Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So a Brooklyn accent is not inconceivable ?

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"It varies. The 1st time it appeared, during the Jewish Pentacost celebration 40 days after Jesus ascended to heaven, the disciples were speaking in the languages of the unbelievers around them. Everyone there heard the word in his own language and thousands converted."

Ain't no tongue-talkin going on at Walton Pentecostal happening in MY language, that's for damn sure.

And another thing, if enough don't come up front and start whailin and fallin about they just keep on til the pastor is satisfied enough have seen the way, watched it go on for near an hour one Sunday.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
When speaking in tongues, what language is it ?

The language has a name: Glossolalia . It has a vocabulary, a grammar and syntax. It is also quite universal. I knew a professor at University of Cincinnati that studied it.

Basically, if you can get someone into a particularly energetic altered state, Glossolalia comes out. It's hardwired into us-- kind of like how dogs start to kick their back foot if you scratch the right spot on their back. A hillbilly at a snake church sounds the same as a Phillipino or a Bantu. I was one of the former.

I've been there. I've spoken in tongues. It's a really fascinating state. What's more, if you are attuned to it, you can understand what another speaker is saying. I haven't been there in 40 years, but the state of mind was quite pleasant and euphoric.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raeford
"It varies. The 1st time it appeared, during the Jewish Pentacost celebration 40 days after Jesus ascended to heaven, the disciples were speaking in the languages of the unbelievers around them. Everyone there heard the word in his own language and thousands converted."

Ain't no tongue-talkin going on at Walton Pentecostal happening in MY language, that's for damn sure.

And another thing, if enough don't come up front and start whailin and fallin about they just keep on til the pastor is satisfied enough have seen the way, watched it go on for near an hour one Sunday.

Some people at your church, including the pastor, need to read 1 Cor.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Nope, Methodist

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I try to teach my folks that they can be Spirit Filled w/o being "weird". I call women like your friend's wife "Pentecostal Pam". Her male counterpart is "Pentecostal Pete". smile I am in no way making sport of their Faith, or zeal. However, its usually fear driven. Many groups teach that "unless" you are just like "them", then you are going to Hell. Well hey, one doesn't come to Christ out of "fear".

1. Yeah, fear. I fear he fears her.

2. I dont know. I thought HE said you best fear HIM.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Evangelist Randy Web , now there is piece of work .
And so was the congregation milking preacher . My ex got religion at this preachers church , they were building a new church , so she asked me if I would give them a hand . Sure , I said . Went there humping wheelbarrows of gravel and shoveling while several of thier fat asses stood around beating thier gums . Somebody showed up with a cooler of double colas , they passed one out to everybody there and several times walked right by me . Ok , fluck it , I kept working for a while longer and even the ones raking the grade had a set down , I’m still shoveling and pushing , I stopped, looked around at the lazy bastards , set the wheel barrow down got in my pickup and drove off .
Lots of other flaws in this church too , but what do I give schit .
I’m sure there are some good ones somewhere but all I have been too had preachers that should have been at the alter ,
Kenneth

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Raeford

Some people at your church, including the pastor, need to read 1 Cor.

Not MY church, son married into it......Wife and I have only been on a few special occasions over the past 6-7 years.

FJB & FJT
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman

The language has a name: Glossolalia . It has a vocabulary, a grammar and syntax. It is also quite universal. I knew a professor at University of Cincinnati that studied it.

Basically, if you can get someone into a particularly energetic altered state, Glossolalia comes out. It's hardwired into us-- kind of like how dogs start to kick their back foot if you scratch the right spot on their back. A hillbilly at a snake church sounds the same as a Phillipino or a Bantu. I was one of the former.

I've been there. I've spoken in tongues. It's a really fascinating state. What's more, if you are attuned to it, you can understand what another speaker is saying. I haven't been there in 40 years, but the state of mind was quite pleasant and euphoric.

WOW. Thank yo for sharing !!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you ever get a chance to get around it, it's a powerful experience.

Don't expect any heavy intellectuality. You're not going to get a discussion of Saint Augustine or anything like that. People will get themselves wound up with simple phrases:

Praise Jesus
Jesus is God

etc.

When they slip into tongues, it'll be that same basic rhythm except it'll start containing more staccato, rapid-fire intonations. For someone who is not jacked in it will sound like:

TaTaT-Ta-Ah-Ta-and a slurry of meaningless syllables and as the altered state becomes more heightened. The order, variety, and rhythm of the syllables becomes more complex.

On the inside, you're flying. Disembodied voices inside your head are telling you Jesus is God, and you may go places and talk to people or see angels or who knows what. It's a religious epiphany, so it is like a natural LSD-like high. You may pass out. You may heal the sick. You may get messages to pass on to others. It's a wild-ass trip. When you come back down, it's like you've bungee-jumped off God's shoulder.

What is it? Who-the-F-knows.
It's probably harmless and neutral-- no worse than huffing nitrous oxide--but it's bad for you if you do too much of it.

I did it. I don't do it now. I'm a good Methodist, and I really don't need that kind of hoopla in my life. It was a nice vacation, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Before you ask: yes, one night I did try to pick up a rattlesnake, but one of the elders held me back and said he'd received word I wasn't ready. I never tried again. All this occurred between the start of spring quarter of my freshman year and the beginning of the next fall. Yikes! What a ride that was!

That was the same summer I met David Koresh-- another one of those instances where a guiding hand held me back.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
You got this....
( awesome choice of colors btw Pat!!!)

And ya got this...

^^^^^^^^^^^
1:25 to 1:40 ish
Classic material!!!!
Right outta the 3 Stooges playbook.
Long skirt chick in blue shirt shoves dude over the one
doing the Curly shuffle on the floor.
Came outta her "state" for a moment I geuss...
LOL!!!!

And then this

I just dont know what ta think.

LOL!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 01/09/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never experienced anyone speaking in tongues, and I've been going to church a long time...........Southern Baptist and Methodist. But, the Lord does work in mysterious ways, so it could be possible.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Hard enough to understand anyone who is all worked up and speaking in English.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I personally think that people who are open to "Pentecostal things" are much more likely to encounter real demonic oppression as opposed to your everyday back bencher in an everyday mainline denomination that is more "accepted". Those kind of people scare the hell out of the Devil and have his full attention. This kind of stuff is going to seem crazy to any non-believer.....heck, belief itself is crazy to them......but it is scriptural. To say its "horse [bleep]" is to call God a liar and that is a real bad place to be. I think its for that reason (demonic oppression) that Pentecostal people get led off on all kind of tangents and sometimes into stuff that is legitimately crazy and find people like David Koresh crossing their paths.

I grew up in non-denominational "Pentecostal" churches. I saw some good stuff and bad, some real stuff and fake.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
...Seems like every church I get dragged to now has a rock and roll band, complete with a drummer in a plexiglass cage, playing for a solid half hour. Almost always WAY to loud and often they suck balls. People swaying and shouting amen...

wink smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Hi
Originally Posted by shaman

And this language can be spoken from getting all excited and without having learned it? So, its universal, meaning an excited Afreakan could get all excited and converse with a US Indian talker or Japanese guy excited or an Aboroginie or Swede.

Hum. Amazing. So all people are born with a common language ingrained in them that HE gives those who will get deeply excited by HIM?

It would stand to reason if this language were innate, belief in HIM would be also.

Hummm. whistle

It seems to me that Christian's most be talking in tongues to some just by reading the Bible out loud to unbelievers.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/09/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rock Chuck, well put my friend.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Sounds like it could be interesting someone could possibly get two seperated rooms and 2 different strangers, who were tongues interpreters, one in each room, tune in to a good Pent TV program and get the interpretation from each written to compare on paper after each successive parishioner ran up front to accept their special taste of recieving the Holy Ghost.

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There's a proper way to speak in tongues in church. Only 2 or 3 should be allowed, and 1 at a time, not the mass hysteria. Also, one of the other gifts of the spirit is the ability to interpret those tongues. Paul says that any speaking in tongues is to be done only when an interpreter is present. Following God's word from 1 Cor. would eliminate most of this thread. The way most of the Pent's do it fits exactly in verse 23.

1 Cor 14:22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.
23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?
27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three— should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret.
28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.

That topic can be about the most divisive in all of Christianity. The confusion and chaos stirred up is NOT of the Lord. We know who the author of that happens to be.

One can't explain Spiritual things thru mere reasoning. Check out 1 Cor 2:14. But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned

Man's understanding is not a prerequisite for Truth...

Chaos and confusion is NOT of the Lord no matter who is involved, does not emanate from the Tree of Life.

DF

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just prior to pandemonium and speaking in tongues. For a nominal fee the preacher rents out the church defibrillator.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 46 invisible), 1,720 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,051
Posts18,521,271
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.