Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Forgive me if you have heard these things before but I feel they need repeating (no pun intended)

Everything being equal...the single shot will be lighter than a bolt action rifle, handier than a bolt action rifle...and even with it being lighter, shorter and handier.....you can almost always have these attributes with a longer barrel translating to better muzzle velocity.

Both the single shot and the bolt action are about the same strength...and both of them are more inherently accurate than lever and semi-auto rifles.

Seemingly, the only advantage that the bolt action has over the single shot is that a follow-up shot can be made a second or two faster...assuming you need a 2nd shot.

I own a Thompson/Encore with a 24" barrel chambered in .260 Remington. A hunting buddy has a gorgeous Remington 788 with a fully stocked 20" barrel chambered in .308 Winchester. You'll never believe it...but my rifle's overall length is about an inch shorter than his and a full pound lighter even though my rifle barrel is thicker than his.

His .308 Winchester is a more powerful round than my .260 Remington and kicks harder than my rifle....but because he is sacrificing 4" of barrel length...he gives up 125 fps. His 150 grn bullet leaves the muzzle at 2700 fps....my 140 grn bullet leaves at 2800 fps. Not enough to make a difference at any sane hunting distance...but remember, we are talking about advantages vs disadvantages. You could say that my single shot .260 Rem shoots flatter and hits harder than a short barreled .308 and I get it at 26% less recoil a pound lighter and an inch shorter.

You might have seen an article written from time to time by a writer who is earnestly looking for the best "survival rifle". The author listing the importance that the rifle be easy to carry, durable, light weight yet powerful enough to kill a deer or a bear if need be.

The winner almost everytime is a .308 bolt action rifle very similiar to the one my buddy owns. Fine rifle....don't get me wrong and in many ways more attractive than my Thompson/Encore...but we are talking performance and I think it is high time that the single shot rifle get some high praise.

Thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My #1 ain't no light weight even in the RSI config. I've never needed a second shot (knock on wood) in ten years of hunting.

Why does the SS get passed over??? Rag writers aren't willing to take the risk.

Last edited by prostrate8; 07/11/07.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For 95+% of my hunting(read that non dangerous game) the single shot is just as good as any repeater. It makes me a better hunter and shooter(knowing the second shot is not right there)
However, the nicest thing about a SS is the looks. I think the Ruger #1, Dakota 10 , etc are the most beatiful designs made.

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Like Prostrate8.....

I've never needed a "2nd. shot" on any game I've taken in the past half century... and I feel my RSI is "perfect" for ANY "non-dangerous" game.

However, I'd prefer a repeating rifle if I were to hunt dangerous game simply to have that "extra edge" of another shot or two "just-in-case".

Jus' my 2�............... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would guess that for most hunters, (not rifle loonies), it comes down to economics. The bolt guns are less expensive than most single shots. I think there are alot of hunters, especially beginners, who need the "security blanket" of a few more rounds.
I too have not needed more than one shot to take home game in the past 15 years.
Maybe it's like our scopes. Do we really need variables to 9 or 10 power?
My last two rifles have been No. 1s with fixed 6 power scopes. I have been converted?!

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
They are the most beautiful rifles made, IMHO.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I have a shell holder/butt stock cover for my Thompson/Encore that holds more shells than I will ever need in a day much less for an entire deer season. I never feel "out-gunned".

At the place where I hunt, there are a variety of different deer stands to choose from. One, in particuliar, is a converted trailor. We have cut shooting latches into the sides to reveal two windows on each side and one out the front. The short rifle really, really helps me when I hunt from this blind.

There is another blind that looks more or less like an oversized telephone booth. Again, my short rifle is very nice to have when hunting this blind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prostrate8
My #1 ain't no light weight even in the RSI config.

If Ruger would manufacture different actions, scaled for the cartridges they chamber, instead of one action size fits all, some of the No.1's wouldn't weigh so much. There's page they could take from Hagn, Dakota or a few others. A rifle chambered for a 22-250 doesn't need the same action that a 416 Rigby or 458 Lott does...

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree (strongly)

A 22lr at about half the weight in the receiver and adult sized stock would be quite fetching.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 22lr at about half the weight in the receiver and adult sized stock would be quite fetching.

Don't get me started... I've said the same exact thing for years. Same rifle, same quality, just scale the action down a bit...

GRRRRR.... grin

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm planning on restoring an old Steven's favorite or crackshot to satiate my need for a neat and nice handling 22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Strange that a little co like Dakota can offer two size receivers and Ruger only one? of course, Dakota did go into ch 11 !!! wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, Ruger keeps their price down by offering the one action, but seems with number of rifles they make, it could be cost effective to come up with 3 sizes. One for .223 sized cases, one for the standard '06 size and then one for the belted magnum and larger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Martin Hagen makes two sized receivers as well I believe. Sure as hell ain't cheap though.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I agree (strongly)

I have a Marietta, Georgia made Varner Favorite rifle in 22 LR that I am very happy with. This rifle has a half round, half octagon barrel on it.

I also have a Winchester/Miroku High Grade Low wall that I am also well pleased with. This rifle is the high-grade model with a half octagon, half round barrel on it.

I like Single shot rifles very much. I have:

Ruger No. 1, in 22-250.
Winchester/Miroku Low-Wall High Grade in 22 LR.
Winchester/Miroku Low-Wall 44 Magnum.
Winchester/Miroku Low-Wall High Grade in 45 Colt.
Winchester/Miroku High-Wall in 45-70.
Winchester/Miroku High-Wall in 38-55.
Winchester/Miroku High-Wall in 30-30.
Browning BPCR High-Wall in 45-70.

I am actively looking for a Winchester/Miroku in 357 Magnum and one in 32-20 Winchester.

As I said, I like Single-Shot rifles very much...

Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You seem particularly fond of the 1885. I don't blame ya.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
True enough....there are some single shot rifles that are lighter than others.

There are some bolt action rifles that are heavier or lighter than others.

You can be sure that some lever action rifles that are heavy and some that are light....but no matter what weight, a single shot will ALWAYS be shorter for about the same amount of weight.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You seem particularly fond of the 1885. I don't blame ya.

Yes, it should be quiet obvious that I like the Winchester 1885...

My grandfather, (1850-1950) was an 1870's Buffalo hunter, in Montana. He had an original 1874 Sharps and an original 1885 High-Wall, when I was a kid. He was always talking about how much more he liked the high-wall than his Sharps.

Grandfather started off hunting with the Sharps, and switched to the high-wall, when it became available. All of his elk hunting, in his latter life, was accomplished with his high-wall.

My mother sold the Sharps and the High-wall, at my grandfather's death in 1950. The only time I ever yelled at my mother over something, was when she sold the rifles without asking me, if I wanted them. And, she sold them for chicken feed in dollars.

Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Martin Hagen makes two sized receivers as well I believe. Sure as hell ain't cheap though.

I have one of the small actioned rifles being built right now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope you share a picture of the results. I consider M/H one of the best custom gun makers in North America.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As to the original posted question, ("Why does the Single Shot get passed over so many times?")...

I believe it's because we are no longer a "Nation of Riflemen". That "time" has passed. As a result, a majority of todays hunters often NEED more than one shot.

When I went into the Army, most of us were already good rifle shots because it was commonplace for Dads and sons to "go shooting" at a nearby gravel pit on Sundays. As a result, many of the men in my outfit qualified as "expert" with the M-1 Garand (.30/06 caliber) on the rifle range.

I wonder what percentage of men today would quality as an "expert rifleman" with the M1 Garand (.30/06 caliber semi-automatic rifle) when they've never even HELD a rifle in their hands prior to going into the service?!?

The times, they are "a-changing".

Now, our Armed Forces issue "poddle-shooters" capable of full-auto fire (aka "spray & pray" rifles)... and, sadly, it is obvious "we" are no longer a "Nation-of-Riflemen". frown

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by periscope_depth
Both the single shot and the bolt action are about the same strength...and both of them are more inherently accurate than lever and semi-auto rifles.

How I wish this were true. My M1A 'loaded' will out shoot my Ruger #1 easily, despite my having put a lot of effort into accurizing the Ruger. Then again, my Browning 1885 low wall will also outshoot the Ruger.

Come to think of it, almost every rifle I own will outshoot the #1. But I do love it so.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ron_T
When I went into the Army, most of us were already good rifle shots because it was commonplace for Dads and sons to "go shooting" at a nearby gravel pit on Sundays. As a result, many of the men in my outfit qualified as "expert" with the M-1 Garand (.30/06 caliber) on the rifle range.

The problem with old style BRM was that while people shot well at the range, they tended not to shoot at all in combat. Thanks to modern operant conditioning, almost every infantryman in battle shoot at the enemy.

But there's no denying we are no longer a nation of rifleman. That started around WWII, as the nation changed from agricultural to industrial. No a lot of shooter in the big cities, which is why you'll note that most of the well known snipers in WWII and after come from rural areas.

When I went through Infantry basic in 1980, we had a mix of urban poor and rural poor (this was the end of the Carter years) with a few oddballs like me. About 80%of the people there had never shot a rifle before.

The again, modern tactical doctrine doesn't rely on small arms. The reality is that rifle fire has little impact on modern battles -except in counter insurgency!

Given the type of wars we are likely to fight in the next decade, we better start learning to be rifleman again. Smart bombs and such doen't do much good in COIN ops inside cities.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by DPhillips
My #1 ain't no light weight even in the RSI config.

If Ruger would manufacture different actions, scaled for the cartridges they chamber, instead of one action size fits all, some of the No.1's wouldn't weigh so much. There's page they could take from Hagn, Dakota or a few others. A rifle chambered for a 22-250 doesn't need the same action that a 416 Rigby or 458 Lott does...

You just don't get it. Like the federal government, Ruger decides what you want or need. frown
I have a small collection of Rugr #1s and most are the "B" model which just happens to feel like a club in my hands. yet, my favorite model #1 is the "S" model which Ruger in all their omnipotent wisdon discontinued except for the far too short barreled 45-70. Ever since the #1S model came out, I never found one for sale, nor could any of the gun shops get one for me. Now, I have three picked up at gun shows, two being 200th year guns and all three in .300 Win. Mag. JMHO, but of all the #1 models, to me the "S" model is not only the best looking, but arguably the best balanced of the #1s.
I would love to convert my "B" models to at least have the Alex henry forearm, but Ruger won't sell me the forearms nor will they make the change. mad Kind of makes one wonder how much more money they might by being a bit more accomdating to theur customer base?
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A very simple answer; the single shot rifle is just not for the majority! An even smaller minority choose to hunt with a single shot. What else is there to say!
ENU

Last edited by El_Numero_Uno; 07/13/07.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PJGunner

I agree that the 's' is one of the best(I have a 9.3X74 on order) but I'm also partial to the 1 H. I guess its just a heavier 'S' anyway. Some find it too heavy but I love the looks. I think the 1-H is one of the best looking, but perhaps not best finished, firearms made.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
StillWater,
I have four or five similar events that happened to me in my lifetime, got passed over on several high end guns passed down to grubby fingered sciolists. No one in my family shoots but me. Go figure.

The last and most recent episode was a 1950's Wby Mk V in 257 Wby and a 1960's Wby Mk V in 7 Wby, serial number 74,000, both promised to me by the owners upon their death. One went to the sciolist and the other to a crack head opportunist who sold it for drug money. I know where the 7 is but I refuse to pay $800 at the gun shop where it was sold.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Trying to convince someone who lacks confidence in his or her shooting skills that they should try a single shot is an uphill battle I no long attempt. Pretty miuch like trying to convice me that I need to use a semi outo rifle with high cap. mag., I'd guess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Ever since the #1S model came out, I never found one for sale, nor could any of the gun shops get one for me. Now, I have three picked up at gun shows, two being 200th year guns and all three in .300 Win. Mag. JMHO, but of all the #1 models, to me the "S" model is not only the best looking, but arguably the best balanced of the #1s.Paul B.

PJ,
I agree with you on the "S" model. Been my favorite of the No.1's as well. And, yes, they have been scarce in the gunshops. However, I have never had any problems finding a store owner that couldn't find one for order for me. Unless you were asking for a cartridge Ruger didn't chamber the "S" model in. Sounds like you need to find a dealer that cares about their customers a little more...

Shame they discontinued them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't forget the 1-S is now available in 9.3X74 too. smile

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta
PJGunner

I agree that the 's' is one of the best(I have a 9.3X74 on order) but I'm also partial to the 1 H. I guess its just a heavier 'S' anyway. Some find it too heavy but I love the looks. I think the 1-H is one of the best looking, but perhaps not best finished, firearms made.

I agree. I have three "H"s, a .375 H&H, .404 Jeffery and a .416 Rigby. Unfortunately the idiot I bought the .404 from was a bit of a pussy as he put a muzzle brake on the gun. mad One of these days I'm going to have my gunsmith remove it and make a cap to hide the threads. At $6.25 a pop, the .416 doesn't get shot much either. whistle
Regarding the hunting with a single shot, Al Miller once wrote an article in the January-February #43 isue of Rifle magazine on speed loading the single shot rifle. Allow me to quote one short paragraph from the article, if I may.

"If hunting with a single shot were half as tough as it's supposed to be, millions of elk,buffalo and antelope would still call the Great Plains home. And as for that one round business --- few of last century's African hunters would have lived long enough to write about their adventures if they hadn't been able to crank out a quick second shot now and then. The truth is, a good game shot will do just as well with a single loader as he will with a repeater; an indifferent marksman will fare no worse."

He then goes into some of the various ways to do a reload for a fast second shot and the best ways to practice doing this. It only take 5 or 10 munutes a day to get up to speed. (no pun intended) When I take one of my "one-shooters" to the range, I always finish up with a couple of speed loading sessions.

I don't know if you can get a reprint of that article from Wolfe Publishing or the entire magazine, but hose who are serious about hunting with a single shot rifle should try to get a copy. I would consider it required reading.

As to my difficulty in getting a dealer to find me a #1S, I tried three in Nevada, four in Tucson and two in Phoenix over the years. I would think that at one of them should have been successful. The "B"s and "A"s were thicker than fleas on a hound dog, but nary an "S". I'll keep on hitting the gun shows and trying to find some in calibers other than the .300 Win. mag. A friend said he saw one in .338 Win. Mag. and showed me the guy selling it. By the time we got there, it had been sold. I'll just keep on looking.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Paul,

Wow! If I had known that you wanted one that bad, I'd have let you know. A local gun shop had one in .300 Win. recently, but last I was there, it was gone. frown I entertained the idea for a short time, (Very short!) But since I already had one in a 1-B, I just couldn't justify an "S". 'Sides, I don't really like cluttered up barrels, anyway. smile

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Single shot is a frame of mind, not a frame of a firearm. smile My wife had a 243 NEF Handi, and it was a single shot. She now has a 30-06 bolt action with a 5 shot mag. It is still a single shot. She never cycles the action after she shoots a head of game. Gives me the shakes, but that is my problem. wink I keep telling her, "Reload, reload!" She never listens to me. Argh!

I have a 300 magnum that has never shot more than one round at an animal in its life. Why I carry the mag full of ammo is beyond me. This year I am going to hunt deer with my H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70, and moose with my #1H in 405 Winchester, just to prove to myself that I am a rifleman . . . . or something. smile

Last edited by the_shootist; 07/15/07. Reason: splling airors

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Paul,

Thanks for the post. Too bad about that brake, but still, you have a .404!!! grin

I have the 450/400 on its way and a .458 Lott in a 1-H. I'm considering a .405 and could probably be talked into any 1-H if it had nice wood. Other chamberings (.375, .416 Rigby and Rem) I own in bolt guns already. I probably wouldn't get a .458 win as I own the Lott already.

I've read a similiar article somewhere and I do use the wristband when hunting with the SS.

Last edited by SakoAlberta; 07/15/07.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. PJGunner:
I�ll have to agree with you on the fore end on the 1-B.
I made mine to look a little like a Dakota 10 and a little like a Ruger Alex Henry.
I added a Gentry barrel band then, just cause I like them too.
To me it all feels a bit nicer in the hand. It�s still heavy though��
Thanks
Dwayne

[Linked Image]

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice rifle! What is the chambering?

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The wood on that Ruger is outstanding. Mine is about as plain as a 2x4.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger used to seem to save their best wood for the #1s. Now they are mostly plain. I try to buy them only when I can see them first(ie, not mail order) and the two(I know, I'm just a beginner!)I own so far, are quite good.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. SakoAlberta and Mr. Tod:
Thank you, I agree on the wood.
The butt stock was nice from the factory. The factory fore end was not much to look at. I had to hunt some through my walnut to find a nice match.
It is a .300 Win. Mag. that I believe to be an �82 vintage, complete with the long throat of that era.
It�s been pretty worked over. In addition to the new fore end, I epoxy bedded the butt stock as well as installing the Decelerator.
The factory trigger was replaced with a Moyer�s unit, which was I felt a marked improvement. I also installed a trigger shoe, which is a standard modification my finger seems to require.
As well, I drilled and tapped the mainspring housing with a 6-48 screw and installed a Delrin half-round pressure pad.
The fore end is epoxy bedded on the hanger and does not contact the barrel or receiver.
It shoots OK now, in around 1�-1 ��, if I�m on my game.
One nice result of all the modifications, is that it seems to hold zero exceptionally well, IIRC, 4 years now actually.

I believe your comment on the earlier #1�s having better wood overall could be correct. A good friend, now passed on, had about 10-12 early #1�s form the 60�s and 70�s. They all had very nicely figured stocks, with a couple of them having exceptional wood.

Thanks
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dwayne

Thanks for the info. It is a heck of a nice rifle now.

Now that you mention it, I've seen many nice #1's but I can't say that I've seen any that had a truly nice front stock(factory). Has anyone?

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that I recall, a 22-250 (extremely early production rifle) No. 1 had very nice wood.

I wish Ruger would spend a little more effort on wood, and on the stinking trigger. I'd gladly pay more money.

I ended up with a Kepplinger trigger and a Moulds speed hammer. Since then I have learned a lot about tweaking the Number 1 trigger, and can get them light and crisp with a few modifications. You'd think that Ruger could at least do that. Then again, they are worried about liability.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Paul,

Wow! If I had known that you wanted one that bad, I'd have let you know. A local gun shop had one in .300 Win. recently, but last I was there, it was gone. frown I entertained the idea for a short time, (Very short!) But since I already had one in a 1-B, I just couldn't justify an "S". 'Sides, I don't really like cluttered up barrels, anyway. smile

Grasshopper

That would have given me four rifles in .300 Win. mag. I already have one #1B and somehow snagged up three "S" models all in .300 Win. mag. I went to the grand opening of the new cabela's up by Phoenix and they had another #1S, used and abused, but the price was in my estimation way out of line and they wouldn't dicker.
The #1 I have that is the hardest looking one is a "B" model in 25-06 that looks like it was run hard and put away wet. It looks almost mint compared to the one at Cabela's. It sold while I was there for the $950 they were asking for the gun. Guess old P.T. Barnum was right as I only paid $600 each for my three "S" models. My .300 mag. "B" is a .375" gun right out of the box with 200 gr. Noslers. The one "S" model is also a one inch or better rifle. The two 200th Year "S" models are safe queens for the moment. I might stick a scope on them just to see how they shoot, but no big hurry on that.
Paul B.

MOLON LABE
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Paul,

I will keep a weather-eye out for #1-S models. If and when I find one, I'll let you know. If you think I'll forget, just ask 1-B, smile

BTW, I can't believe someone would pay $950 for a beat-up 1-S. blush Somebody bumped their head...

G.H.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Then again, they are worried about liability.

Isn't that the sad truth? We even have to tolerate that silly warning on many of their barrels. frown

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have always liked the #1, and in fact handled one in .204 only a week ago...and I was tempted, I'll admit that. And I would love to have one. However, I have heard that they are somewhat problematic as far as accuracy is concerned. And for me, that is a concern. I have two T/C's, one a G2 and one an Encore, in .17 Remington, mainly because I shoot left-handed and finding a lefty .17 is a real pain. Bolt guns, in addition to being cheaper, are probably easier to make accurate with less work. That is a perception, anyway.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
True... DELGUE... but they don't have the "mystic" and allure of the #1.

Keep thinking about it, you'll end up with one... eventually. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dear Delgue,

I have 2 Ruger #1's in .204, a #1-V and a #1-B. I am very happy with both as both are sub 1/2" rifle for 3 shot groups. I just hunt with the #1-B as its a little more accurate than my #1-V and a lot lighter to carry.

Doc

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Read something recently where a regional writer was reviewing a new bolt-gun, don't remember the details, just that somewhere in the article he bemoaned the fact that it only had a three-shot magazine capacity, would be better if it were five. Gotta keep in mind, guys and girls, those of us inhabiting this forum are, for the most part rifle loonies. Probably fifty percent of the market for firearms is withing that 95 percent of hunters who aren't really shooters and who sure aren't rifle loonies. To most of them a single shot rifle is an anathema.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ron T: I expect you're right, esp. if Ruger is talking about dropping the #1 or reducing the number of calibers it's offered in. I may have to see about that .204, or perhaps the 6.5 Swede when it comes out.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Attn Ruger: 22lr #1 in full dress please. Then we can talk about the Bob and Swede.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It would be, INDEED, a "sad" day if Ruger drops Bill Ruger's "pet" rifle. The #1 was his "love"... his "mistress", if you will.

But "Corporate America" has done many things worse than that... unfortunately.

However, I hope those in command at Ruger will preserve the #1 in all its forms.

Meanwhile, if you REALLY want (down "deep" where you "live") one, then I suggest you get off your dead fanny and GET it !~!~!

I've got mine... and YOU need to get YOUR's... then we can "smile" while the world around us goes "bonkers". smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Besides not being the ideal for dangerous game, the main reason I think some do not use a SS is a lack of confidence in shooting.
They want that second shot. I am sure cost could be an issue as well.
I don't shoot rifles, but my hunting handguns are all single-shots:
XP-100's, MOA Maximum, and Contender

I have not yet felt handicapped hunting or shooting them.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Xphunter. If the single shot was so poor during hunting dangerous game, a lot of young British officers in Africa and India would have bought the farm.

Seriously, if I could afford an African hunt, I'd take two rifles. My #1S in .300 Win. mag. and my .416 Rigby. Yes, Cape Buffalo would definitely be on the menu. It only takes maybe five minutes practice a day using spent brass and a couple of dummy round to get reasonaly quick as reloading for that second shot, should one be necessary. I've hunted with Number Ones since 1975 and I feel confident enough to not worry any more than someone with a repeating rifle under the same circumstances.
With practice, one can use the recoil and part of the reloading plan. As the rifle recoils back at you, you drop the lever and tilt the rifle to the right (left for left handers)to insure the empty casing doesn't hang up on the safety button. Then, you slide the hand at the forearm to the breech with the thumb covering the opening and the hand holding the rifle with the muzzle tilted down. You reach for the next round from your storage place of choice and with the index finger helping to guide the bullet to the chamber mouth the thumb is moved out of the way and the round allowed to fall into the chamber. Raise the lever closing the breech, aim and fire the next shot, should it be necessary. All this is done while continually keeping your eye on the target or game animal.
I know that sounds slow and complicated as hell, but it works.
The important thing is to make that first shot count, but do the rapid reload in case it doesn't. So far, I haven't had to take a second shot yet, but who knows? I might screw up come this years deer hunt. I hope not, but if I do, I know that I can get another shot off in plenty of time.
Edited to add, comment by Al Miler of Rifel magazine on hunting with single shot rifles.

"If hunting with a single shot were half as tough as it's supposed to be, millions of elk,buffalo and antelope would still call the Great Plains home. And as for that one round business --- few of last century's African hunters would have lived long enough to write about their adventures if they hadn't been able to crank out a quick second shot now and then. The truth is, a good game shot will do just as well with a single loader as he will with a repeater; an indifferent marksman will fare no worse."

He then goes into some of the various ways to do a reload for a fast second shot and the best ways to practice doing this. It only take 5 or 10 minutes a day to get up to speed. (no pun intended) When I take one of my "one-shooters" to the range, I always finish up with a couple of speed loading sessions.

Paul B.

Last edited by PJGunner; 07/21/07.

MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Nice post, Paul.

Obviously I own a single shot Thompson/Encore with an aftermarket .260 Remington barrel. The pistol grip on this rifle is very sharp and the stock fits me perfectly. The result is that if "feels" like it comes up very fast and I can get on target quickly. The added weight in the barrel makes the rifle very steady with recoil feeling more like a 30-30 than a .260 Remington.

I have 5 rounds in a stock cover sleeve....and with a little bit of practice...I can have a new round chambered in nearly the same amount of time it takes to move a bolt back and forth.

From time to time I practice doing quick follow up shots and have come to realize that the most time consuming action is reaquiring the target after the initial shot. With bolt action and single shots....you nearly always have to take your eye of the target....either because of the recoil or to get a better angle in operating the bolt. My Thompson/Encore comes up SO quickly that I am sure I can get a 2nd shot accurately placed faster than most with a bolt.

To this end, there is something to be said about recoil. I promise you that I can put a more accurate follow up shot quicker with my single shot .260 Rem than the average bloke with his bolt action .300 Magnum.

We are just splitting hairs, unless that hunter with his .300 Magnum is afraid of his rifle and misses the bread basket with his first shot.

Something to make you think about.....no?

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PJ,

This past weekend there were two separate .300 Mag #1 Ss for sale on Guns America (IIRC) for around $600! (The number on one was #976882760.) They were not beaten up either. There also as a .218 B for $900. I almost jumped one them but then remembered a big local show this weekend.

Grasshopper makes omne helluve personal sjopper. He fopund my #1B i 7x57 for me!

Good luck,
1B

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
1B. It seems like quite a few #1S models in .300 Win. mag. have been popping up in the last year or so. There's my 3, the one at Cabela's and now the 2 you mention. I know darn well they were chambered to other cartridges. I even saw one in .338 Win. mag. but the price was so out of line I had to ask the guy if snatching little old ladies purses was his day job? I mean $1,600 for a used and somewhat abused #1? Gimme a break. Some people at gun shows seem to think their stuff is way more valuable than it is. Oh well. there's one coming up this week end. maybe I'll bet lucky.
Paul B.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Xphunter. If the single shot was so poor during hunting dangerous game, a lot of young British officers in Africa and India would have bought the farm.

Seriously, if I could afford an African hunt, I'd take two rifles. My #1S in .300 Win. mag. and my .416 Rigby. Yes, Cape Buffalo would definitely be on the menu. It only takes maybe five minutes practice a day using spent brass and a couple of dummy round to get reasonaly quick as reloading for that second shot, should one be necessary. I've hunted with Number Ones since 1975 and I feel confident enough to not worry any more than someone with a repeating rifle under the same circumstances.
With practice, one can use the recoil and part of the reloading plan. As the rifle recoils back at you, you drop the lever and tilt the rifle to the right (left for left handers)to insure the empty casing doesn't hang up on the safety button. Then, you slide the hand at the forearm to the breech with the thumb covering the opening and the hand holding the rifle with the muzzle tilted down. You reach for the next round from your storage place of choice and with the index finger helping to guide the bullet to the chamber mouth the thumb is moved out of the way and the round allowed to fall into the chamber. Raise the lever closing the breech, aim and fire the next shot, should it be necessary. All this is done while continually keeping your eye on the target or game animal.
I know that sounds slow and complicated as hell, but it works.
The important thing is to make that first shot count, but do the rapid reload in case it doesn't. So far, I haven't had to take a second shot yet, but who knows? I might screw up come this years deer hunt. I hope not, but if I do, I know that I can get another shot off in plenty of time.
Edited to add, comment by Al Miler of Rifel magazine on hunting with single shot rifles.

He then goes into some of the various ways to do a reload for a fast second shot and the best ways to practice doing this. It only take 5 or 10 minutes a day to get up to speed. (no pun intended) When I take one of my "one-shooters" to the range, I always finish up with a couple of speed loading sessions.

Paul B.

Paul,
Thanks for the info. The excuse I posted is the one I hear a lot.
I have never hunted dangerous game, but 99% of my hunting is with a single-shot.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Poor shooting skills. Lack of confidence. Peer pressure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd agree with some here that expense and not feeling confident with a single round are the two most significant reasons singles are passed by. About 25% of my units are singles with the rest being bolts. They all get loaded with a single round though. Mostly I just like the lines and simplicity of single shots. 1Minute

1Minute
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 219DW, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 50 invisible), 9,947 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,350
Posts18,546,652
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.