Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#13583662 02/20/19
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
In over 50 years of hunting, I've never found a need for a gut hook...until this year. I got an elk on a steep hill, belly down. I couldn't move it myself and had to gut it where it was. With the innards pushing down on the belly and being in a terrible position, a gut hook would have been invaluable.
I have several really good knives and have no intention of buying another just to get a hook that I might never need again, but I saw some of these disposable hooks in a store, a 3-pack for $10. Has anyone tried them? They weigh nothing and if they work, I'll buy a pack just to put in my day pack.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dorsal cut the hide. Skin down just below the knees. Take the meat off that side. Flip, repeat, leave the guts, hide, and bones on the hill.

Gut-hooks mostly have far too narrow a throat, plug with hide, and stop cutting.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've never had any use for one either, but could see where one might come in handy in the situation you describe. I've never seen the disposable job you show, but for that kind of money, you can't go wrong.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have find them invaluable in dressing an early morning kill of an animal that has been stuffing himself all night. Just a tidy way to open them up without puncturing gut or bladder. I used a knife for a couple of years with a gut hook on the back. Gut hook part worked ok, but it was in the way for much of the rest of the dressing out job. Don't use that one anymore.
Not seen the disposable tool you show, but looks like an excellent idea. I'll buy a pack if I see them.
I am an advocate of complete and tidy field dressing.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Friend showed me the outdoor edge zip blade (fixed blade version ) and I have a handful now . It’s legit

Blade profile lends itself to more than just unzipping the hide

Last edited by jmd025; 02/20/19.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Amazon has them for cheaper than what I saw in the store.

Dorsal cut the hide. Skin down just below the knees. Take the meat off that side. Flip, repeat, leave the guts, hide, and bones on the hill.

I've done it gutless on 4 or 5 elk and 2 moose. I'll never do another one. Yes, it's easy, but boning meat before it cools allows the muscle fibers to shrink and that makes it TOUGH. The toughest animals I've ever eaten were all done gutless. Since I quit doing it about 5 years ago, I've never had a tough one. I let them go into rigor before boning them. Read up on cold shortening.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a gerber gut hook that uses the same blades as you do in a box knife. I've used it for 15 years, just replace the blade after use. Much less worry about puncturing stomach, gut, etc... Better to have and not need, then to need it and not have it.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jmd025
Friend showed me the outdoor edge zip blade (fixed blade version ) and I have a handful now . It’s legit

Blade profile lends itself to more than just unzipping the hide
That looks like it would have worked in my situation. I needed to get a 2d hand in there to push the gut away from the hide and I couldn't do it. It took me forever to open it up without cutting the gut.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have one of these. It uses a utility knife blade and works well.

Gerber Vital Zip

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve never hunted elk but I love the gut hook for cleaning deer. They really speed the process.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The Wyoming knife is similar and Gerber put another out years ago. RC is correct on tough meat. I do the gutless method,but leave the leg bones in. I have been in a situation a few times where I had to gut the animal in order to move it around. Still have to debone the back strap though.

The gutless method is directed more to not having to splitting the spine saving possible contamination of CWD. Years ago CPW advised not going very far up the neck also in order to stay away from lymph glands

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/20/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Gut hooks are like 6.5 Creedmoors, I won’t say they don’t work, I just haven’t ever needed one...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Will ditto several posts.

1. In that situation bone out the critter from whatever is up and work down. Been there...

2. Gut hook is a lousy name for the tool in this topic. Hide zipper might be better. If big enough across the gap, they are good for making straight cuts in the hide when needed for tanning or taxidermy. They have not been as good IME for opening the gut cavity. One of the best "gut hooks" I have ever seen was the first one I ever saw, some 50 years ago that a taxidermist had made for his own use. I watched him make straight cuts with it to begin skinning a bear.

3. All but one gut hook I've tried, including some homemade ones, have an opening way too small to do the job. The only good commercially made gut hook I have is one of the blades in my Alaska Blade Trader set. It is likely an inch or more across the curve of the sharp hook, and it is the only I've seen that has a big enough one big enough across the gap that deer hide does not ball up and stop the cutting.

Last edited by Okanagan; 02/20/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just takes a bit of practice. I use a gut hook every time I open them up. It's one sure slice, with a slight pull outward. The rounded nub rides inside as a guide, and the blade opens them up like a zipper. They work very well. Doing it with straight blade is much more tedious, and a lot slower. And yes you are right about letting rigor leave the meat first, much better meat as an end result.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I have one of these. It uses a utility knife blade and works well.

Gerber Vital Zip

This is better to me. I try to avoid anything disposable if I can. I thought gut hooks were for people that didn't know how to use a knife but have become a convert as they are faster and neater. They also save the edge on my knives as cutting hair and hide dulls blades faster especially on an old muddy hog. I still don't like the looks of knives with gut hooks but on a hatchet they look practical to me. I have round diamond hones for wood working chisels and these touch a gut hook edge fast.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They're handy for guttin and doin legs, just like a zipper...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I make knives and find them unsightly to the classic lines of a blade. I have never done an Elk in the position of the OP, in that case, a gut hook would seem invaluable.
On deer I mostly use the 2 finger method, pressing up on the inner part of the hide while keeping it clear of the gut, and letting the knife slide between the 2 fingers. Word of caution move slow and pay attention, I have opened more then a deer belly more than once with this method. smile

Last edited by j2dogs; 02/20/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A sharp knife and index finger are all I've ever used, and I've worked up elk I had tied to the hill to keep them from going down another half mile of so. Really "sharp" makes an easy job of near every task. KISS

Last edited by 1minute; 02/20/19.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Amazon has them for cheaper than what I saw in the store.

An elk hunter who supports gun control, interesting.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman
They're handy for guttin and doin legs, just like a zipper...

YES, and as those who’ve ‘used’ them said, gut hooks are faster, easier, & cleaner to use.

I used my first gut hook in 1995. I won’t be without one.

Jerry

ps I’ll try to post a pic of my fav gut hook on a straight knife tomorrow.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,187
Posts18,523,903
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.