Print Thread
Hop To
C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I am in the process of buying a sako rifle with a synthetic stock. Not sure of brand name or how to tell brand? The stock has taken a pretty good bump on the top of the comb pushing a piece in. Any thoughts on repairing such a defect? Or maybe how to tell brand mane of stock to contact the manufacture for inquiry? The rifle is a left hand sako l691 so not very easy to find a replacement. Also details on the stock Packmyer pad so no help there but has Millet twist in sling swivels that I have never seen before 2 on the forend one just in front of the action. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Here are a few picts
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14307100#Post14307100

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You can fiberglass it, but try to pick the pieces out and fill the indention using the broken pieces as a make shift caul, the hard part will be matching the texture.

Best bet would be to figure out the maker and talk to them about repairing it?

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I see one big piece with a depressed fracture.

I'd try to pry the piece up, fill base and cracks with black Agraglass Gel, leaving it flush with surface. You can use your finger with wet Acraglass Gel to create a rough surface. If mine, I'd sand it somewhat and repaint the whole thing with Brownells Alumahyde II. It takes a while to cure but is super strong. You can use black.

If it still showed too much of a scar, I'd repaint a different color and use black webbing. Do a search on JPro and his stock painting. I've followed his lead, results are not as good as his, but this is my second one. You can use about any base color. Satin clear Alumnhyde II has a sheen, the light from photo

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This was my first, used too much marbling (webbing), ended up looking more like granite...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I used epoxy putty to repair a gouge in an H&S fiberglass stock. It comes as two different sticks or as a coextruded single stick that you cut off what you need and knead together until the color is uniform. It sticks just like regular epoxy but does not sag. Sets up rock hard and files/sands easily to match the surrounding contour. I used black Milliput from Amazon but it comes in white as well. JB Weld, Devcon, etc, all make it and is easily found on Amazon or in the local hardware store. Much easier to deal with than any liquid or gel.
RAN

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The gel mentioned works as well as JB Weld or the others. Have used them, too.

This stock is fixable, IMO. If it was mine, it would get fixed and would look OK. I’d stay with it until it did.

If the price was right because of the stock damage, I’d jump on it, make it work.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would get some thin aluminum strips, prepare both
inside the stock and the metal, insert strips and epoxy them in place.
Then, if it's thick enough, thin fiberglass cloth and epoxy laid up in the
hole. You might want to build up your final finish coat with bondo..

If you need cloth, msg me. I can send you some in a normal envelope.

Think finishing drywall. Blending it out to match everything else.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it's on the comb it's non-structural. I'd just run some epoxy around the edges to stabilize and use a light weight filler to level (my preference epoxy resin and glass microballoons - see what your favorite auto parts store has to offer.)

Somebody already said matching the texture would be the difficult part.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Is the stock a resin / cloth lay-up or injection molded? Different materials require different fixes … if it can be done at all. A glass layup can be easily fixed by grinding out the fractured glass and repairing with glass cloth and a laminating resin - preferably using an epoxy like the West System 105/205. If this is a brittle injection molded shell the best option would be to throw it away and replace with a good aftermarket laminate.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Looks more like a laid up fiberglass. Injection type, IMO, would look different with that kinda trauma.

Trick is to repair leaving the least footprint. Laying up new fiberglass wouldn’t be my choice. Would be a big patch to deal with.

I’d raise the depressed piece, secure it and fill the crack.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Indian guide sat impatiently watching his two hunters get ready to hunt for the day. It had rained heavy the night before and wetted all the sleeping bags. The hunters spent a great deal of time building a nice rack to dry their bags on. Finally they were ready and the old guide rose, shaking his head and draped his bag over a tent line and led the way out of camp.

My father told me the story more than once...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing if not practical. Before we moved here an Indian (my friends tell me they actually prefer Indian over Native American) kept a horse in town in his back yard. He didn't have a tank or trough to water the horse so he knocked out the kitchen window and let the horse drink at the sink.

I believe it, came from a cousin who was stationed here with the Highway Patrol.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Caulk and paint will make it what it ain't. Think about it.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

C
ctw Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Update ont he stock, I was looking for information on a potential replacement called McMillan for that info but it would not work. Asked the tech on the phone if they repaired there stocks and the fact I thought this one to be McMillan. Long story short I sent a picture they confirmed McMillan stock and for the cost of shipping repaired and repainted the stock. Even though the stock had non factory alterations. McMillan stocks is a first rate company from my view.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (300_savage, AB2506, AscensionIndustries, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 663 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,224
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.