Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've never owned a down bag and am thinking about investing in a high quality bag.

I understand this is a relative question but generally speaking, how long will a down bag last before it really starts to lose it's rating, assuming it's stored correctly and cleaned / dried when needed?

When it does start to loose its rating, can it be sent in to have new fill added? What does that typically cost? i.e. is this cheaper than just buying a new bag, etc

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Down bags will loose far less of the rating than synthetic. A synthetic can loose 30 percent in a season. A good quality down bag, you could have for 20 years with little change. I've not really even noticed much difference in rating , as long as they are well made. I have a preference for Western Mountaineering bags, or Feathered Friends, however you do not need to spend that amount. I would look for Goose Down though, and good draft collars, and good zippers which are not always there on less expensive bags ... or I would just buy a Western Mountaineering bag and be done with it.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a down bag that has served me for the last 25yrs in North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. There are two requirements to making them last.
1. Do not store the bag in the compression sack. Instead buy a large plastic tote and when not in use store the bag in the tote.
2. Do not allow the bag to get wet. Pick a camp spot with good run off. Buy a good quality ground sheet for when you are camping. I use two, the first goes under the bag and the second acts as a tent unless the weather is really bad. When backpacking with the bag in the compression sack make sure the bag is also stored in a second water proof "dry sack" or use a trash can bag. These are also handy for acting as pillows.

Hope this answers your questions. I would recommend talking to the folks at a quality camping supply because you are looking for the best compromise betwee light weight and durability and they should be able to point you in the right direction. The folk at REI are generally very knowledgeable.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks guys... yeah, looking at a Western Mountaineering bag and just want to understand what kind of life I can get out of that investment.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kevin_T

I would just buy a Western Mountaineering bag and be done with it.

This is good Advice. I own two WM bags. Use one for cold weather and one for not so cold weather. They are both about ten years old and as good as new now. Kevin has probably used his longer than I have used mine. So he probably has a better handle on the subject.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Considered WM bags, but their weight-to-warmth ratio made them too heavy IMO.

Frequency of use and conditions will determine its lifespan.

Proper storage and keeping the bag scrupulously clean and dry inside and out. Bag liners, synthetic and silk are available that provide a barrier to soil and body oils, etc. and also add a few degrees warmth. DWR applied properly to exterior of bag reduces water absorption, spills, water vapor and frost.

When possible, personal hygiene and fresh sleeping attire is beneficial when turning in for the night. 15 minutes in direct sunlight at conclusion of trip is worthwhile for the bag to maintain its freshness and staying dry when stored.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Joe,
I am curious about this. I have 3 WM bags: A Kodiak, which(for me) is good to about -5*F and weighs(my scales) right at 3 lbs. I also have a Puma which, on my scales, weighs in at 3 lbs 14oz, which I have taken down to the rated -25*F with no issues, and finally, an Alpinlite, which I haven't weighed, but does great down to the rated 20*F.
These seem like pretty good numbers to me.
What do you use, if I may ask?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that all these bags are 6 feet in length.

Last edited by 340boy; 04/29/19. Reason: Feet not inches!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have 2 old down bags that are more than 40 years old. Just in the last few years have they started losing efficiency...but it could be that my old bones are losing efficiency, not the bags. They weren't always stored right. I had them quite a while before I heard about storing them fluffed, not compressed. This winter I bought a 10F quilt and I LOVE that thing.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you are someone who uses it regularly a WM is money well spent and will last a long time as long as it is taken care of and stored properly. They are a lot of money for someone who uses it once or twice every other year or so and you could get by with less.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a Herters down bag I got when I was 12 for Christmas. It has traveled with me in the vehicle in the winter everywhere since. Slept in it many nights camping and hunting. It is faded and has been sewed and patched a couple of times. It will be 46 this Christmas. I would say they last a while. and Mine is what would be considered a cheap one.

IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by 340boy

Joe,
I am curious about this. I have 3 WM bags: A Kodiak, which(for me) is good to about -5*F and weighs(my scales) right at 3 lbs. I also have a Puma which, on my scales, weighs in at 3 lbs 14oz, which I have taken down to the rated -25*F with no issues, and finally, an Alpinlite, which I haven't weighed, but does great down to the rated 20*F.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that all these bags are 6" in length.

Me too - I'd like to see what kind of bag he's using.

Quilts sound nice and all, but I've heard a lot of people say they can be really fiddly, and to be honest I'll gladly accept the weight penalty to be able to come back to camp and have one less thing to worry with. Get in the bag, zip it up, sleep.

For the record, I use a WM Versatile. Best zipper I've ever used. Its a hell of an investment but I consider it like my binoculars - if all goes well, I'm buying once and thats it... if I buy another bag, it'll be a summer bag.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by JeffRaines

Joe,

Quilts sound nice and all, but I've heard a lot of people say they can be really fiddly, and to be honest I'll gladly accept the weight penalty to be able to come back to camp and have one less thing to worry with. Get in the bag, zip it up, sleep.

For the record, I use a WM Versatile. Best zipper I've ever used. Its a hell of an investment but I consider it like my binoculars - if all goes well, I'm buying once and thats it... if I buy another bag, it'll be a summer bag.

That is fair assessment. Sure I can find bags that claim to be lighter at the same temp but .. claiming and being is one thing. Yes the zipper on the WM is nailed. May seem worth it to save a couple hundred bucks until you need to exit your bag in the night and get back in without being 100 percent awake after fiddling with the zipper.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffRaines

Joe,

I have a UGQ quilt. If you have problems with one coming untucked, this one can be used with as many as 3 straps to keep it in. I've never needed more than one, though. My old bags were a nightmare for the zippers getting snagged. I don't know how many times I laid in bed at 2 am with the bladder screaming while I tried to get the #$%^&* zipper unstuck. No more. I just throw the quilt off and roll out. I'm a side sleeper. I fasten the strap behind me and lay on the edge of the quilt and it stays tucked nicely. In front of me, I just pull it in tight. I've never had a problem even when it's real cold.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rock Chuck,
I've never tried a quilt, so your experiences sound interesting. I also am a side-sleeper, and have tried a variety of different shaped sleeping bags(narrow mummy, wide mummy, semi-rectangular) before settling on the "wide-mummy" bag style. I may have to try a quilt at some point, though I am satisfied with my current choices, especially in extreme cold.

I am hoping that SheriffJoe will chime in on this soon,as I would like to find out what his choice(s) are?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

Seems contrary to my experience. I'm very curious what you discovered that is warmer per weight. I'd also like to know more about the conditions you tested it in. I might need to go shopping. smile Thanks!

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Seems contrary to my experience. I'm very curious what you discovered that is warmer per weight. I'd also like to know more about the conditions you tested it in. I might need to go shopping. smile Thanks!

Tom

Marmot. 2lb 9oz -10degF newer version 0deg

North Face - Mount Shuksan - tent camping above White Salmon Glacier March 2017 snow

North Ridge - Forbidden Peak - bivouac Boston Glacier April 2017 clear cold then snow

West Ridge - Forbidden Peak - bivouac Boston Basin below West Ridge Couloir May 2017 warm clear then rainy

Northeast Buttress - Mount Goode - tent camp North Fork Bridge Creek May 2017 clear windy cold

Ice Cliff Glacier - Mount Stuart - tent camp Stuart Lake Jan 2018 snow

Colchuck Peak/Dragontail Peak via Colchuck Glacier - tent camp Colchuck Glacier April 2018 snow

West Ridge - McMillan Spire - tent camp Terror Glacier May 2018 Clear cold

Mount Hood - White River Canyon 7500' Jan 2019 very cold and snowy tent and Feb 2019 bivy sack cloudy warm

Mount Hood - Wy'East Route Jan 2019 tent camp above Meadows lifts snow

Hazomeen CG area in tent Feb 2019 . Rain

Mount Shuksan, Mount Baker, Mount Terror...soon. Bag is clean and looks new.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Tom

North Face - Mount Shuksan - tent camping above White Salmon Glacier March 2017 snow

North Ridge - Forbidden Peak - bivouac Boston Glacier April 2017 clear cold then snow

West Ridge - Forbidden Peak - bivouac Boston Basin below West Ridge Couloir May 2017 warm clear then rainy

Northeast Buttress - Mount Goode - tent camp North Fork Bridge Creek May 2017 clear windy cold

Ice Cliff Glacier - Mount Stuart - tent camp Stuart Lake Jan 2018 snow

Colchuck Peak/Dragontail Peak via Colchuck Glacier - tent camp Colchuck Glacier April 2018 snow

West Ridge - McMillan Spire - tent camp Terror Glacier May 2018 Clear cold

Mount Hood - White River Canyon 7500' Jan 2019 very cold and snowy tent and Feb 2019 bivy sack cloudy warm

Mount Hood - Wy'East Route Jan 2019 tent camp above Meadows lifts snow

Hazomeen CG area in tent Feb 2019 . Rain

Mount Shuksan, Mount Baker, Mount Terror...soon. Bag is clean and looks new.

Joe,
Thanks for the info.

James Elroy Flecker

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

Cool, thanks. Mind if I ask another question .. hopefully not too personal? How tall are you and what do you weigh?

I don't fit in mummy bags. I'm 5'9", 200, and though I'm a little overweight, my doc looked at my weight, his chart, and broke out laughing: "165 max does not apply to you." No kidding. Duh. I could drop to 3% body fat and still have to amputate a couple limbs to make 165. Generally in a normal mummy bag, if I lay flat on my back, it stretches the outer shell so tight the insulation is crushed and I have a cold strip down each side. I'm also slightly claustrophobic when my feet are restrained ala mummy bag. I generally use Western Mountaineering semi-rectangular bags. I have an old Cabela's hollowfill II bag, tapered, but not mummy, which seems to fit me ok even 40 years later. I've messed with quilts a little .. I think they're a net loss for weight/warmth 'cause when I put enough other insulation under them to make up for what they don't have, the total is as heavy as a regular sleeping bag.

I'm always looking for a way to save a few ounces or a few pounds, but it has to work for me, for my build.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by copperking81
I've never owned a down bag and am thinking about investing in a high quality bag.

I understand this is a relative question but generally speaking, how long will a down bag last before it really starts to lose it's rating, assuming it's stored correctly and cleaned / dried when needed?

When it does start to loose its rating, can it be sent in to have new fill added? What does that typically cost? i.e. is this cheaper than just buying a new bag, etc

Gee I had one that was a military down bag made in 1947, that I got out of my dad's mobility bag before he turned it back into the Air Force when he deployed overseas.....that was 1967.. I used it for boy scouts as a kid... and then for many years as an adult...

I finally scrapped it in about 2005 to 2007, as the outter bag was finally falling apart...

it lived in my 4 Runner for decades during winter travel season..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm on year 6 with my marmot down bag. Still works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,415
Posts18,507,197
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.