K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I do not hunt or eat them.

Just not my thing.

Really could care less about shooting a deer anymore either.

An elk every other year or so, fits me nicely.

For now anyway. I see a future decline in that activity too.

But I’m all for folks shootin’ turkeys! And having fun doin’ it!!!!!

Yep.

The older I get...

I do hunt and shoot hogs and coyotes though.

Oh I do enjoy the pig hunting!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have never tried it but it’s on my list. I’ve never hog hunted either but going to see a buddy in Texas one of these days and fix that.

That turkey looks like good eats...

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by dale06
I’ve arrowed about 35 the past 20 years. Arrowed two in Ks last week.
I really enjoy hunting them, why, I don’t know.
Maybe it’s the gobbling at sunrise, the calling, and the interaction with decoys.
I’ll be after them again next spring.

Dale, do you call them in to a popup blind or just use natural flora to cover your draw? Of course, if only one gobbler is fanning for a deek i have no problem taking a Texas heart shot.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I don’t hunt them and have no desire to eat a tough stringy bird. It just never interested me. I’ve got a ranch that’s lousy with birds. They’ll come right through our elk camp and make themselves at home. Also have a bunch around the house too. I have buddies that go apeshit to hunt them and don’t begrudge anyone for hunting them but usually by mid April I’m focused on getting the gear ready for fishing season since halibut season opens in May along with spot prawns.

Good luck to all you turkey hunters. 👍

You don't know what you are missing...

[Linked Image]

Looks great. What do you annoint that breast meat in pls.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I hunt turkeys 'cause I can stab them with a sharp stick from the living room window. Well...ok, I've never actually done it. The yard turkeys are a bit too tame to hunt, at least in good conscience. It is fun to rile up the toms by gobbling at them, though.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Like Dale, I also arrowed two in KS this past weekend. It's an easy hunt, and for me it kind of fills the void between end of calling coyotes and the beginning of whackin' prairie dogs, and they're good eatin'.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
It's not spring until you hear a gobbler thunder.

Gets me out of the house and moving around.

Plus ticks need fed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's fun, exciting, and for me anyway, low pressure. Never took a big gobbler until last year, just jakes (although the last jake was pretty dang big at 14.5 pounds, oven ready). Last year I did well, calling in two big ones. I'm pretty convinced that calling isn't that hard and depends more on being in the right place at the right time and cadence more than perfect sounds. Missed the first couple of days here due to weather and yard chores, but will hit it in the morning on my nearby public land.

Common here to see a dozen or more big gobblers out in fields along the road. In the hunting woods, not so much. Access to private land is hard to get between liberal landowners and family connections, so public it is. The fun is what matters.

Properly prepared, even a big one is very tasty. We got a number of tasty meals out of that 22.5 pounder last year.

What fresh Hell is this?
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I have shot tons of turkeys over the years and it continues to be my favorite hunt. There is nothing like hearing Gobblers in the roost in the early morning, before light. Getting within range and setting up decoys to call them adds to the adventure.

This year is one of the best, if not the best with the turkey success and reactions to our calls and decoys. This year in Montana, you can legally shoot up to 12 turkeys...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shrap, looks like your shooting the EZV sight on that bow...how you like it. I put one on last year but didn't manage to hit anything with it, not sure I can blame the sight though.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I love being outside in the spring to see “green up”. Love seeing sunrises. Loving hearing birds. Loving chasing them around and being humiliated by something with a brain the size of a pea.

Ok that last part not so much...

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We have a lot of them.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 04/17/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunt the Merriam's here because it is very challenging to find and bag them in this high altitude relatively dry part of the Southwest. Watering places are scarce, feed is thin, and they are VERY wary. No one here sets up feeders etc. to draw them - we just go out hunting. It is work, takes patience and skill, and becomes very enjoyable.once you get the hang of the challenges. It makes elk hunting feel easy in comparison. Cooked correctly, turkeyt is good eating.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like eating wild Turkey. I would never hunt them in the spring. Those guys are too serious about it. I shoot them in the fall. South Dakota used to allow 10 tags. That was fun. Trying to get out ahead of a big flock and wait with the shotgun. Rifle works great too, as long as you hit them in the right spot and dont blow them up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our limit in Kentucky is two a year, and I am usually tagged out by now. It's been the worst hunting I've ever experienced. The Mennonites have ruined the deer and turkey hunting in my local area. They over hunt it, and the turkeys that survive become extremely call shy, which means ambushing them is about the only method that works. I've had one opportunity, but the bird was just out of range.

Also, the population is way down. I've heard a variety of reasons why, ranging from disease to too many predators. I suspect it is a combination of a number of things, with the loss of habitat here, and the over hunting being the main factors.

It wouldn't take much for me to just give it up, and I've always liked turkey hunting over deer hunting.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Same reason people shoot up heroin or smoke crack, it’s the ultimate high to me and you just want more once you experience it and get hooked. Killing one is just a bonus, the hunt itself is the thrill. I am not talking about shooting one in a field with a rifle or shooting one over a feeder, but calling one up within shotgun range and watching him put on a show with gobbling, spitting and drumming, and strutting. Smoked a little weed in college, but I couldn’t imagine getting higher than a good turkey hunt, trying to control your breathing and keeping your heart in your chest it’s beating so fast. Love that feeling.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The thrill is always in the hunt, not in the kill.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our season opened on Monday. Not going to even mess with it until may.

Seems turkey numbers are exploding in the west. Can kill 3 birds in WA's spring season. 12 is crazy!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My cousin sent a picture of a bird he killed yesterday. The shotgun he used is a Colt 1883, with black powder loads.

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nothing sounds so large as a gobbler in the early morning when everything is quiet.

I enjoy trying to see if i can out smart them eyeballs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
James Jr,
Numbers are way down in our part of the State too. I don’t hunt them anymore, but a few years ago it was nothing to see dozens in the crop fields around my house with a lot of strutting going on; not so in the last couple of years. I don’t know what happened to them. Not over-hunted for sure and no Mennonites.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, AB2506, 300_savage, 21 invisible), 17,491 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,997
Posts18,540,254
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
4 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.