-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put on a 24X, laser the distance. You've already worked out the trajectory of the load in your rifle, so you dial in the elevation turret, windage turret and hold right where you want to hit.

Now at 1000 yds getting the wind just right is masters level stuff, and maybe the air conditions are a bit different from when you worked out your drops, so you take a sighter shot and then dial in any compensation.

Compare race cars from the 50's to today, technology has advanced.

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Sure, technology has advanced and I'm always playing catch up....But when your heart beat ALONE would bounce you out of the X ring, you can add all the high tech stuff you want.

I've 'prolly shot in competition at 1000 yards over 500 rounds and granted it was a looooong time ago, but it, I guess, tells me that things have changed.......Common sense makes it hard to believe, not that I don't accept what you say.

Thanks for your input.....I have a laser range finder-binoc (supposedly good to 1200 yards) that I've yet to use as they haven't come back from the techno guys who are repairing it.

But I look forward to experiencing it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even with technology, it is still the nut behind the but the ultimately matters. And no, a guy with no skill won't hit with the best equipment out there. But if you put the time into learning what's possible, it's pretty amazing.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've got a few rounds down at 1000. I'm not sure about the old aiming black, 5V IIRC. The new black bull is 44 inches, and the 10 ring is 20 inches wide. 200s(perfect scores) are fairly common with scopes and slings. With scopes and rests(F class) they had to make the scoring rings even tighter. Unfortunately I never had time to shoot 1000 at Perry, shooting the 2 preceding weeks pretty well knocked that off, but I've shot 1000 in TX quite a bit. And have shot to just over 1700 yards with a 15X fixed and was shooting 3 shot groups that stayed on a 55 gal drum.

If you can see a 44 inch black bull, a coyote about half that size or less is possible to see, I saw 2 moving over 1000 yards away in Feb on a deer hunt, but had to go to binocs to confirm it was yotes.

Groups are much better these days. And it doesn't take 24x to shoot 1000, in fact a LOT of days I only use around 15 or so on my test scope. more than that and the mirage really kills you.

My longest shot was on 10x. A caribou, and it was easy to aim on a tuft of hair about the size of a hardball.

Dont' make it harder than it is. But as mentioned, the drop and shooting and seeing are easily conquered, much more so than the wind issues.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I've shot (prone, on bipod) 5-shot groups on paper up to 1320yd and made first-shot hits on 18" wide reactive targets up to 1210yd with 10x. This was while compensating for 5mph wind (which was actually 15mph wind coming at an angle). Naturally, I dial for all conditions. Doesn't matter how much the bullet drop is as long as you know both the drop and the range. You determine the drop when shooting paper and you determine the range with a laser.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
10x crosshairs totally cover the 18inch target at 1210? Didn't think so....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
FWIW, my IOR is first focal plane with a 0,2 mrad center dot. That would make it a little less than 9" at 1210 on 10x magnification. All I'm saying is that I definitely agree, it doesn't take 24x to shoot 1000. Even if my crosshair doesn't entirely cover the target at that range, whatever that means. Things *do* get lost in translation -- sorry.

In sniper competitions, I use binos to locate, spotter to confirm and a max 10x or 12x scope to aim.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yes, to make it clear where I was headed, that I agree that it doesn't take max mag to shoot longer distances and you happily provided me more fuel for the fire!
Thanks, Jeff

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh yeah, a bit BTW, lets talk pistols, they have big sights, folks shoot them with irons at 50 yards, they cover a LOT of a game animal, but when you compare to what crosshairs cover at longer distances, they actually cover less percentage wise, IMHO.

Its along the lines of folks complaining about longer shots... I keep running these scenarios in my head, but have not posted YET... IE a good bolt gun is gonna be under 2 inches at 500 yards. But a 500 yard shot is no good. But compare accuracy of other items like pistols and their shot ranges, bows and shot ranges, MZ and the same and then work out the MOA issues I'd bet there isn't much difference...just in peoples heads

Jeff

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Shooting p/dogs beyond 1000 yds involves more than some think..the rifle must be accurate of course...the shooter must know how to use it...optics must be top notch...conditions must be perfect...your p/dog target must be stationary for three seconds..or more...handloads are nearly required...I don't go down to Walmart and buy 260 AI or 6XC with SMKs...they are hand loaded one by one...a spotter buddy is required...wind is always present in the west...the shooter needs to 'dial' into the wind..know his rifle/scope/load...cartridges ?? I use the 260 AI w/4200 Tactical...260 w/4200 4-16...6XC w/Sig Select 6-24...all Savage s/shots with heavy Pac Nor barrels...sometimes its just fun to take the 204..223 AI or 6BR and bust some closer dogs at 500 yds or so....pic is 19# 260 AI w/4200 Tactical scope..rifle has confirmed p/dog kills out to 1400 yds...VHA Member #56234 [Linked Image]

I like your style!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Ruistola,

How big was that 5 shot group at 1310 and what caliber were you using?

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I was shooting a 6.5-284. The group was typical MOAish, I didn't really take an exact measurement because I was just gathering drop data and looking at average POI.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (6mmbrfan, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 899 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,119
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.