Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RickF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am looking for information on an 1895 manufactured M1886 in a very rare configuration, helping a friend of the family settle an estate.

Any genuine authorities on 1886 and rare configurations? If so, please PM me. It’s not my rifle so I don’t feel right in showing a lot of photos on the forum, and in all honesty don’t feel like having 20 different guys give me a guess. I can do that. grin

Thanks, laugh

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For the information you're seeking you need to contact the Winchester Museum in Cody Wyoming or the Winchester Arms Collector's Association. Google either to get their contact information.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by gunswizard
For the information you're seeking you need to contact the Winchester Museum in Cody Wyoming or the Winchester Arms Collector's Association. Google either to get their contact information.

Great advice, you will know exactly what you have.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
RickF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys. I have sought out input from both sources, but more input from knowledgeable enthusiasts is never a bad thing.

The rifle is a 1895 manufacture takedown 38-70, so it’s not your typical 45-70.

Last edited by RickF; 07/09/19.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

What kind of input are you looking for? A Cody factory letter would provide the most definitive information available for the gun.

Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

RickF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The Cody letter states the day the serial number was applied to the receiver, the makeup of the rifle when original, and the day it was shipped.

I would like to know how many in that configuration were produced, which Cody will not know as they use the original page-by-page notes, and what current market value may be.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I would think that that type of information would be in the Blue Book of Gun Values. They state % premiums of different calibers and configurations.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

IMHO if you don’t get a Cody Factory Letter for the gun, you will never move off square one. For those who would lay down thousands of $’s for a rare caliber, rare configuration Winchester a factory letter is the definitive statement of originality. Condition is another matter. You’ve obviously done some homework and know it’s a rare caliber (only 830 38-70’s made), but there are so many other factors involved in the potential sale of the gun. Originality, condition and special order features (barrel length and configuration, stock configuration, triggers, deluxe wood, sights, checkering pattern, etc.) are all extremely important to a potential buyer. All of this info with the exception of condition will be available in a factory letter.

Hunter S. Thompson
RickF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I absolutely agree, and have requested the letter.

Thanks for the input.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go to winchestercollector.org and post about it or contact a forum member named Bert H.

He has done numerous surveys on 1886s. He is very knowledgeable.

I know some basics about features, but there are some on that forum who are extremely knowledgeable and Bert H may be at the top of that list.

If you don't want to register over there, let me know what you are asking about and I will be more than happy to post your request or PM Bert.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the above, the only way to get the kind of information that you are seeking.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (222Sako, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 22250rem, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,371
Posts18,506,558
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.