Print Thread
Hop To
G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I bowhunted many years w a compound, got a few whitetails (and missed more). Just got a crossbow for the first time, Parker Tomahawk, identical to one I borrowed last fall and liked. Came (used) with scope, quiver, and 3 bolts w field points.

Question: what broad heads are suitable? Different from those for compounds I assume.

Thanks for any advice.

Yesu ai zhongguo
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thunderhead 100s

They always pass thru, and shoot great

Stuff just drops and leaves big blood trails

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Not really that different,

The fixed blades are pretty much the same for either type of arrow or bolt, some mechanicals list their broad heads as either vertical bow or cross bow rated.

Lower profile heads tend to fly better, but that’s a generalization - not an absolute.

Thunderheads are good, Slick Tricks, Muzzy, all good places to start.

Last edited by AH64guy; 05/03/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using Slick Tricks in my crossbow. The same ones I use in my compound. Some of the broad heads on the market have a little thicker blades. Try a few different ones and see which shoot the best.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Have not used them yet,but these were recommended to me when I asked the same question. 2020 will be my first crossbow elk season.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W8KTIS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's not just broadheads to be concerned about.

You have plenty of power with that bow. So, there is little reason not to use as much cut as you like. Total arrow weight can be up close on 500 grains and you'll still have decent speed. I would start with a generous cut 100 grain head and put a good, stiff, heavy arrow behind it like a FMJ. As long as you do not compromise accuracy most heads will work well. I have killed them with 2 blade, 3 blade, 4 blade and 2 blade mechanicals. They all worked well. Big cut mechanicals have produced the best blood trails. I had one deer shot with a big cut 4 blade mech that managed a little over a mile after I put it through her chest. Hit just a little far back because she jumped the string, but still double lunged. All four blades opened on the entrance. Heads count a lot, but they don't count more than the arrow going through where it's supposed to. Use one with a steel ferrule and sturdy blades.

G
garCH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Appreciate all the input. The bow came w 3 bolts so I'll start off practicing w those, and think I still have 100 gr Thunderheads from my compound days

Yesu ai zhongguo
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use the same heads I used with my compound. Bear ss razors with replaceable bleeder blades. They fly well and cut on contact.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
because of my shoulder surgeries and left shoulder never healed well,so last year was my 1st year with a x-bow. i used 125 grain steelhead Rocket broadhead ,i made 1 change i put 2 bands on broadhead so it did not open in flight out of my Ravin x-bow . I shot a big 12 pt. in late December with the steelhead broadhead worked perfect 32 yard shot arrow went right thru rib cage,bolt stuck in frozen ground, good blood and lung trail 125 yards buck piled up.got 5 of these 125 gr. Rocket steelheads yet so i am good for next fall too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Been shooting Rage X-treme crossbow heads for the last couple years. 10+ deer down. Most didn’t make it more than 10-15 yards. Accurate and reliable paired with my older Ten Point crossbow.

Semper Fi

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Unless you have a medical condition, crossbows in Idaho are only allowed in any weapon hunts, not in the regular archery season. Mechanical heads are also prohibited.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Unless you have a medical condition, crossbows in Idaho are only allowed in any weapon hunts, not in the regular archery season. Mechanical heads are also prohibited.

I qualify with my plastic/titanium shoulder. Life time crossbow license for all archery seasons

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by haverluk
Been shooting Rage X-treme crossbow heads for the last couple years. 10+ deer down. Most didn’t make it more than 10-15 yards. Accurate and reliable paired with my older Ten Point crossbow.

I shot two with that head last fall. One was in snow and the off side ha a blood fan spray that looked like I shot it with a rifle. The deer bled like someone filled a 5 gallon bucket with blood and a 1/2 inch hole in the bottom. The damn deer also made it 300 yards! The other one only made it 30 yards, but there was a four foot wide blood trail for 25 of them. I like them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
me / brother his two sons one of there grandpa 3 other people we hunt with ex cal bows use 125 gr muzzy 3 blades with great results

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by haverluk

I shot two with that head last fall. One was in snow and the off side ha a blood fan spray that looked like I shot it with a rifle. The deer bled like someone filled a 5 gallon bucket with blood and a 1/2 inch hole in the bottom. The damn deer also made it 300 yards! The other one only made it 30 yards, but there was a four foot wide blood trail for 25 of them. I like them.

Glad to hear the feedback. To the OP, do note our whitetail in Northern VA are small. A big deer in my area might hang at 130 dressed at best. Also most of my shots are at 20 yards or less and I like to clip the back of the front shoulder on entrance. I hunt smaller lots of property and try my best to keep them on it when I loose an arrow. I might not try the same on larger deer at the same or longer ranges.

Semper Fi

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
FWIW The one deer I shot was a huge fawn the went about 130 dressed. The other was a middling buck that went about 170. Last fall I held a large buck >200, in the crosshairs for ten minutes before deciding to pass, but this year I will shoot him and make some sausage. I will use the X-tremes until I see something wrong with them or something better.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,173
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.