Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I run Redding for everything. Never had a problem, ever, period, end of story! Best dies made in there price range. Bold statement but true, even if it’s my truth...RCBS make inferior dies. There tolerances are sketchy. There stems aren’t perfectly centered most of the time. There threads are rough and have a lot of burs that cause binding initially. They just suck!

I’ve bought more rifles where a seller includes his dies usually RCBS Dies and some brass, bullets and what not...And every fricken time I examine a RCBS die it’s got something wrong with it. I bought a few rifles where Redding dies were a part of the deal. Sure they needed to be cleaned but they were in perfect working order...RCBS make cheap schit for reloading....Yes, I feel much better bitching. If you love your RCBS good for you and GFY 😁😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup. I'm going that way too. Buy once, cry once.

I have a couple of RCBS die sets and fortunately they are fine, but I've found Redding to be THE schitt. Their Premium Deluxe die sets are the best deal going. I just picked up a set to replace another brand of .223 dies I have. I also updated another deluxe 3-die set of Redding dies with a carbide sizer button and a micrometer seating stem. So that set is now just like the premium sets offered in the black box.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Redding....less runout every time. Swapped out my RCBS dies for Redding years ago.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I I have some of each, Redding’s are better I think.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still using the same RCBS dies that I bought almost 40 years ago. I've had a decapping rod break, but that's pretty much been it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I'm still using the same RCBS dies that I bought almost 40 years ago. I've had a decapping rod break, but that's pretty much been it.

Buy some newer ones, I think you would be disappointed.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have a wide variety of dies in my collection. For example, in just FL size dies for 308 Winchester I have Lee, RCBS, Redding, Forster, Hornady and there may be a Lyman hanging around in one of my storage boxes. They all treat brass a little differently. I've done a lot of measuring and comparing in my time. From what I've seen the name on the outside of the die box isn't quite the predictor of results some would have us believe.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Redding is great and their customer service is awesome too.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I run Lee's as my preference....
but for most calibers I load for, I also have Redding or RCBS in the same caliber...
and often all three...

my still preferred way of brass prep before priming...

Lee Collet Neck Sizer... then Redding Body die.. or substitute another caliber die, with the spindle removed..
such as a 260 Rem die, makes a great 243 body die.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I slum a few RCBS but much prefer Redding...

Public landowner...
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
All things considered there (their? they're?) are a lot of other things to worry about in this man's world.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
All things considered there (their? they're?) are a lot of other things to worry about in this man's world.

Amen. Some people just look for something to bitch about.
Don't like RCBS? Buy something else and move on with life.

Oh and by the way, I've been killing game with ammo made from RCBS dies since about 1985, and my dad since about 1970. They work just fine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow! Not the responses (until the end) that I anticipated.

Last edited by 5sdad; 02/18/19.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have mostly RCBS and all the ancillary stuff. Most of it is older, but I have loaded a lot of different ammo with it. Never had one elk complain or get up and runaway after being shot with ammo loaded with it. A little adjustment and I turn out ammo with .001-.002 runabout.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Pretty pathetic that a grown man cannot express himself without using the foulest language, not civil nor gentlemanly at all. Expressing disdain with something is fine, resorting to vulgarity is pretty juvenile.

Last edited by gunswizard; 02/18/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started reloading in 2000 with RCBS dies and have bought many sets over the years. Yes, I've had some problems, but it was mostly operator error. The one exception was the 30-06 X-Die. It regularly broke and had to be sent back several times before I bought a regular decap/sizing die and have not had any problem since. I've run thousands of rounds through my RCBS carbide pistol dies without a hitch.

Most of the dies I've bought over the past 5 years have been Lee. It isn't so much that I find them better, but rather they give comparable results at a better price. At the recommendation of folks here on the 'Fire, I've started using Lee Collet Dies where practical.

One thing that I will fault RCBS for is their design of the crimping feature on their standard rifle sets. I tried every which way to use as intended, and always crushed cases. I finally resorted to backing of the bullet seating plug and doing the crimp as a separate step, and they worked fine. However, I've since moved away from crimping rifle loads, and the one remaining (30-30) I use the Lee Factory Crimp die, and it is a marvel. I use Lee Factory Crimp Dies in all my pistol loadings.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Pretty pathetic that a grown man cannot express himself without using the foulest language, not civil nor gentlemanly at all. Expressing disdain with something is fine, resorting to vulgarity is pretty juvenile.

GWiZ, I apologize for offending you with the my thread title. Hopefully you don’t ever walk upstairs to the top. Your sensitivity to strong language would cause you to faint. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Maybe in your world, but not mine! When I’m holding a new custom build rifle that finally landed, and all components are in front of me to start loading for a not readily available chambering, and this RCBS die that the seller said was “good to go” that I paid extra for, and the dang FL die has a bent stem rendering it unusable. Had to order a new Redding die on a Sunday, won’t be here until Wednesday-Thursday...I should have had a couple of range sessions for load development done before then...So yeah, in your world, not a big deal. For me it sucked...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by winchester70

Amen. Some people just look for something to bitch about.
Don't like RCBS? Buy something else and move on with life.

Oh and by the way, I've been killing game with ammo made from RCBS dies since about 1985, and my dad since about 1970. They work just fine.

Good for you! Maybe you take better care of your RCBS dies and handle them with gentle care. Apparently a lot of other loaders don’t and pass them along broke, which is always an RCBS, not Redding die...Telling, ain’t it. 😎

“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Maybe in your world, but not mine! When I’m holding a new custom build rifle that finally landed, and all components are in front of me to start loading for a not readily available chambering, and this RCBS die that the seller said was “good to go” that I paid extra for, and the dang FL die has a bent stem rendering it unusable. Had to order a new Redding die on a Sunday, won’t be here until Wednesday-Thursday...I should have had a couple of range sessions for load development done before then...So yeah, in your world, not a big deal. For me it sucked...😎

There are possible work arounds. What is the cartridge in question?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 63 invisible), 16,319 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,192
Posts18,543,457
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.