they make their 9.3 brass from '06 blank brass to save money. This results in a case which is undersized just above the groove. I don't recall the numbers off the top of my head, but the specs for the 9.3 from 1905 have a slightly bigger diameter in the case body above the groove than the .30-06. Firing would blow the case out to the proper dimensions but then the RCBS sizing die would smoosh it back down. It was like RCBS and Hornady conspired to ruin the cartridge. It created a situation where the case is not fully supported in the chamber. It took awhile to see the issue but noticed my cases had a noticeable sizing ring above the case head. I had two case failures with the Hornady brass using full pressure loads. Failed as in the case split through the web and into the case head. I also discovered Lee dies are made to the proper specs and work beautifully but I do prefer the RCBS seater to the Lee.

Privi was junk to me. The rims were so thick they needed a different shell holder and loads assembled with them were much less accurate than the other two brands.

The Lapua stuff has been awesome. Very consistent and accurate. I haven't shot it enough to know how many loadings it's good for, but its more than the hornady for sure. That's all I will use now.

Thank you . .4698” for 30-06 vs .476” for 9.3x62, which is what I was alluding to earlier

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Steve, the website for the 9.3x62 is from Africa, Zambia I think. Have a look at www.93x62journal.co.za and see how you go. The author came up with some very compelling reasons why the cartridge is the most authentic African round.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
triplecanopy,

THANKS for posting the link. Otto Bock's invention is my favorite BIG game cartridge. When I,need a rifle for game that is larger/tougher than WT, it is my Model 760 in 9.3x62mm that I reflexively reach for. - When/If it fails to do the job it's my fault.

Note: MY brother, who has forgotten more about hunting than I'll ever live to know, came up with a small/medium game CB load for my 9.3x62 that is PURE DEATH on such creatures & W/O destroying much edible meat or the pelt.. - It's about the equal of the old-school "standard speed" .32-40 WCF.

yours, tex

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, indeed thank you for the link, but also many thanks to all whom offered their insight and experience with this fine round.
God Bless and Merry Christmas to each of you and yours.
Steve

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Steve692,

ImVho, PRVI PARTIZAN factory ammo is perfectly acceptable for shooting/hunting IF you do not reload. = The Serbs at that company make decent ammo in 9.3x62mm that works FINE in my rifle & which is a good bit cheaper to buy than other brands .
That said, I do NOT like their brass for reloading & use LAKE CITY "once fired" .30-06 cases that I get from a local Garand match shooter exclusively for fire-forming into 9.3x62mm Mauser.

Fwiw, I generally fire less than 50 rounds of "factory" ammo per year (other than 5.56NATO), as I generally use my own 285 grain cast bullets for at least 75-80% of all of my shooting/hunting. - I do not load 5.56mm NATO, currently.

A 285 grain bullet, cast from wheel-weights, in front of 50 grains of Varget, will efficiently KILL any creature that I am ever likely to hunt on Planet Earth.
(I'm sure that I'll not ever hunt elephant or rhino.)

Note: I mentioned, in another post, the small/medium game load that my little brother created for me. ======> the cast bullet is a .36 caliber conical bullet that was designed for .36 caliber muzzleloading & in front of 12 grains of either RED DOT or GREEN DOT..
(Many a Texas jackrabbit, fox, raccoon, possum, bobcat or coyote has met their end from being hit by that soft PB bullet. - It enters one side of the body, from most any angle, & passes out of the other side of the body without damaging much edible meat and/or the pelt.)

MERRY CHRISTMAS from both of us.

yours, tex

Last edited by DarlaG; 12/18/18. Reason: typo
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Probably the best bullet for any dangerous game you may hunt with this cartridge is the 285gn Woodleigh protected point. I used it to good effect on Asian Water Buffalo, but not on head shots, for those you really should use a solid, and Woodleigh have an excellent one called the hydrostatically controlled bullet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (222Sako, 22kHornet, 25aught6, 222ND, 270wsmnutt, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,380
Posts18,527,525
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.