Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Forgive me if you have heard these things before but I feel they need repeating (no pun intended)

Everything being equal...the single shot will be lighter than a bolt action rifle, handier than a bolt action rifle...and even with it being lighter, shorter and handier.....you can almost always have these attributes with a longer barrel translating to better muzzle velocity.

Both the single shot and the bolt action are about the same strength...and both of them are more inherently accurate than lever and semi-auto rifles.

Seemingly, the only advantage that the bolt action has over the single shot is that a follow-up shot can be made a second or two faster...assuming you need a 2nd shot.

I own a Thompson/Encore with a 24" barrel chambered in .260 Remington. A hunting buddy has a gorgeous Remington 788 with a fully stocked 20" barrel chambered in .308 Winchester. You'll never believe it...but my rifle's overall length is about an inch shorter than his and a full pound lighter even though my rifle barrel is thicker than his.

His .308 Winchester is a more powerful round than my .260 Remington and kicks harder than my rifle....but because he is sacrificing 4" of barrel length...he gives up 125 fps. His 150 grn bullet leaves the muzzle at 2700 fps....my 140 grn bullet leaves at 2800 fps. Not enough to make a difference at any sane hunting distance...but remember, we are talking about advantages vs disadvantages. You could say that my single shot .260 Rem shoots flatter and hits harder than a short barreled .308 and I get it at 26% less recoil a pound lighter and an inch shorter.

You might have seen an article written from time to time by a writer who is earnestly looking for the best "survival rifle". The author listing the importance that the rifle be easy to carry, durable, light weight yet powerful enough to kill a deer or a bear if need be.

The winner almost everytime is a .308 bolt action rifle very similiar to the one my buddy owns. Fine rifle....don't get me wrong and in many ways more attractive than my Thompson/Encore...but we are talking performance and I think it is high time that the single shot rifle get some high praise.

Thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My #1 ain't no light weight even in the RSI config. I've never needed a second shot (knock on wood) in ten years of hunting.

Why does the SS get passed over??? Rag writers aren't willing to take the risk.

Last edited by prostrate8; 07/11/07.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For 95+% of my hunting(read that non dangerous game) the single shot is just as good as any repeater. It makes me a better hunter and shooter(knowing the second shot is not right there)
However, the nicest thing about a SS is the looks. I think the Ruger #1, Dakota 10 , etc are the most beatiful designs made.

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Like Prostrate8.....

I've never needed a "2nd. shot" on any game I've taken in the past half century... and I feel my RSI is "perfect" for ANY "non-dangerous" game.

However, I'd prefer a repeating rifle if I were to hunt dangerous game simply to have that "extra edge" of another shot or two "just-in-case".

Jus' my 2�............... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would guess that for most hunters, (not rifle loonies), it comes down to economics. The bolt guns are less expensive than most single shots. I think there are alot of hunters, especially beginners, who need the "security blanket" of a few more rounds.
I too have not needed more than one shot to take home game in the past 15 years.
Maybe it's like our scopes. Do we really need variables to 9 or 10 power?
My last two rifles have been No. 1s with fixed 6 power scopes. I have been converted?!

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
They are the most beautiful rifles made, IMHO.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I have a shell holder/butt stock cover for my Thompson/Encore that holds more shells than I will ever need in a day much less for an entire deer season. I never feel "out-gunned".

At the place where I hunt, there are a variety of different deer stands to choose from. One, in particuliar, is a converted trailor. We have cut shooting latches into the sides to reveal two windows on each side and one out the front. The short rifle really, really helps me when I hunt from this blind.

There is another blind that looks more or less like an oversized telephone booth. Again, my short rifle is very nice to have when hunting this blind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prostrate8
My #1 ain't no light weight even in the RSI config.

If Ruger would manufacture different actions, scaled for the cartridges they chamber, instead of one action size fits all, some of the No.1's wouldn't weigh so much. There's page they could take from Hagn, Dakota or a few others. A rifle chambered for a 22-250 doesn't need the same action that a 416 Rigby or 458 Lott does...

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree (strongly)

A 22lr at about half the weight in the receiver and adult sized stock would be quite fetching.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 22lr at about half the weight in the receiver and adult sized stock would be quite fetching.

Don't get me started... I've said the same exact thing for years. Same rifle, same quality, just scale the action down a bit...

GRRRRR.... grin

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm planning on restoring an old Steven's favorite or crackshot to satiate my need for a neat and nice handling 22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Strange that a little co like Dakota can offer two size receivers and Ruger only one? of course, Dakota did go into ch 11 !!! wink

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, Ruger keeps their price down by offering the one action, but seems with number of rifles they make, it could be cost effective to come up with 3 sizes. One for .223 sized cases, one for the standard '06 size and then one for the belted magnum and larger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Martin Hagen makes two sized receivers as well I believe. Sure as hell ain't cheap though.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I agree (strongly)

I have a Marietta, Georgia made Varner Favorite rifle in 22 LR that I am very happy with. This rifle has a half round, half octagon barrel on it.

I also have a Winchester/Miroku High Grade Low wall that I am also well pleased with. This rifle is the high-grade model with a half octagon, half round barrel on it.

I like Single shot rifles very much. I have:

Ruger No. 1, in 22-250.
Winchester/Miroku Low-Wall High Grade in 22 LR.
Winchester/Miroku Low-Wall 44 Magnum.
Winchester/Miroku Low-Wall High Grade in 45 Colt.
Winchester/Miroku High-Wall in 45-70.
Winchester/Miroku High-Wall in 38-55.
Winchester/Miroku High-Wall in 30-30.
Browning BPCR High-Wall in 45-70.

I am actively looking for a Winchester/Miroku in 357 Magnum and one in 32-20 Winchester.

As I said, I like Single-Shot rifles very much...

Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You seem particularly fond of the 1885. I don't blame ya.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
True enough....there are some single shot rifles that are lighter than others.

There are some bolt action rifles that are heavier or lighter than others.

You can be sure that some lever action rifles that are heavy and some that are light....but no matter what weight, a single shot will ALWAYS be shorter for about the same amount of weight.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You seem particularly fond of the 1885. I don't blame ya.

Yes, it should be quiet obvious that I like the Winchester 1885...

My grandfather, (1850-1950) was an 1870's Buffalo hunter, in Montana. He had an original 1874 Sharps and an original 1885 High-Wall, when I was a kid. He was always talking about how much more he liked the high-wall than his Sharps.

Grandfather started off hunting with the Sharps, and switched to the high-wall, when it became available. All of his elk hunting, in his latter life, was accomplished with his high-wall.

My mother sold the Sharps and the High-wall, at my grandfather's death in 1950. The only time I ever yelled at my mother over something, was when she sold the rifles without asking me, if I wanted them. And, she sold them for chicken feed in dollars.

Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Martin Hagen makes two sized receivers as well I believe. Sure as hell ain't cheap though.

I have one of the small actioned rifles being built right now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope you share a picture of the results. I consider M/H one of the best custom gun makers in North America.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 222ND, 160user, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 46 invisible), 9,827 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,361
Posts18,546,896
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.