-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
After easily defeating the Iraqi republican guard divisions we have captured the main airport and are now inside the city. Should not be long before it is over. Very impressed by our military. The Iraqis never really had a chance.

[Linked Image from ]
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ConradCA,

You say it is about over. I don't think it is that close yet, by entering Badhdad the fighting will become a door to door or combat in a built up area type thing. It will be something like Hue in Vietnam, small pockets of resitance thru out the city and it will take time to route them out since we are trying to avoid the civilians of Baghdad. We will see more of our Men/Women killed with small arms fire now and possible mines, booby traps etc. I hope it dosen't turn to this, but all indications look like it will.

Jim Croce: You don't tug on Superman's cape, spit into the wind ...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
7400Hunter,

In Vietnam the enemy was motivated and willing to sacrifice. In Iraq the vast majorty of the population only supports Saddam because they are afraid of him and his henchmen.

Now that we have him on the ropes and it is obviouse that he is going to lose the people will turn on him and his thugs. They can finish the job or at least help us to do it.

Apparently Saddam has developed his strategy from watching the movie blackhawk down! Our guys have already penetrated deep into the city with very light casualties. He is better at bullying defenseless civilians than fighting a war.

ConradCA

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ConradCA,

Yes your right on that the enemy being motivated and willing to sacrifice at any cost. I've often wondered though if they may have had a gun at their head also. We will probably never know.

In Iraq, if the people see we are committed on getting Saddam out of there at any cost then I believe they will join in and help us, but only after we convince them we will do it. Some of them took the wrong idea the last time we were over there and ended up holding the bag. So they will not move so quickly this time, but I believe it will happen though, it will sure save a bunch of lives on both sides if so. I think we have a very strong foot hold in Baghdad now and with a little convincing the people will move to help us. We must have them on our side to pull this off. Then it will be a long time coming trying to track down the ones who got away or blended in.

Jim Croce: You don't tug on Superman's cape, spit into the wind ...

One of the news channels reported today that Delta was in Baghdad before the war began, tapped into the fiberoptic telephone system, found saddam, relayed his location to higher which lead to that first massive strike of the war. If you want a great read about Delta, I highly recommend "Inside Delta Force" by Eric Haney, a founding member and former Sergeant Major of Delta. Amazing group of guys. Happy trails.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1minute, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,170
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.