Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I am at war with rabbits. They are tearing my garden up and eating the wife's flowers. I put chicken wire around the broccoli plants and this worked until the plant got tall now they are standing on their hind feet and pushing the wire down and eating up a storm. I have thought about planting green beans inside a box trap. I live in a small neighborhood and I have a neighbor that sets outside all evening so I have not been able to shoot them with the pellet gun I am a big fan of SSS shoot shovel and shut up. Any ideas

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Snare them and wack em with a shovel. Don't dig a whole though. Garden fed rabbit is a fine meal!

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I am not going to dig a hole this time I WANT MY VEGETABLES BACK smile
I have been looking into the snare idea that may be the way I go

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a dog.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would put some electricity in that fence, my grandpa has had success with this method smile . The dog idea would be good as well. It is pretty tough to keep up with rabbits via traps, snares, and bullets. You may feel better about the deal I don't think it will curb the garden raiding. Maybe use a combination of all of the above.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
My dog ain't never caught a rabbit but she is still a friend of mine smile. I had not thought about Electricity

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can make good rabbit snares out of picture frame wire. Nothing fancy needed, not lockers, swivels are anything. Just twist a the wire to make a noose and put it rabbit-head-high over one of their trails.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
110 conibear with an apple slice on trigger. Wait 'til winter and eradicate them.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Update,
Snares are the way to go smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
mix tabasco sauce in water and spray on the plants.

It works.

(wash your vegetables before eating)

Tom aka rinkydink

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a different dog...

My mutt has rid our yard of rabbits and squirrels. He brought a few in for dinner but were too chewed up. Chasing small furry things is his passion. I just hope the skunks stay away...

RH

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You can try an electric net fence.

http://www.kencove.com/ShopItems.php?cat=Electric+Net+Fencing

I have used it on deer with good results.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had basically the same problem last year so I tried shooting them with my bow, i managed to kill 2 or 3 but then they got smart so we bought a live trap. We put chopped carrots inside and it worked well. We caught 3 rabbits in a weeks time and then for some reason they stopped coming around and we haven't seen anymore since. We didn't kill the rabbits either, i took them about 6 miles from the house and released them in a park. Now i've got a squirrel problem that needs fixing.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Egg whites and water mix spray on plants,old man here finds snake skins and puts them in garden and moth balls.
One thing is for a fact if you had something thats work to keep stuff out,deer,rabbits YOU WOULD BE RICH!!!! a free meal is a free meal. Good Luck....remember Rabbits are food too...

my dream job.....life guard of the gene pool!!!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Make a box trap (live trap) or buy a live trap and eat em or let em loose far away.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by himmelrr
I just hope the skunks stay away... RH

laugh laugh laugh

Keep a case of tomatoe juice on hand - just in case. wink

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Try liquid Deer Fence. Nasy smelling stuff, like stale blood etc, but it works. (Could be great coyote/fox lure?).

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Beeman R-9

[Linked Image]

Works for me!

Tact is knowing how to tell someone to go to hell, and have them thank you for it.

NRA Life Member, BAA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you catch and kill a neighbor's dog, cat, or other pet in your snare or other trap you're going to be in DEEP DOO DOO.

I suggest a Hav-A-Hart trap. It's a live box trap and you can quietly dispatch them in your garage for the dinner table or release them somewhere else.

As far as I know their use isn't illegal ANYWHERE but most other methods of control are.

If you catch a neighborhood cat or dog you can do what you wish but be aware that the SPCA is a nightmare you don't ever want to tackle. You'll lose in a VERY BIG WAY.

Electric fences are a good option too but are kind of expensive and high maintenance.

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Now i've got a squirrel problem that needs fixing.

AMH,

110 coni in a bucket set...add peanut butter. It will take most squirrels pretty quick. Or as an alternative, import a pair of Ermine and watch em go!

bhtr

ps. Don't know if Ermine might become a problem he he he

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
[quote3 since. We didn't kill the rabbits either, i took them about 6 miles from the house and released them in a park. . RABBIT HUGGER. Snare them skin them eat them if you need a few snares let me Know I bought some really good ones for mink trapping but they sort of make a ring in the fur so I am not using them.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A cheap am/fm radio quietly playing a talk show works pretty good. I think Rabbits and deer hate Howard Stern the most.

You also can get a cheap motion detector light fixture and take out the bulbs and put an adapter that screws in a light socket and makes a 110 outlet of it then with two extension cords one to the fixture, which can be moved anywhere in the garden, and one running out of it to a noise maker, lights, something that moves, or all the above, you can run them off. I caught some neighbor kids smoking in my tool shed like this--the other cord turned on a lamp in my computer room.

Of course you can shoot them with a bow or pellet rifle too, I'm not too concerned for the rabbits' health, but you may need to stay up all night to get a shot. I've also caught some in snares, but there always seems to be some more that didn't get caught.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10ring1, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,881 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,406
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.