Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You shouldn't be surprised.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken didn't do a thing wrong.

You were outbid, the auction was extended by 15 minutes and you were emailed, and you did not respond. The winning bidder won the auction.

There's no place for a bitch.

Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
HeavyMetal:

Highest bid ALWAYS wins.

Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I don't have a problem with the way the classifieds function but I do like the format of the classifieds. I scan the list and quite often have misc "stuff" pop out that I would've otherwise missed.

Is there a way to view the auctions chronologically as a whole instead of opening each category?

Under "Browse" add a category for "Newest First" and have the only filter here be the entry date. That way you can see items that were just added whether their guns, ammo or accessories....

Nebraska:

Sure there is.

On the home page, pull down the "Pick a Category" menu, and select "View All Categories."

Here's a link:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/24hourauctions/categories.php

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not at all familiar with internet auctions, so I have to ask why bidding was stopped at 2 AM. Seems like auctions closing 8 or 9 Central in the evening would make life easier.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cause that's when Ken posted his auction a week before, and the clock started ticking then.

BW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickBin
Ken didn't do a thing wrong.

You were outbid, the auction was extended by 15 minutes and you were emailed, and you did not respond. The winning bidder won the auction.

There's no place for a bitch.

Rick

My original post never said Ken, or 222Rem, did anything wrong.

It's common practice on ebay to bid at the last minute, anther fact I mentioned in my original post.

I bitched about it happening here though, and strangely enough it's because I feel the same as Ken Howell...

When I put an item up for auction, I say how little I'm desperate enough to sacrifice it for. Bidders offer me what they consider it to be worth to them. That's the inherent difference between an ad and an auction.

At least, that's how friendly, honorable auctions work � the kind of auction that the Campfire auctions ought to be � active, friendly comparisons of willing offers.

Note the words 'active', 'friendly', and 'honorable'.

But now my 'bitch' is the fact Ken has decided I was trying to cheat him, or get something on the cheap. The fact is I made my bid out in the open, days in advance, and ready to enter an active auction process. That is not going to be the norm in the auctions, much to my disappointment.

Basically the standard has been set, now everyone knows it, and there should be no more surprises.

Enjoy the auctions.

Brian

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks that will help alot. Can you make the "View All Categories" the default view when users open the auctions; before they choose a category??

A good example of that would be where I just looked at an ad for a couple shotgun barrels. I wasn't actively looking but if they were matte 21"-23" I would've just picked one up.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
OK thanks Rick.
Ken's a night owl.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure I can make it the default view, but we can make it the default view for YOU. All you gotta do is bookmark that link and enter the auctions that way.

I still have some fine tuning to do on the overall look.

Rick

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BW:

I wouldn't draw any firm conclusions, good or bad, about the auctions, unless you WANT to, and it seems you do.

It's still early in the game, LOTS of fine tuning to be done, and frankly, I think you're throwing the baby out with the bath water because this one didn't go your way.

For example, MOST of the "auctions" up right now are actually Buy It Now ads, and if you were to bid right now, you'd be the winner right now.

You can SAY that all the auctions will be a certain way but the FACT is most up right now are NOT.

Also, the auction you lost had nothing UNfriendly, or DIShonorable about it one bit. You simply were outbid.

Rick

BW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BTW, thanks to all who gave me some support, even if ya didn't agree with my position. wink

Last edited by BW; 03/31/07.

Brian

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Methinks you can read sign......grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys do leave an easy trail, I'll grant you that.

Rick

BW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
For example, MOST of the "auctions" up right now are actually Buy It Now ads, and if you were to bid right now, you'd be the winner right now.

Therefore they aren't part of this conversation, as they are nothing more than fancy 'I'll take it' ads.

You can SAY that all the auctions will be a certain way but the FACT is most up right now are NOT.

Well given I just browsed through all 6 pages of auctions, and not a single one had multiple bids placed, I'd say you should review your facts.

The lack of active bidding history is a sure sign of how things are going to go down. I suspected it on the auction I was involved with, and I was right.

Brian

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brian:

There are none so blind as those that will not see.

Guess why most of the auctions have no bids?

Because most of them are Buy It Now ads, just like Free Classifieds, which is what a lot of guys coming over from FC are wanting to do, and the minute someone puts a bid (or says "I'll Take It") the auction is over, closed, no longer listed for you to see, and the bidder wins it.

Dude, you got outbid fair and square. Get over it.

Rick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should have just entered your maxium bid initially. I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. You placed a bid, didn't check back when it was due to close, and got out bid.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ken,
Your Redhawk on auctions looks sweet. Worth a look.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brian:

I apologize for that stupid "none so blind" comment. That was not necessary.

Truth is, I'm a little mad right now at a few things and people, and I probably should be staying off this thread until I cool off.

As I said, I understand you're disappointed, and I would be too. I still think you got outbid fair and square, but, like I said, I apologize for the way my last couple posts have sounded, and I'm done.

I hope you give the AUCTIONS another shot, and maybe stick with the "Buy It Now" ads where there is no real "bidding," just a price tag and an "I'll Take It," just like Free Classifieds.

Peace dude.

Rick

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
BW,

I'm not a bidder, I like the "Buy it now" option, but the few times when bidding I always enter the MAX I will pay for the item. If I don't get it than there is no problem.

Always enter the max you are willing to pay and all will be fine.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 54 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,653
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.