Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
OUCH

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Let me introduce you to a new word seldom used, frowned upon in modern society and claimed to be the downfall of modern society. If you take a look under "D" in the dictionary, you will see a wonderful word called "Discrimination".

It is the most natural trait in all animals, of which we are one, classified as a mammal.

When you walk into a supermarket, you discriminate against all the breakfast cereals you don't like and buy what pleases you. When you bought your car, you discriminated against all the makes and models that you do not like or do not prefer and heaven forbid, you even discriminated against all the colors that were not pleasing to your eye.

When you went out "tom catting" as a mere lad, you discriminated against all the female forms that displeased you. Alchohol is known to permit a widening of tastes, but it is still discrimination in its purest form.

In the animal kingdom, it is socially acceptable, in our subspecies, which does not, nor ever did mean lesser, (a bear is not lesser a bear, nor a caribou lesser a caribou)it has become politically correct, a social disease more common to the US than overseas I can assure you, we are more secretive about our natural instinct, to discriminate.

Well, I am guilty as sin of discrimination against the .35 Whelen. Not because there is anything wrong with it, because there is not, It just does not please me enough, to want one or explore its potential further.

Ever gone on a blind date to find more acne and plastic clothing in one pile than you ever saw in a shopping isle? Guilty. I discriminated against that thereafter too.

Oh, the ultimate discrimination?? Go to the thread on beer.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Aussie..,

Good to see one thing holds true. Alcohol works the same way 'down under' as it does in the States grin

Too old to suffer fools
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
One of natures blessings to be sure.

There is an Aussie Wine company called Linderman's. The company slogun is; "The one purpose of wine is to bring happiness to man".

After that little diversion for which I most humbly apologise, I like the 9.3X62 over the .338 and prefer the .458's over the .375's. If I need a heavy hitter, I want a heavy hitter. If it can be handloaded with structuraly sound bullets offering lighter bullet weight and recoil with flatter trajectory, so much the better.

I still like the .375's but have no place in my battery for them though a classic custom Model 70 in .375 H&H will still turn my head as much as yours. See, there is always room to move.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
There are some persistant rumors about CZ's that keep cropping up in this forum which are, in my experience ,wrong.

The centerfire,big bore rifles 550's DO NOT have plastic followers or anything else for that matter. I own two and have seen or shot a dozen others. Their Varmint model MIGHT but I haven't seen one.

The saftey on the big bore 550's works JUST LIKE the Remington 700 safety ... it IS NOT reversed.

The small bore centerfire action is not the same as the 550 action and the saftey on them IS reversed for some weird reason. I don't have a 527 but my hunting pard has two (.223&.204) and, I believe the detachable mags ARE plastic.

Regarding the 9.3X62 vs the 9.3X74R, every thing I've read and every load manual I have, show identacle balistics for the two rounds. The idea being the 9.3X74 is a rimmed version of the 9.3X62 for use in double rifles. The slightly larger case providing lower pressures for hinged rifles.

Further the .375H&H shoots the same weight bullets as the 9.3 roughly 200fps faster in most cases.

If someone has opposing experience I welcome their response.

Too old to suffer fools
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
a brand new CZ550 in 9.3 x 62 at a gun shop in Tucker GA that I looked at two weeks ago had a black plastic magazine follower, I called the company CZ USA and asked if I buy it will you replace this with a metal follower, the answer was "sorry we cannot get the metal ones anymore". I had my credit card out ready to buy the rifle but a 3% charge on credit purchases and the plastic follwer gave me pause. The other thing that caused me to walk away as the gun store guy insisted that the target in the box was shot at 100 meters, when it was clearly marked 50 meters, I asked CZ about this too and they confirmed 50 meters. I still plan on getting a 9.3 x 62 as it makes more sense to me than a 338WM for my frame and recoil tolerance, but I am still puzzling on what to purchase. If I buy the CZ I will not buy it from the first dealer even if I have to pay more.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
jim..,

Interesting. I have a 9.3 and an '06, my pard has a .270 and a .458 ......no plastic anywhere. Nor on the several I've seen offered for sale. Maybe it's a recent thing. Brownells probably has metal followers, expect any mauser follower will work.

Most credit card companies charge 2% and if a dealer is getting down to low figures he takes that into account. Pretty much a common practice at any place that dickers on price ... not just gun dealers.

Too old to suffer fools
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes I was surprised as well as I had a CZ550 full stock 2-3 years ago with a metal follower. There was no question that it was plastic and there was no question that the guys at CZ USA were not happy about it. 3% extra was a bit more than I wanted to pay this guy anyway. Still want the 9.3 x 62, and the CZ550 is not a bad rifle.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Polymer followers and if fact entire magazines are pretty common now. I suppose they work. I still prefer real metal and real wood.

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in 1976 I bought a Steyr Mannlicer Mod M Professional, One of the first fiberglass stocked rifles. The magazines are Polymer and I never had a bit of trouble or breakage to to wear or what have you. I would not have a problem with the follower in the CZ 9.3 x62. The Polymer they use in firearms in general is very strong and durable. Since its a 98 action or a copy of one, Brownells will be able to fix you up with a follower in metal if it keeps you awake at night.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
OK I buy rifles with "polymer stocks" as well. I was not sure how the "polymer" follower would work in a pinch. I know how the metal one works as I had one. Just guilty of discrimination.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I don't feel a lot of difference in the 9.3x62, 338 Win or the .375. Recoil is a personal thing, some folks can take a lot and others cannot. My tolerances stop at the 40 calibers or perhaps a .458. Not to say that I cannot shoot a .470, 500 or .577 but it takes my concentration not to flinch and that is not a good thing.

BTW the 9.3x62 is legal about everywhere but a few places in RSA. Tanzania has a .375 limit but nobody cares, checks, or even has the ability to tell the difference.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ray,

Good to see you posting here again.

John

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by atkinson
I don't feel a lot of difference in the 9.3x62, 338 Win or the .375. Recoil is a personal thing, some folks can take a lot and others cannot. My tolerances stop at the 40 calibers or perhaps a .458. Not to say that I cannot shoot a .470, 500 or .577 but it takes my concentration not to flinch and that is not a good thing.

BTW the 9.3x62 is legal about everywhere but a few places in RSA. Tanzania has a .375 limit but nobody cares, checks, or even has the ability to tell the difference.

I'm not particularly recoil sensitive. The .338 has more felt recoil -for me- than the 9.3X62. The 9.3 is a bit like my .300H&H with 180gr bullets ... a bit more muzzle rise maybe, but doesn't back up any worse. Shooting off hand the .458 isn't bad either. Speaking of RSA ... all the PH's I met there loved BRNO or CZ rifles ......amazingly none of them were familar with the 9.3X62. Go figger.

The nastiest kicking thing I've ever shot is my 8lb o/u with 3" Winchester High Velocity Turkey loads.

Too old to suffer fools
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
The nastiest kicking thing I've ever shot is my 8lb o/u with 3" Winchester High Velocity Turkey loads.

You really oughta try a Mossberg 835, unported, with 3.5" 12 gauge full-house turkey loads... shocked

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
heres one that gets your attention, at one time there were a few were made in 10 ga 3.5 inch chambering and had a weight in the stock that could be removed,getting the weight down around 7.3 lbs

http://www.richmondsportinggoods.com/new_england_ultra_slug_hunter.htm

Last edited by 340mag; 05/09/07.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by OUTCAST

You really oughta try a Mossberg 835, unported, with 3.5" 12 gauge full-house turkey loads... shocked

I have. Also an H&R single barrel 3.5" 10 ga. with standard loads. Will hold to my opinion that Winchester 3"mag HIGH VELOCITY loads are the baddest things I've ever shot. By mistake I picked up some Win HV 3.5" mags. They never got shot...gave'em away... so I'll never know how bad they are.and that's O.K. with me!!!!

Too old to suffer fools
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 340mag
heres one that gets your attention, at one time there were a few were made in 10 ga 3.5 inch chambering and had a weight in the stock that could be removed,getting the weight down around 7.3 lbs

http://www.richmondsportinggoods.com/new_england_ultra_slug_hunter.htm

Ouch!

I shot some turkey loads in my Rem SP-10, these were 3 1/2" full power and that gun is around 9#. To me it's worse than my M-70 Super Express in .375 H&H. I shot a buddy's Merkel .500 NE, 570 gr. bullets at 2,150 fps. Big push back, but less slap than the SP-10 with those turkey loads. Only the 10 ga. gave me a headache... frown

DF

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Wow, 2007.... grin

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
BCBrian, in my house we have a CZ550 FS in 9.3x62 and a left handed 375 Ruger Hawkeye. Both rifles were bought at the same time. The CZ is mine and the 375 is my son's (he is left handed).

He so far has only shot 235 g. bullets at 2800 fps + (if I remember correctly) and I shoot 286 g. bullets at just over 2400 fps out of my 20.5" barrel. My load is close to maximun, his is not. He has more velocity potential in his rifle.

Because of stock shape and recoil pad differences there is a difference in recoil if you shoot one rifle and then the other.

For me the Bavarian stock on the CZ gives more muzzle rise, while the much straighter stock on the Ruger has less. But felt recoil is about the same to both me and my son, they just come back differently.

The CZ came with a thick soft pad and the Ruger has the classic Ruger hard pad. We use a slip on pad for the Ruger, I replaced the CZ pad with a 0.6" Decelerator in part to shorten the LOP without cutting the wood. My son expects to replace his pad.

He can load his rifle to higher velocities -- with greater recoil -- and mine carries 5 in the magazine to 3 for his. It depends on what your preference is.

My CZ has a 3 position safety that you push forward to fire. I consider it every bit as good as the M70 type safeties that I've paid gunsmiths good money to put on a couple of Mauser actions so the rants about the CZ safeties leave me scratching my head. My follower is metal and came that way.

I like my son's Ruger a lot, I like my CZ a lot also but a straighter stock would give me a better cheek weld with a scope. But with the NECG peep sight the CZ stock is perfect. My CZ is very accurate but we haven't shot the Ruger enough to know. (my son is in another state going to school so rarely has time to shoot).

My rifle weighs less than his with scopes of about the same weight but only about 4-5 oz.

I like to shoot the 9.3x62 in part because shooting it makes a 7.5 lb. 30-06 seem pleasant. I am a recoil wuss and while you know when it goes off it is not especially punishing, but it helps to stay in practice to deal with over 30 ft. lbs. of recoil. In my opinion either rifle is an excellent choice, just decide on which factor (higher velocity potential, or greater magazine capacity) is more important to you.

My CZ [Linked Image]

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,237
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.