Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
More likely that 50 years of depression and anxiety shaped his life, and he used marijuana to cope.

No, The dope started the ball rolling. I have a friend that is a psychiatrist and works in a large university as a counselor for students with problems. The majority of his work load is students just like the one in this original post. They were great students with a good future ahead of them, and then they started partying, smoking pot and drinking. Every one in this category started out making good grades and by the second year they were contemplating dropping out. He said the ones that only drank on occasion didn't have near the cognitive problems that the dope smokers had. Don't believe for a minute it doesn't hurt people. The new dope isn't the "giggle weed" from the 70s. It is a real potent drug these days.

Last edited by reivertom; 12/25/19.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Steve
I'm sure the pot's a big part of it, but mom and dad should have kicked him out of their basement 48 years ago.

I know of a gal who lived with her folks her whole life except for college, never got married. She got a big time job and became a millionaire. She took care of her folks who are gone now, and she takes care of her brother, sister, their kids, and other relatives financially who left home when they were "supposed" to.

I guess you just never know.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Guy at work is a dumbass.
Talks stoopid and slow.
Admitted recently that he smokes daily.

Naaaaaaawwwwwwwww.

They always sound the same LOL.

Know some very successful people that smoke weed.
They do NOT wake n bake.

Again, moderation in all things.

Booze, weed or whatever................over do it and pay the price.
It aint healthy.

I'll be downing a few beers this weekend. Older, can't party like I used to.
Proly be a six pack and crash.

Last edited by hookeye; 12/25/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've known some who were life long pot users, and although they seemed to be "normal," whatever that means, if you ever tried having a conversation with them, you would notice something wasn't just right. Those folks worked, and some even lived in a nice house, but you could see the damage that years of marijuana use had done to them.

I don't doubt your word. I spent Christmas Eve last night at my Uncle's place. Guy is a millionaire. He also has cirrhosis of the liver as a result of pickling it with beer for the last 5 decades living as a functioning alcoholic. Inhaling smoke of any kind is a bad thing. Alcohol is a poison. The ideal things to put into your body is pure water, meat, fruit and vegetables. Of course very few people are going to do that and if laws were passed mandating it, rebellion against them would be off the charts.

Suppose alcohol were illegal. My Uncle probably would have gotten caught and sent to jail, fined, or had some kind of criminal record which would have hindered him in his life. Might not have been able to get a job or a start in life. Who knows. Could have been ruined.

I see it the same way with weed. Most people that mess with it probably are able to function. They are likely gonna pay a physical price at some point just like my Uncle is paying now. Spending gobs of taxpayer money trying to stop them and ruining there lives and creating criminal syndicates over a weed just seems more and more insane the more I think about it. I am about as far from a pothead as you can get but after much thought have concluded that prohibitions against it cause more problems than it itself does.

Simple fact of the matter is some people's physiology is wired for addiction. A certain percentage of them are gonna wind up useless drunks and potheads. Just like a certain percentage of people are going to use firearms to murder someone or commit suicide which is why well meaning useful idiots for the totalitarian commies want to ban them. Yes I went there.

There are a lot of things that may not be a good idea but prohibitions against them don't work if there is an entrenched demand for them. Its just like communism. That don't work either but people still insist on trying it.

What does work is liberty. Its messy as hell sometimes but it works.

spot on.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Over 30+ years I’ve seen nearly 4,000 students of mine graduate, all sorts of outcomes. It is a mystery to me why one kid in a given family might excel, and another not so much. Same parents, same family.

Long as they keep their word, treat people right, and don’t lie or steal I’m good with it.

One thing interested me in”Band of Brothers”, same again in “The Pacific” was the many different personalities and outcomes of those men after the war. I hear of a guy living alone his whole life in his parent’s house and I wonder how he might have excelled under different circumstances.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Lost a couple relatives to booze (alcoholics).

Lost one so far to weed (nursing home- burnt and cracked psyche).
Got two others that are pretty well fried, work factory jobs...........functional retards.

Maybe weed makes you drop IQ.............maybe by a fixed amount.
Those higher up at the start make the drop but end up above the threshold of dumbass.

Those at the line at the start................

I dunno.

Do know a lot of art/music folks and the wake n bake guys all are stoopid.
When they retire they're gonna be in a lot of trouble.
Can't do anything right.

Like forget to pay bills.
Make 100K a yr and get lights and water shut off.

Too funny.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i use to know a county judge who smoked.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have seen a lot old guys who cannot complete projects, but imagine they could and drag more stuff home. They cannot even organize their stuff and live in a state of deferred maintenance and hoarding.

I have seen young men that behave the same way, with the help of pot smoking.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Putting weed use aside it’s hard to attribute perceived future success by who was considered a hit in high school and later turned out to be be anything but. Success is more equated to drive. Sometimes high school has a way of interpreting popularity with future success. Nothing could be further from the truth. Drive is the key and rejection is a potent motivator. No one ever made it without feeling rejection multiple times. It’s easy to give up, it’s tough to make a stand and fight for your self confidence and belief in yourself.

Yes drugs and alcohol can play a destructive role in creating the crutch and excuse for your non accomplishments, especially at a young age. Some can use weed as an insight to accomplish things others would never think about or perceive. In most cases it’s rare and typically prolonged weed use at a young age leads to non accomplishment and a disconnect of time and realistic judgement. To often and especially for men time gets away, 16 years old becomes 20, then 25, then 30 with no clear path. Nothing worse than a 30 year old male with no clear path, especially in today’s work environment. It’s easy for some in that situation to smoke and drink their lives away and just give up. This is where parents and family have typically had enough as that cycle in a 30 year old plus is hard to break. It takes tough love, many parents fail as they can’t stop helping their child whether 5 or 55 years old.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by RAS
More likely that 50 years of depression and anxiety shaped his life, and he used marijuana to cope.

Agree. There is more going on there then weed.

And the 24 isn’t the place to properly diagnose it.

Are you kidding me?
The Fire is the perfect place to dissect and diagnose anybody or anything!
We know schiit! smile

2 answers:

• creedmoor
  • superchicken

https://youtu.be/7Q6sUP4NHVs

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wanna see what 50 years of smoking dope will do for you, just look at Willie Nelson !

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Congratulations. You have a keen eye

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Wanna see what 50 years of smoking dope will do for you, just look at Willie Nelson !

That may be so but he’s got some money in the bank even after the IRS clipped him. I’d say he’s done exactly what he wanted to do in life. Humps and bumps, sure but who escapes those in life. He’s mid eighties and still on stage.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by reivertom

No, The dope started the ball rolling. I have a friend that is a psychiatrist and works in a large university as a counselor for students with problems. The majority of his work load is students just like the one in this original post. They were great students with a good future ahead of them, and then they started partying, smoking pot and drinking. Every one in this category started out making good grades and by the second year they were contemplating dropping out. He said the ones that only drank on occasion didn't have near the cognitive problems that the dope smokers had. Don't believe for a minute it doesn't hurt people. The new dope isn't the "giggle weed" from the 70s. It is a real potent drug these days.

It starts out as recreation and soon becomes a life style that they cannot break. Yes; pot is addictive, even more so that alcohol.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rossimp

That may be so but he’s got some money in the bank even after the IRS clipped him. I’d say he’s done exactly what he wanted to do in life. Humps and bumps, sure but who escapes those in life. He’s mid eighties and still on stage.

yep, and rolls around the country in a friggen motor home that's worth WAY more than my 7 acre RANCH here in the outnack of California. Probably worth more than the house, property, vehicles, tractor, outdoor gear, dog training equipment, chicken coop and chickens, and the firewood in the shed combined.

Let's not forget he generates revenue for all those members of his band, the roadies, and the promoters and the facilities he plays in, the motels that get concert attendees staying overnight because they live 300 miles from the show, restaurants, t shirt makers, etc.

All while he's stoned!

One guy living his life in a broken down home is not a good or bad example of anything. Neither is a millionaire musician.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No unprescribed drug, including alcohol is good for you. None.

Pot does no harm. Really? Today's pot ain't the pot of your youth. Many factors stronger. Pot use under 25 can damage brain development. Pot can be a gateway drug.

Interestingly, a mother drinking alcohol while pregnant harms her child's brain more than using drugs. The alcohol rewires the developing brain. You can detox a high new born, but the problems of FAS are forever.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad

yep, and rolls around the country in a friggen motor home that's worth WAY more than my 7 acre RANCH here in the outnack of California. Probably worth more than the house, property, vehicles, tractor, outdoor gear, dog training equipment, chicken coop and chickens, and the firewood in the shed combined.

Let's not forget he generates revenue for all those members of his band, the roadies, and the promoters and the facilities he plays in, the motels that get concert attendees staying overnight because they live 300 miles from the show, restaurants, t shirt makers, etc.

All while he's stoned!

One guy living his life in a broken down home is not a good or bad example of anything. Neither is a millionaire musician.

Geno

Yep.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gee I've been thinking on this subject today in my spare time...

Ya know, If I hadn't been anti Dope and Anti Drugs for my entire life....I was thinking where I might be now, instead of where I am now...

Heck I might even be a democRAT congressman from California, and leading a committee trying to impeach the President of the United States, and have eyes that look just like a stepped on frog...

and fellow dopers all over the country would love me!.. how's that for success?? and I could trace it all back to being a stoner...

you guys have me convinced... I've been going about this all wrong...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
[quote=2legit2quit]
Agreed, but I’ve seen it before, star athlete, smart, handsome in HS,whole world appeared to be laid at their feet. And then when they take the next step, life gets harder. Perhaps for the first time in their life they have to really work at something

And it’s just too hard for some.

[quote]

Just think how hard life is for the straight dudes that don't escape in their drug of choice, and instead face life head on, stone cold sober, with no crutch or safety net. No trust fund, no inherited house, no sugar momma or daddy. Nothing but hard work standing between them and their families starvation. Oh, and yes, they support several people in better style than a drug addict can support himself alone.

Hard work! Oh the horror!

And sometimes their spouse comes along and knocks them off their high horse in front of the whole town.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Valsdad

All while he's stoned!

Geno

Yep.

I'll also bet he has a team of folks who keep him on track and make sure he is at all of his concerts semi coherent, semi sober and somewhat healthy so he can keep those players and employees working. Someday it's all going to end but his legacy keeps him going and folks on the payroll.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10ring1, 257 roberts, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,576
Posts18,532,115
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.