Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have been shooting since the 80's and my archery collection has consisted of a wood handled Ben Pearson(can't remember the model), sold it and bought a Pearson Spoiler, which was stolen. Then I bought an Oneida Strike Eagle off of HeavyMetal. Shot that bow for years. Then I did some horse trading and got an Aeroforce by Oneida, wore that bow out and bought a Mathews Feathermax, which I shoot to this day. I have one friend who traded bows 3 times within one archery season. It all depends on finding what you are looking for. The main thing keeping it mechanically sound. But I do miss my Oneida's.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Hoyt that is about 7 years old and don't see replacing it anytime soon....It works well for me...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've had my Browning Explorer II for 37 years. My older brother bought it in 1968. Despite several attempts to replace it over the years, it remains my primary hunting bow. I don't even bother looking at new bows anymore.

"The peasants may be conned by every pitchman that introduces a new super magnum, but the members of the cognoscenti stick with classic calibers." Jack O'Conner
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't see why folks upgrade compound bows every 4-5 years. Deer don't get harder to kill every 4-5 years, and the bow you killed a deer with 5 years ago will kill a deer just as dead today.

I DO, however, see why people trade bows. Not for upgrades, but for other reasons, mostly asthetic. I'm a longbow recurve selfbow guy, and have traded many, many bows. It's the same with guns, which I've traded many also.

Sometimes you just want a change.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gene L
I don't see why folks upgrade compound bows every 4-5 years. Deer don't get harder to kill every 4-5 years, and the bow you killed a deer with 5 years ago will kill a deer just as dead today.

Noise and vibration is what makes me change.....asthetics rank a bit lower, but mainly noise and vibration....big time.

Hell, we dont all drive around Model T's anymore either....somethings get better with refinement, and although deer arent harder to kill, its nice having something that is more enjoyable to shoot than the last one...

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
In my limited experience of just 50 years shooting arrows, perhaps some of the changes archers make in their tackle are just for something new, different, perceived ( or really) better etc.
I think alot of aspiring archers are pretty unschooled about what makes a good bow or arrow setup initially and so may upgrade as they learn and are exposed to other archers and tackle .
There is a place where the tackle is about as good as it's gonna get or NEEDS to be tho..and at that point, there's something to be said of the archer who settles in with good equipment, well matched and tuned ,and then practices and practices ( properly) until that bow and arrow become almost an extension of him as archer-hunter.

Used to say beware of the man with ONE rifle..prolly could say something similar about the man who focuses on ONE good bowhunting setup and from there, perfects his form and hunting with it.Jim.

as an edit note I'd add this observation:
Instead of spending big bucks for a setup, and then another and another trying to improve your archery success, consider getting the help of a PAA coach both for equipment choice and setup and more importanrtly, some archery lessons and coaching.

Bad habits are hard to un-learn..and poorly matched-tuned equipment are a constant frustration even IF you are doing it all right.
With those two handicaps, no amount of switching equipment will solve those problems.
The archery shops and sporting goods house will love ya tho..:)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a used Martin Cougar Magnum in 1984 and a new Martin Jaguar in 1996. The reason I changed was that the speed difference between the old and new bows was dramatic. That has been the extent of my bow purchases.

I am here to tell you that it ain't the bow. When I'm practicing and in the groove my 1996 bow groups just fine. When I'm not up to it, the bow isn't either.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Darton trailmaster- 1978 Hunted every yr with it.
Hoyt Magnatech- 2002 and I suspect this one will last me as long as the darton did. Just don't see technology changing that must that I should run out and sell my Hoyt. 32" draw 300fps whisker bisket and a whole lot of deer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will always have two compound bows. At least!

I travel to hunt elk and if something happens to my primary bow - or a partners bow - I have a back up that I feel good about.

Right now my primary bow is my Hoyt Ultratec. It doesn't need to be replaced. In my view, it's just about perfection. My back up is a High Country, that I also like very much and shoot very well.

I will buy another bow soon. I do like the new parallel limb design. I've made my choice and will add it to the stable, then gift my HC to my son.
Whether the new bow will replace the UT as my primary, will have to be seen.

Don't let anyone tell you that you need a "reason" to upgrade bows...or motorcycles, socks....yadda yadda.... If you feel the want and can afford it, do your thing! BT

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I still have my long bow from the 50s

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
My first compound was a Bear, Brown Bear that I bought in the early 80's and still use for bowfishing. I bought a left-over Browning Excellerator Plus in 1996 that I still use. Last fall, I was wondering what I would get if something happened to my Browning. So I bought another just like it on E-bay for $65 including shipping. I should be good for a long time.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had my Hoyt Magnatec for going on 6 years now. It's going in this summer when I get home for new string and cables. I plan on getting at least 2 more years out of it.

Hudge

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I plan on keeping my Matthews LX for quite a while. For my purpose, I don't see the gain in changing it every year. But I don't knock it if you do.

Last edited by BOW777; 03/28/07.

When Ronald Reagan was president, we had Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.
Now that Barack Obama is president, we have NO hope and NO cash.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WITHIN REASONABLE LIMITS...ITS NOT THE BOW, ITS THE ARCHER!
YES the bow you sellect must have the correct draw length, reasonable draw poundage, and brace height and feel good in your hands. CONSISTANCY on the archers part and QUALITY MATCHED ARROWS are far more important. I can still out shoot most of the guys I hunt with and use a JENNINGS UNISTAR I picked up USED almost 15 year ago, if you spend the money on decent arrows and your time in practice youll be AMAZED at what you can accomplish with most quality bows.
you don,t need to be a fantastic shot, but you do need to know your limits, be consistant and judge ranges fairly well, but PRACTICE and FAMILIARITY with your equipment is MANDATORY.
constantly swapping equipment can,t be good for form,practice or your ability to know your equipments little querks.
you can buy the newest and best equipment every 4 months if your wallets thick enough but still not shoot as well as some guy with a $300 bow that CONSISTANTLY practices a few times a week.

Last edited by 340mag; 04/06/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW don,t think IM immuned to buying new equipment and testing, it I have purchased three bows in the last 7 years...looking for something better than what I have, but ONLY when I get a bargin price and ONLY if I like the feel and looks of a bow and have test shot it a few times.....usually at a healthy discount price from guys looking to unload last years bow to buy this years bow, or from the close-outs at the bear/jennings dealer in florida.
youll be surprised at the discounts a new but year old bow goes for at the factory pro shop store

Last edited by 340mag; 04/06/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shot recurves when I was younger.
In about 1995 I shelled out $250 for a Browning Mirage Straight Limb.
It took me months to get it tuned, tied, accessorized, etc.
The 3-D shoots, and target shoots I have done to learn how to shoot my bow were fun.
The first deer I shot at I missed by a mile because I grossly under estimated the distance. (Not my bows fault)
Then the next couple of deer I shot at, the arrow went through. and killed in moments.

Unlike my Firearm addiction, I have never gotten the "New Bow" Fever.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Ive been bowhunting since 1985 I could never say exactly how many bows Ive owned in those 20 plus years but its a bunch. They were mostly PSE but lately its MATHEWS with a few ARs thrown in for good measure. Ive calmed down a little the last few years I just buy one or two a year...........547.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My first bow was a York Mojave that I bought in Papillion, Nebraska while in the Air Force. I now shoot a Jennings CarbonExtreme from 1994. I shot a tab, Proline Crosshair site, TM Hunter rest, and 2512 aluminum arrows.
2007 same bow, single adjustable, vertical, fiberoptic pin, WhiskerBiscuit rest, carbon arrows, release and a string loop. I looked real hard at a Bowtech Allegience, but couldn't make myself open my wallet. I guess I will do the upkeep on my antique as the guys at work like to call it. My old setup was shooting at 293 FPS. This new setup is a good deal faster I just haven't chronographed it yet.

Last edited by amax155; 06/09/07.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first bow was a Hoyt Super Slam Supreme, bought it new in '91. I shot a black bear and a 5x5 bull elk with it. My newest bow is a Reflex Extreme that I have yet to kill anything with, excluding a couple of local tame rabbits that wouldn't stay outta my yard. I have since given the Hoyt away but still have the Reflex which I really like and I plan on using it this fall on moose.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,067
Posts18,482,557
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.